Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Kenjaras 3D Prints Options
Gandale
#21 Posted : 19 July 2016 22:30:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Can see you well on your way to mastering the art of 3D printing and its great to see your progress.... Very well done...

Regards

Alan
kenjara
#22 Posted : 20 July 2016 08:30:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Thanks guys I think I have finally hit the sweet spot with regard to calibrating my printer as this is the first time such a wide print has adhered to the print table so well.

Before I go onto the print here is a photo of my bender model now painted.

I took some photos of my sidewinder spaceship as it was being printed so that you can see it building up. I do want to record an entire print run at some point and speed it up but there are some technical challenges to overcome before I can do that.

About an hour and a half into printing.

About 3 hours in.

Finished in around 3 and a half hours.

The finished item (still needs some sanding down and there is still some structure to remove in the gaps half way down the side of the ship).

Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
AgentReverie
#23 Posted : 25 July 2016 21:57:35

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic! I think I might inaugurate my idbox with a little knight like that!
kenjara
#24 Posted : 25 July 2016 22:57:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It's a really nice model. If you follow the link to the knight and look at the creators profile you see they have made plenty of cool stuff. You can also download the knight model in a few different poses.

If Romans or Samurai are more your thing he has those as well.

I have been working more on creating some of my own models. I have not continued the tank yet as I need to transfer it from a laptop. I have however been working on a hovercraft in my lunch break.

This is all from what I have learned from doing the Autodesk tutorials in the magazines so they are well worth doing.

I used the loft tool to create the hull from two different 2d shapes. The upper shape was scaled down from the lower one to give it an angle.

The skirt was created using the sweep too. The sweep tool is quite buggy but I managed to get it to work after a few attempts. You can use it to run a 2d shape around an edge or path to create a solid.

You can not see it yet but I used the subtract tool to dig out an area for the fan duct. The next step is to hollow out the duct and work on a blade mount.

Nemesis
#25 Posted : 26 July 2016 16:55:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I love Bender!! Excellent work!!
kenjara
#26 Posted : 26 July 2016 20:25:30

Thank you. The bender bust is one of my favorites, it looks great on my shelf and to think I didn't buy it either!

Here are some more screenshots of my hovercraft process from today's lunch break. After it is done I am going to separate it into logical parts to print and glue it together.

This will mean print times will be faster and there will be less support structure and sanding required.

I have now hollowed out the fan duct and modeled the rear rudders. I have also created the cockpit area.

davetwin
#27 Posted : 26 July 2016 21:40:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Your hovercraft is looking really cool, I can tell you're having a lot of fun this
delboy271155
#28 Posted : 26 July 2016 23:07:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Can`t wait to see this one, it looks good.

Have you made an approximate costing for these little gems out of interest?

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

kenjara
#29 Posted : 26 July 2016 23:12:46

I am having lots of fun Dave. 3D design is something I always wanted to get more competent at so this goes hand in hand with the 3D printer. I think the learning experience is worth the cost alone.

Well once the printer is ready to print it will let you know how many metres of filament it will take. You buy filament by weight so a kg costs me around £16 and I will need to work out roughly how long a kg of filament is to work out a cost per model.

I think there are apps out there that can help work that out.

kenjara
#30 Posted : 29 July 2016 08:30:36

A small update work has begun on the propeller.

The propeller blades were created using 3 different sized oval shapes and the loft command. This created a varying thickness.

The blades were then rotated around a cylinder to create the propeller. This was done using a function called smart rotate. This is a really useful feature because you select a plane and then rotate and object around the plane. By selecting the front plane on my cylinder I was able to easily rotate blades around it.

davetwin
#31 Posted : 29 July 2016 11:30:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking really good!

Im wondering if it is as complicated to use the software as it sounds?
kenjara
#32 Posted : 29 July 2016 12:41:39

To give you a little insight into my 3D design experiences.

Before giving Autodesk 123d a go I used Blender a lot. As a learning tool blender was awful. It was capable of a lot more than autodesk but the amount of interface clutter, shortcuts and modes you had to learn made it very difficult.

Autodesk on the other hand has a much more simple interface and for creating static 3D objects it is much more straight forward.

All of the core tools are there in front of you and easy to find and it is a lot less buggy than blender.

It also has a great manual help you learn all of its features so needless to say for 3D printing I jumped ship pretty fast.

As for learning 3D design from scratch Autodesk is a much better entry point. I wouldn't say 3D design is not complicated but its far less complicated than it looks from the outside.

Once you gain familiarity with the tools and know what to use and when then you can quickly gain the experience required to make more complex models.

I never thought I would be able to make anything like this hovercraft model, but from using what I learned in the tutorials in the idbox mag and a little research online I have managed to get to this stage.

Spal
#33 Posted : 29 July 2016 14:25:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow that certainly looks good, looking forward to seeing the end result.

Al
kenjara
#34 Posted : 01 August 2016 12:51:42

Instead of going ahead and starting to put some detail into the hovercraft cockpit I decided that I would get the hull ready to print with the idea of printing any details separately.

First I loaded the hovercraft model as is into the 3d printer software to see what print solution it would come up with.

As you can see the air duct is filled with solid dark blue. Dark blue represents a printed area and this means that the entire duct will be filled with support material in order to support the top of the duct. This demonstrates why it makes sense to split a complex model up before printing. Not only will this increase the print time but it will mean the model will require more sanding in order to get rid of the support material.

With this in mind I started splitting my model up so that it can be printed in parts. Here I am left with just the hull and mount for the motor. There are also cutouts for the air duct so that it should be easy to fit and glue later on.

With this model imported into the 3D printer software you can see that the print solution looks a lot more simple and the time to print is significantly lower.

I managed to print a couple more items over the weekend.

The first is a Yoshi cup coaster which looks cool and works really well.

It could do with some rubber padding underneath to give it a little more grip on shiny surfaces though.

Yoshi Untersetzer - Yoshi coaster by Renngarage

The second is another ship from my favorite space game Elite Dangerous.

This is the ASP explorer, my current craft in the game. It needs some more tidying but I really like how the engines have come out.

ASP (Elite Dangerous) by JotaErre