Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

13 Pages «<34567>»
FraH2o Building Diary - An Italian job Options
frah2o
#81 Posted : 05 July 2017 09:40:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Gandale wrote:
A joy to follow, excellent work....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan...relly thanks too much.

Now i've a problem to show you

I'm near to the end (according to the instruction book), but for what I understand, I am at the harder stage of buildingt: checking all the components and final fitting

Yesterday I did not have the opportunity to proceed with building, I spent time to study the following steps: laying the whole electrical system and the various cabling.

The instruction book explains how to fix wiring.

On both sides of the monocoque the instructions tell them to fix them with tape strips.

- Red box: in the reality on the left side I can’s see ties (on the race car), on the car museum you can see the ties.

- Green box: on the right side of the car, this wiring (that is the accelerator cable that runs inside the seat to the pedals) is not anchored to the monocoque. Kyosho's instructions tell to always fix the cable with the tapes, which I will not do because it does not respect the reality.

- Yellow box: It is always the accelerator wiring that goes down inside the driver compartment to go to the pedals. In the racing car this cable is held anchored with aluminum strips. In the museum car there is a band of adhesive tape that keeps it attached to the monocoque.

If I want to do it easily with the accelerator cable, I put the tape inside the passenger compartment, and I’ll fix the other cables with a little bit CA glue direct on the monocoque

If I want to complicate my life I have to make at least 5 aluminum plates and then fix them on the ties.

3 would be for the right-hand cabling on the monocoque and then painted in black (fuel mix and other steering wheel steering)

2 would be put in the passenger compartment to hold the accelerator cable and leave it in aluminum as in the picture

At this point I ask you what would be better to do.
Thanks

frah2o attached the following image(s):
IMG_6816bis.jpg
IMG_6817.JPG
IMG_6818.JPG
IMG_6819.JPG
IMG_6819bis.jpg
IMG_6820.JPG
IMG_6821.JPG
IMG_6821bis.jpg
IMG_6822.JPG
IMG_6823.JPG
Collection active: Lotus 97T, Audi Quattro A2, Vw Maggiolino '60

Work in progress: Porsche 911 RS Turbo

Completed model: Delta WRC Martini, Mclaren MP4/4, Golf GTI 1/8 Tuned
frah2o
#82 Posted : 07 July 2017 06:58:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

I placed the first 2 of the 4 control units.

I started from that just behind the fuel cap.

To made same as the real car I picked it up some cabling with shrink.
The cable tended to shake and to try to remedy this ugly defect I gave a little CA glue on the side of control unit.
The effect was quite good but I was not satisfied yet.
It was from a while that I was looking at the strap holding the control unit.
I started to try to reproduce it.

I took a clutch cable used in my lambretta and stuck a single metal wire.
With clamps and tweezers I tried to produce 2 buckles (I guess).
For the belt in my idea was to use the shrink but it was too thin and also did not let it stick very easily from the CA glue.

I cut 2 mm wide black tape, I did the long strip and the two strap pieces at the ends of the buckles.
I think is a quite good job.
Today I try to do the test fit with the roll bar and the lid of fuel cap to see that everything work and fit good.

It was then the turn of the cockpit cable cables and the accelerator cable.
The gas cable was fixed with a tape stipe on the side of the pilot seat.

For the pilot seat I have this personal nightmare and need a special mention (like Maurizio)Crying
Pilot seat that is contained in stage 66 of collection. Now in pack 12 (received at home damaged and missing the stage 66) it was missing the seat and steering wheel.
I did (a month ago) request the reception of the missing stage to have only the bag 66. Model space told me that would send me all the pack 12.

Obviously, nothing has yet arrived, and to don’t stop(like poor Maurizio who is suffering the pains of hell), I've been looking for someone on the net who sold the single piece.
In the end I found an American user who had some spare parts. I was spending my additional $ 50 plus shipping and I got the seat and steering wheel.

Anyway I'm still waiting for the replacement of my parcel and receiving the lenses I have ever received .... and I started Countach as well as doing the Shelby and the Millenium Falcon.
I hope that in Germany where there is the Model Space expedition center, "kindly" move on. Mad Mad

Returning to the construction: the other wiring of the steering wheel (after bending them as in real car) were fixed with a little CA glue.

Today if I can, in addition to the test I would like to mount the latest controls a I would stat the seat with belt
IMG_6985.JPG
IMG_6986.JPG
IMG_6987.JPG
IMG_6988.JPG
IMG_6989.JPG
IMG_6991.JPG
IMG_6992.JPG
IMG_6993.JPG
IMG_6994.JPG
IMG_6995.JPG
IMG_6996.JPG
IMG_6997.JPG
IMG_6998.JPG
IMG_6999.JPG
IMG_7001.JPG

RM1
#83 Posted : 07 July 2017 08:39:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good stuff BigGrin
frah2o
#84 Posted : 07 July 2017 08:51:25

RM1 wrote:
Good stuff BigGrin

Thanks very much Malc. I have a question about steering wheel. Whare i can find the decals that simulate the white seam?

RM1
#85 Posted : 08 July 2017 13:27:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

frah2o wrote:
RM1 wrote:
Good stuff BigGrin

Thanks very much Malc. I have a question about steering wheel. Whare i can find the decals that simulate the white seam?

I'm fairly certain that they were part of the Museum Collection decal set D720 from Autograph webshop. Arrow on image below.
Malc. BigGrin

RM1 attached the following image(s):
Decal sheet.jpg
frah2o
#86 Posted : 10 July 2017 07:30:15

RM1 wrote:
frah2o wrote:
RM1 wrote:
Good stuff BigGrin

I'm fairly certain that they were part of the Museum Collection decal set D720 from Autograph webshop. Arrow on image below.
Malc. BigGrin

Many Thanks Malc, i think i'll must take this decal set.

frah2o
#87 Posted : 10 July 2017 07:31:18

The past Week end was long, productive and smoothly (If your wife has cousins with sons and second house at sea is a good combo for this hobby.... total free home, modeling, GP of Austria and Wimbledon was prefect to proceed with the Mclaren building)

I divide the progress in 3 posts to not made just a big one post.

I start from Friday night.

I Mounted the last ecu controls to the side on the ducts and was a little hard work because the cables tend to lift the control units.
To overcome this problem, I disconnected the cables, fixed the control panels, and in the end I relocated the cables.

Finally is the time to fix the rollbar (in my own opinion mount a piece with the name of Ayrton, gave me a big emotion.... I fix it slowly and I took care to not make mistakes).
While the glue made is job, I looked at the antennas and I noticed that the base of them has the golden jack. I have detailed them, but I just want to fit them with a finished model to don’t damage them.

Once I fitted the rollbar, was the turn of the fuel panel just above the fuel cap.
To fit it properly I had to use the full body.

I took the seat . Neoprene cover was in my ideas, but I did not see it in any photo . In the end I wanted to reproduce it like on the race car, I made side tapes and lumbar cushion.

Once everything was setted, I began the final assembly…in my opinion the harder job of the project. Blushing

To connect the engine to the monocoque and then fix the flat bottom, I was bent to work with the overturned car without ruining it. I removed the intake manifold and used two boxes with neoprene to not ruin the chassis .

In the end, as I watched in the book, I made 2 red collars with shrink tubes. I tried to reproduce the silicone collars that connect the turbo to the intercooler.

Finish first part.
IMG_7071.JPG
IMG_7072.JPG
IMG_7073.JPG
IMG_7074.JPG
IMG_7075.JPG
IMG_7076.JPG
IMG_7082.JPG
IMG_7083.JPG
IMG_7077.JPG
IMG_7078.JPG
IMG_7079.JPG
IMG_7080.JPG
IMG_7081.JPG

frah2o
#88 Posted : 10 July 2017 08:22:48

Come da references ho terminato anche l'ultimo dettaglio alle cinture.
Ho aggiunto con un strisciolina di neoprene le imbottiture delle cinture.
Poi è stata la volta della posa del primo adesivo fornito da Kyosho: la targhetta identificativa del numero di telaio.

Altre due targhette adesive sono state collocate sui turbo come nella realtà.
Sempre nel reparto turbo e motore ho posizionato le mie staffe home made che servono ad allontanare i tubi di raffreddamento delle wastegate:

un ultimo giro di nastro di alluminio sui raccordi di questo tubo e poi sono arrivate le 2 di notte (stavo ormai dormendo con le pinzette in mano).

As a reference I also finished the last detail on the belts.
I have added a strip of neoprene to made the padding shoulders of the belts.
Then it was the laying of the first sticker provided by Kyosho: the nameplate of the chassis number.

Two other stickers have been placed on the turbo.
Always in the turbo and engine department I have placed my home made brackets, which are used to fix the wastegate cooling pipes.

Finally a little bit of aluminum tape on these tubes….it was 2 am when I placed the brackets, I’m sleeping with tweezers in hand
IMG_7084.JPG
IMG_7085.JPG
IMG_7086.JPG
IMG_7087.JPG
IMG_7088.JPG

frah2o
#89 Posted : 10 July 2017 09:48:23

Yesterday afternoon (while I was watching the Austrian GP) I arrived to the point of the chassis decals.

In the decals kit decals there is also the Marlboro logo for Ayrton's helmet.
I used softener and phon as I learned, but as I had predicted, some wrinkles started ... I knew it was an harder work on this curved surface of helmet.
I forgot to photograph the end result of the helmet where at least the wrinkle on the Marlboro (that on the r) letter was able to stretch it and fix it.

I later placed the decals:
- The Marlboro on the monocoque
- brake caliper thermometers
- the FIA logo on the wastegate.

When I finished I tried to made my personal best neutral background ... I know that is not the best photographic set, but I tried to make it as neutral as possible.

A little detailing work in the next days and the monocoque will be finish, I’m so happy!
IMG_7089.JPG
IMG_7107.JPG
IMG_7108.JPG
IMG_7092.JPG
IMG_7093.JPG
IMG_7094.JPG
IMG_7095.JPG
IMG_7096.JPG
IMG_7097.JPG
IMG_7098.JPG
IMG_7099.JPG
IMG_7100.JPG
IMG_7101.JPG
IMG_7102.JPG
IMG_7103.JPG
IMG_7104.JPG
IMG_7105.JPG
IMG_7106.JPG

frah2o
#90 Posted : 11 July 2017 06:24:27

Yesterday in the afternoon I sanded the tyres with 600 grit paper. Maybe today (if i'll have time to spent) I'll try to detail the tyres with autograph tyres decal kit.

IMG_7114.JPG
IMG_7115.JPG
IMG_7116.JPG
IMG_7117.JPG
IMG_5666.JPG

frah2o
#91 Posted : 12 July 2017 07:22:38

Yesterday in the afternoon I completed the extra tires decals.

The instructions displays to fit decals in the same position for all four tires.

I didn’t fit the decals in the same position on all tires. I think is more real chancing the position of them, specially the decals that simulate the handwriting pencil for balancing.
No my tires looks so good and took more realism.

Just only the final rim’ decals and the valves and the wheel will be ready.

IMG_7132.JPG
IMG_7133.JPG
IMG_7134.JPG
IMG_7135.JPG
IMG_7136.JPG
IMG_7137.JPG
IMG_7138.JPG

ModelMania
#92 Posted : 12 July 2017 09:23:54

Groups:

Excellent work on the wheels and tyres Francesco, those extra decals really lift them to the next level and the tyre surfaces look to be perfectly sanded as well. They should look fantastic when the valves are added too.

Very well done on a fabulous build!! Drool Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
frah2o
#93 Posted : 12 July 2017 11:00:54

ModelMania wrote:
Excellent work on the wheels and tyres Francesco, those extra decals really lift them to the next level and the tyre surfaces look to be perfectly sanded as well. They should look fantastic when the valves are added too.

Kev Smile

Thanks to much Kev. Now I reach the final stage with the body and I think one of the most difficulte of whole building. I hope to make the best Blushing

ModelMania
#94 Posted : 12 July 2017 11:18:44

Groups:

frah2o wrote:
ModelMania wrote:

Kev Smile

Thanks to much Kev. Now I reach the final stage with the body and I think one of the most difficulte of whole building. I hope to make the best Blushing

I am sure you will make a fantastic job of building the body Francesco and I look forward to seeing your finished model, it should be stunning!! ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Spal
#95 Posted : 12 July 2017 12:04:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

More superb detailing from you Francesco Cool nice work.

Al
frah2o
#96 Posted : 13 July 2017 08:27:04

Spal wrote:
More superb detailing from you Francesco Cool nice work.

Al

Thanks to much Al, very pleased that you and all the other users are watching and follow my build. Blushing Love

I started to prepare the car body by mounting the top of the nose with the windshield to the rest of the car body.
I have positioned the gear oil air intake (I do not think it was already a kind of monkey seat) and the mirrors. Finally I mounted the internal conveyors for the radiators.

While I’m watching on some forums I found a photo of template to place decal letters to compose the Marlboro logo.

I have the logos by msm, but my fear is to made a wrong decals positioning.
So I printed the photo that I found and resized it to + 10% and - 20% the photo (doing +1 and -1 & step at a time).
I wanted to do this to be sure to made correct job with decals.

I think that finishing the model and putting a cropped decal is somewhat bad and frustrating.
IMG_7214.JPG
IMG_7215.JPG
IMG_7216.JPG
IMG_7217.JPG
IMG_7218.JPG
IMG_7219.JPG
IMG_7220.JPG
IMG_7221.JPG
IMG_7222.JPG
IMG_7223.JPG
IMG_7224.JPG
IMG_7225.jpg
IMG_7234.JPG

RM1
#97 Posted : 14 July 2017 15:17:52

Great work as always.BigGrin
frah2o
#98 Posted : 15 July 2017 08:20:59

I started with the first decals.

The nose did not give any particular problems unless it had to pay particular attention to the continuation of the "L" and "B" stents on the main body.
They must be perfectly aligned with the Marlboro on the nose.
The part a bit harder came with the rear wing.

I mounted the rear wing as instructions, but I did not considerate, the positioning of the Marlboro on the wing: in particular the front writing divided into two pieces.

The problem is the aluminum bracket that keeps the 2 wing profiles firmly. The Marlboro logo (always L and B) fall partially above the support bracket.

The first time I played easy, and tried to get around the problem.

I took the decal from my msm kit that was already divided into 4 and placed it as close as possible to the support but without going overwhelmed: the result was orrible. The distance between L and B was too high and the sponsor was altered.... this was at 19 o'clock.

After dinner I was worried about the wing: I was reading 2-3 topics to remove the decals.

I gave a softener. With softener effect and with the fresh posing of the decals, they came without much difficulty and without ruining anything or leaving a trace.

The second time I used the first kit of the Autograph.

Here the decal was split in 2 and not in 4 as the msm .... better.

I first placed the top. Then with a piece of millimeter paper I calculated the L and B surface that would be covered by the bracket.

I modified and adapted the bottom of the Marlboro script: I divided and trimmed the contours of the lower part of L and B

Then with a phon, a cotton pad, a softener I put everything in it.

I'm quite enjoy with the result that seems to me much better now.

In the week I hope to end the laying of all sponsors.
IMG_7271.JPG
IMG_7272.JPG
IMG_7273.JPG
IMG_7273.JPG
IMG_7274.JPG
IMG_7275.JPG
IMG_7276.JPG
IMG_7277.JPG
IMG_7278.JPG
IMG_7279.JPG
IMG_7280.JPG
IMG_7281.JPG

frah2o
#99 Posted : 17 July 2017 07:46:05

I'm reach the final stage,just missing some final details, but the big job is over.

I started on Friday and ended last night in various time scraps (especially at night).

I started with the sponsorships on the body. I was helped by the selfmade template: I was little scared to find the correct alignment and specularity in Marlboro and Honda lateral logos...but i think to make a quite good job.

After finishing the laying I leave it and waited 24h for the complete drying of the decals.

Once the sponsors have finished, I have completed the decals on the rims.

While I was waiting for the drying of all the decals, I (finally) put the rear wing back in place with the tail light, and everything went up with extreme precision and without any particular trouble.
IMG_7428.JPG
IMG_7429.JPG
IMG_7430.JPG
IMG_7431.1.JPG
IMG_7431.2.JPG
IMG_7431.3.JPG
IMG_7431.4.JPG
IMG_7431.JPG
IMG_7432.JPG
IMG_7433.JPG
IMG_7434.JPG
IMG_7435.JPG
IMG_7436.JPG
IMG_7437.JPG

frah2o
#100 Posted : 17 July 2017 07:50:43

Last night I temporarily assembled everything.

Before terminating it I will have to fix antennas, try to flock the steering wheel , create the spiral cable of the steering wheel and finally some black details on the wheel hubs and a final polishing.

Finally, with the remaining decals, I have in mind to create a bit of background to the position in my display case. Leave it white is not the best for this awesome model.

IMG_7442.JPG
IMG_7443.JPG
IMG_7444.JPG
IMG_7445.JPG
IMG_7446.JPG
IMG_7447.JPG
IMG_7448.JPG
IMG_7449.JPG
IMG_7450.JPG
IMG_7451.JPG
IMG_7452.JPG