Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Kenjaras 3D Prints Options
kenjara
#1 Posted : 30 June 2016 13:03:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I thought I would create a thread to keep any noteworthy prints I have attempted in.

Last night I attempted my biggest print yet which was a 7.5cm tall statue of a knight.

It had an estimated time of 1 hour 40 minutes but took closer to 3 hours.

It was well worth it and my favorite print so far.

I had already printed a scaled down version of this model and liked it so much I wanted to attempt a bigger one.

You can downloaded the model here

Credits for the model go to user bs3 on Thingiverse.

As you can see there was a lot of support structure to remove at the end.

I used some pliers and a flat head screw driver to remove most of it.

After a little more tidying up I intend to paint this model and give it a grass base.

One thing about http://www.thingiverse.com/ if you print someones model you can upload a photo of your result and thank them for the model.
I try to do this for any models I download.

I am currently working on some of my own 3D models in 123D Design.

My first model is likely to be a tank.
Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
ian smith
#2 Posted : 30 June 2016 15:21:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

HI Shane.
Great to see your prints. what else do you have in mind to do.
Ian
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
kenjara
#3 Posted : 30 June 2016 17:18:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

With regards to making my own 3D models to print I want to try to make a tank and plane next.

The printer comes with a really good tutorial on how to use Auto desk 123D and I want to put what I have learned to practice.

As for things other people have made I have my eye on a monster truck (with working suspension), an articulated stormtrooper figure and R2-D2.

Looking at models online is quite literally like being a kid in a sweet shop.

delboy271155
#4 Posted : 30 June 2016 19:44:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

I like the knight, he`s cool.

Good idea with the thread.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#5 Posted : 30 June 2016 22:03:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

It really is great to see some prints appearing on the forum and the knight looks fab. Design and print off your own complete chess set, completely personalised....

Regards

Alan
ian smith
#6 Posted : 01 July 2016 13:05:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Shane.
Look forward to seeing some more prints.
some great ideas you have in mind.
Ian
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
kenjara
#7 Posted : 01 July 2016 13:24:58

Thanks for the comments guys.

I am traveling to a wedding weekend at the moment. Here is a sneak peak of what I have been creating on the train.

It's not based on anything in particular, I am just making it up as I go.

kenjara
#8 Posted : 05 July 2016 19:04:03

I have painted the knight model I printed and added some grass to the base. Not bad for a 3D printed model. :)

Tomick
#9 Posted : 05 July 2016 20:06:32

Groups:

That looks great, well done!
Nemesis
#10 Posted : 05 July 2016 20:17:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The Knight is so cool!! I love it!!
kenjara
#11 Posted : 05 July 2016 22:19:17

Thanks it still makes me giddy to think that this is something printed by the idbox and can be finished to a standard I am happy with.

That is without looking at smoothing the plastic either. I hear clear nail varnish can be used to smooth PLA so I will try that soon.

3D printing is certainly something special considering this is a model printed and not brought from a shop!

Printable model kits coming soon???

Spal
#12 Posted : 05 July 2016 23:36:33

That knight looks great.
Technology is a wonderful thing.

Al
kenjara
#13 Posted : 06 July 2016 22:30:52

I have printed two new warriors to go with my knight.

A samurai and Roman legionnaire. They need a little more cleaning up before I can paint them.

Spal
#14 Posted : 07 July 2016 00:56:46

They look great, you seem to be enjoying your printer.

Al
kenjara
#15 Posted : 07 July 2016 10:13:39

Cheers Al.

One of the great things I have found with 3D printing is that I am getting to print and paint the kind of models you just wouldn't see in model shops.

kenjara
#16 Posted : 14 July 2016 19:44:10

Well I have had fun configuring my printer over the last week.

I was attempting some bigger build (x and y axis) and realised how badly my table must of been setup. Prints in the middle were working fine but everything else was ending in a nozzle jam.

After messing about with the table I got to a stage where nothing was printing but have finally got back to were I was.

I have been giving some of the internet tips a go regarding adhesion of the first layer. I tried hair spray but I don't think I was putting enough on.
It certainly provides a tackiness to the bed though.

Currently I am trying blue painters tape which seems to be even better than the buildtak sheet.

I am attempting to print R2-D2.

I say attempting as there is still a good chance of it resulting in a pile of melted plastic :)

kenjara
#17 Posted : 19 July 2016 08:29:26

The current theme seems to be robots.

After performing some maintenance on my printer to get it up and going again I decided to try this Bender bust as it was a simple shape.

It has been sprayed Aluminium gloss and is ready for me to paint the details on.

Next I again attempted to print a model of R2-D2. I was not sure how this was going to turn out as the model seemed to be a high polygon/detail model not really designed for 3D printed.

I was impressed with the results especially given the complexity with the legs of the model. There is still a fair amount of tidying up on this model before it can be painted.

There was a slight mishap when removing the support structure. I took the middle leg off with it and had to glue it back on. I found plastic model glue did not do anything but super glue worked fine.

This print had an estimated print time of 2 hours but took around 4.

Now I think I need to go and find a C-3PO to print.

davetwin
#18 Posted : 19 July 2016 13:40:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That R2D2 is really cool, you seem to be having a lot of fun playing with the printer.

I'm wondering with the R2D2 if it would have been an easier print broken down into different parts and then stuck together afterwards?
kenjara
#19 Posted : 19 July 2016 18:41:51

Thanks Dave yeah it's so much fun. Printing takes a long time though so you have to pick carefully as one model can take a whole evening.

You are right it would of been easier in parts and some model makers do this.

There are other advantages to printing in parts such as making a model that is bigger for your printer and making parts that articulate.

I am attempting my biggest print yet now. It's a spaceship from a game called Elite Dangerous and is nearly the full depth of the print bed.

delboy271155
#20 Posted : 19 July 2016 19:46:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Some terrific stuff on show here WTG.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"