Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

13 Pages «<89101112>»
FraH2o Building Diary - An Italian job Options
Markwarren
#181 Posted : 17 January 2020 09:57:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Excellent work, it is going to be a stunning model when completed.Love Love Drool Drool

Mark
frah2o
#182 Posted : 18 January 2020 08:41:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Markwarren wrote:
Excellent work, it is going to be a stunning model when completed.Love Love Drool Drool

Mark

Thanks to much Mark Blushing

I started the finishing work on underface of undertray. I spray 5 times of clear matt and final coat from far to give a rough look (especially in the flat zone).

- I extra add joint and hose to the brakes and clutch tank. Just add for photo because i'll fit the nose cone that will hide it.

- I polished the fire exstinguisher and the ducts from intercooler to inlet manifold.

- I added the bolts (with punch & die) to gearknob bracket and a final paint touch.

- I add some detail to showa sunspension control unit: i add the protection pad, the sticker R,F,E (rear, front, ecu), i added the fixing system to monocoque and i silver paint the plug to ECU. I also add the protection aluminium profile ad the base of tunnel legs.

Collection active: Lotus 97T, Audi Quattro A2, Vw Maggiolino '60

Work in progress: Porsche 911 RS Turbo

Completed model: Delta WRC Martini, Mclaren MP4/4, Golf GTI 1/8 Tuned
frah2o
#183 Posted : 20 January 2020 13:34:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

- I erased the rivet and i added the bolt head with punch&die. I repainted all exhaust window in silver leaf

- As i lost the original linkage for anti roll bar regulator, i remade it by myself. In the future i'll appky the new decal

- I fitted monocoque to cockpit and linked all extra cable (anti roll bar, brake bias). The excess of rough will be covered by the seat

- I fitted definitevely the hub (before drill all holes)

- I started the extra detail for missing Jabroc stripes on inside face of vertical pillars of front wing.

birdaj2
#184 Posted : 20 January 2020 19:29:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

So impressed by the level of detail you are adding to this and also your knowledge of what you are building.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
frah2o
#185 Posted : 21 January 2020 09:28:03

birdaj2 wrote:
So impressed by the level of detail you are adding to this and also your knowledge of what you are building.

Tony

Thanks very much Tony, one of the most enjoy of building is the research of details on real car.....it's enjoying until you find it, if not it's no so enjoying Flapper

I'm quite finished the front wing....but i'm not totally satisfied with the result

- I applied the PE bolts on inside face of pillars on Jabroc strips

- I slighty details on rivet of flap (just a little of panel line)

- I write the script inside the front wing (I reply the chassis 2...chassis that Ayrton used to win Suzuka GP and championship in 1988)

- I added a little screw head PE on wing screws that fixxed the pillars.
I black painted the screw like on 1:1

- Front wing completed....but i'n mot really satisfied. I would fill and make on pice the front of nose...but to do this will be a lot of modify and work (full repainting and decaling)
So I will made this, i will have to full paint the bodyshell.....a really big and long work.
Unfortunately i don't have time...on 7 march the mclaren must completed for display it at Modelspace italian stand of Model expo italy.
So i don't have many times for work on bodyshell

Markwarren
#186 Posted : 21 January 2020 11:25:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Some beautiful detailing.Love Love

Mark
frah2o
#187 Posted : 23 January 2020 16:17:47

1/2

I started to work on gearbox to rest a bit form decalling work

- I filled the gerabox half part and i black matt repainted

- I coated in clear matt the suspensions arm bracket like I saw in references book

- I made the missing oil gerabox cap, this cap also hide the screw

- I remade the broken joint for absorber tank and new braided hose

- I covered the screw of side joint for oil gerabox cooler

- i cut the printed bolts and i remade new bolts with puch and die for gearbox case, suspension arms and absorber

- I remade the joint for oil cooler

frah2o
#188 Posted : 24 January 2020 07:45:46

2/2

- I remade a little bit more rough welding lines on the oil tank\ vapor canister.

- Some pics on gearbox work in progress

frah2o
#189 Posted : 24 January 2020 07:56:08

I started to study the fitting and system of some hoses and cables

After watching somes pics I think to undertand the connection for fuel sistem.
On the top of monocoque (between ecu unit and fuel filler) are two joints: the inlet and oulet fuel lines.
These hose running and connect to fuel pressure valve that is on the rear of engine at the bottom of inlet manifold

I also study the connection of some cooling hose

I think to understand that the pink hose that start from each radiators, runs from radiators and goes to water tank that is under the manifold.
On the right side of this tank there is the filler cap. From this cap start a hose that run near the manifold, run under the oil filler tank and finish on the rear of gerbox. This is the cooling bleeder hose

I made a basical pics with the kit parts

Another study is the oil gearbox cooler. On motegi chassis, the cooler is withot the thermometer.
On race car there's 2 thermometer on the top of oil cooler.

Markwarren
#190 Posted : 24 January 2020 14:07:47

Loving the attention to detail you are giving this.Love Drool

Mark
RM1
#191 Posted : 24 January 2020 19:31:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Remarkable amount of study and work going on here. Amazing stuff. !!
Malc.
frah2o
#192 Posted : 25 January 2020 10:19:52

Markwarren wrote:
Loving the attention to detail you are giving this.Love Drool

Mark

RM1 wrote:
Remarkable amount of study and work going on here. Amazing stuff. !!
Malc.

Thanks too much Mark and Malc. BigGrin

I quite finished the gearbox, just remaining some little details that will be completed when i'll fit with RA168e

- I fitted all hydraulic braided hoses (with heatshield alu) for gerabox lubrification and cooling system

- I added some head nuts on rear antiroll bar for a little extra details

- I placed the coooling bleeder hose that will run on water tank near the inlet manifold

- I started the last part of carbon work on upper face of undertray. I started to work on template to understand the carbon that i need (also with future heatshield)

- Just remaining some final nuts, but gearbox is quite completed.

frah2o
#193 Posted : 03 February 2020 10:30:15

Last week was holiday and I had 8 free days for work ..... I will bore you with a sequence of posts on the progress of work, Verona Model Expo is approaching and mclaren will must be ready for Modelspace stand

After working on gearbox I come back to the extractor after it received a full matt clear

Extractor:

- slight wheatering to the exhaust frames with a mixture of burn blue and titanium powders

- complete wheatering with brown powder to "filter" all the carbon that (like on references) is brown and very rough as a finish

- With white chalk I highlight the previous scratches and I highlight the scrapes with the ground.

- I laid the first part of the heat shield. The adhesive aluminum from DeA and mine was too thick as a texture. The shield looks almost smooth with a minimal texture. I took my aluminum and rolled it with the handle of the cutter and finally positioned.

Engine oil cooler:

The one proposed by DeA is correct in shape, but very rough and with too many joint lines.
I filled with cyano glue, added welding lines and finally repainted in aluminum

Alternator belt and pulley:

- as usual in each kit the belts are huge in thickness

I started to thin it in the hope of not breaking it .... at least I obtained the ideal thickness: black rubber on the belt, flat aluminum on the pulley and detail of the alternator pulley bolt. I Added PE bolts and perforated camshaft pulley carter as in references.

Seat:

- I Added cushion on the sacral area and I added strips for the lumbar and shoulder areas as in references

frah2o
#194 Posted : 03 February 2020 10:49:10

Exhaust turbo pipes

- from previous work I had left out the 2 lambdas with relative protection. For the base I used a 2,5 m washer. aluminum-coated styrene tube and finally the lambda wiring

Intake manifold

- I installed the mounting system by opening the slot in order to insert the flange now welded to the ducts with the throttles that will join the intercoolers

- Another difference is that the main body of the collector is a semi-opaque, the ducts of the butterflies are a little bit shiny black.

- Another missing detail on the intake manifold is the missing of two bolts (perhaps for inspection or for other). Before being able to position them, I filed the poisition so as to make it oblique to give the right angle for the future bolts. Once this was done, I painted everything with the color combo described above and I made the bolts with the usual punch & die

Wastegate

- another peculiarity of this car is the different application of a wastegate pressure hose on the top of wastegate unit. This hose was not ever present in each GP. Fortunately, Hiro's book has a clear photo from above for Suzuka's GP, the tube was absent and there was the blind bolt.

Throttle body control.

- totally absent and quite visible in their absence.
I tried to reproduce them in my best personal way. I used a U-folded aluminum tape and drilled with a 1.4 drill.
I remade the spring with a 0.5 thread, everything was fixed with a screw. This will be followed by painting of the silver titanium brackets and future bolts

- I started to work on the main throttle control bar controlled by the tie rod of gas cable to the pedal.

Injector rail and fuel pressure valve:

- the petrol pressure valve is drilled to add the inlet and outlet fuel hoses. These hoses will run from pressure valve to the top of monocoque between Ecu unit and fuel filler

frah2o
#195 Posted : 03 February 2020 10:57:34

I finished the carbon work on inside of front under tray section. I coated with clear matt and I finished the work with heat shield

I started the work on scraped on the outside of under tray...but I must rework on this to dark a little bit the with scratches.

frah2o
#196 Posted : 03 February 2020 13:21:22

I started the resto mode of my RA168E

As suggested by good friend, all that is visible I must try to reproduced.

I started by rebuilding the fixing brackets of the electrical connectors on the upper front of rocker covers.

The connectors have been replaced with the TopStudio and the brackets have been painted in dark steel. I used the fixing plate of the engine to the monocoque to firmly fix the selfmade connector brackets

Another missing details:

- the brackets for the wastegate valves to avoid break due to excessive vibrations ... I selfmade with rod and I selfmade the little bracket on wastegate body and finally fixxed on the rear of cams cover.

- Other detail missed: a hosethat start from the wastegate and link to a tank fixed behind the heads (I think a compensation tank for pressure signal
- I made by myself the tanks that are positioned on the fixing screws (which were also hidden). The hose has been lined with heat shield aluminum

I have also added a series of PE bolts both on the intake ducts and on the three Allen screws that secure the spark plug ignition cover.

Another missing: the two sensors of the turbo pressure both on the turbo and on the exhaust manifold.
To recreate the 4 snsors on the manifolds and on the turbos: base with punch & die painted in burnt red steel, a nut with 1.4 m bolt and a 1.2metal rod

I also connected the oil-water cooler

frah2o
#197 Posted : 03 February 2020 13:25:25

I Connect the fuel inlet and oulet to the fuel pressure valve behind the intake manifold
I Added the missing wiring of the coils and wastegate tanks

Another mod:I added the filler cap of the water expansion tank. Pipe made from 2 mm tin and self-made plug (drilled to be connected to the bleed tube that will run along the gearbox).
Then I added the future joint for the pipes that from the radiators will go to the expansion tank.

And some final pics…

frah2o
#198 Posted : 04 February 2020 09:26:34

Before to prooced with the mechanics, I need to work on some elements that are under processing by the expert and patient hands of my friends with some precision tools that I haven’t ..... so I moved my attention to the wings and bodyshell

The rear wing: I went away from this element that always makes me fear

Before starting, I analyzed the Gurney strip at the top of the highest profile: it was present in Suzuka.
I covered it in carbon and behind I give a light coat of panel line to highlight the alley screws that fix the Gurney

The central pillar was born divided by kits: now it was a little hard to fill and sand them in the middle: so I glued, I put aluminum strip and I think is a little better now.

After this I started the assembly of wings and I can say that also this work is gone.

After rear wing I returned to the bodyshell which has many small deficiencies:
First of all, the heat shield: I only used it in the area of the intercoolers and turbo-exhausts as per narrow reference ..... my doubt is to know if there was also part of the hump. I asked Sandro and Riccardo and they told me that probably not ..... not happy I wrote an email .... to the Mclaren factory. Maybe they'll take me crazy and trash, maybe they'll answer me

To finish the coating work I used the first shell as a template to avoid stressing the underlying carbon.

Other missing and reproduced elements:

- the fixing plate for the vents of the intercooler/radiators
- upper Allen screws always for fixing these vents
- paint detail bolts of transmission oil cooler vent
- plates and Allen screws underneath the gearbox oil cooler

Then I started studying the panels to increase and decrease the temperature of the radiator vents.
The book explains that to keep the temperatures under control (depending on the circuits and also of the sessions) these bulkheads were increased / decreased. The flow and temperatures were regulated only at the exit as the entrance was fixed. Steve Nichols could vary these openings up to 8 times per session.
This is to say that the Motegi MP4/4-5 is exposed with open vents.
In Suzuka (in the race) Ayrton had these bulkheads mounted on his MP4/4-2 to keep the temperature warmer

frah2o
#199 Posted : 04 February 2020 09:48:59

I don’t have pics of inside of these panel vent but I deduce that are like the inside of bodyshell……so I covered with carbon.

Finally a couple of photos of the body in progress.

If I don't have any last minute disaster ,I plan to finish it in time to showt it on the Modelspace stand like last year ...... in the new updated version 2.0

frah2o
#200 Posted : 05 February 2020 10:35:23

I go on with the wing and bodyshell.

I started from a mini brain teaser with decal: the Marlboro sponsor is divided into 4 on the rear wing profiles ....at lest I placed it without problem.

For the rear side I was not sure what combo there was on the back of the highest wing profile .... a photo of Ayrton's post in Suzuka soved me this doubt.

Another detail seen on the net: the wording written on the inside of bodyshell. I wanted to highlight the fact that Ayrton used in the race and won with the T-car.
I wanted to replicate the wording using the initials of the chassis ant T-car

I then started to place the rest of the sponsors.

I placed all easily….until with the front nose Marlboro logo that is wrong

To see the mistake: the left decal is from the Museum Collection and correct, as it is curved and with a portion of L and B that go to the monocoque.
The MSM Creation decals perfect in all (also in size) except for this decal which instead of the curve was made straight.

If only I had noticed before I would have split the decal and positioned by hand. I removed the wrong decal and I ordered a new decal for front nose.