Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Getting the anchor right Options
Mike Turpin
#1 Posted : 29 March 2010 19:00:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month
Groups: Registered

A few observations on the anchor. Since I am still waiting for my issue 2 I have had the time to do a little research!

I notice in the official build diary that we are expected to use a fishermens bend to bend the hawser onto the anchor ring.

According to 'Seamanship in the age of Sail' by John Harland, the fishermens bend might be used on a smaller kedge anchor however, assuming that the anchor in issue 2 is one of the bower anchors which are dominant features on the Victory model, it would be more correct to use an anchor clinch and cable bends.

Also looking at the anchor ring, it would appear that the ring is sufficiently large to consider 'puddening' the ring. One of the greatest problems with hemp cables was the chaffing which occured between the cable and the ring. Puddening consisted of wrapping tarred canvas round the ring and then binding it in place with lengths of 'stuff' wrapped around the ring. Looking at the illustration I thought I might wrap some thick thread around the ring before attaching the hawser.

If this kit is going to cost so much I am determined to make it as authentic as possible!

In the meantime I am scanning my inbox waiting for the news that my issue 2 might be on the way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike T

Zeptrader
#2 Posted : 29 March 2010 20:57:28

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

Keep us informed Mike how you would do this, pictures :)
Mike Turpin
#3 Posted : 29 March 2010 22:38:39

The above illustration is from Harland's book and shows the knot which he describes as a kind of running noose used specifically on the heaviest anchors. Victory's bower anchors were of the order of 100cwt each. (20cwt approx to a tonne)

As well as the anchor clinch, it shows the pudddening around the anchor ring. Until I get issue 2 and can see an anchor for myself, I'm thinking that I have some cobblers thread which is quite thick and will wind around the ring.

If there is room I might add the seizing using some thin thread. Will have to see.

You started this one Zeptrader by talking about kit bashing!!
Zeptrader
#4 Posted : 29 March 2010 22:57:43

I'm with you all the way Mike, the more details we can add the better this ship will be, Ive been looking at the few books I have regarding the anchor, pretty much the same as you mentioned.

Also in McKays book on page 91 it shows the anchor with iron bands, londgridge also talk of this, I used some litho plate on my Bounty anchor and it looked much better.
There is a slight rounding of the ends of the stock as well.
And I think best painted black?
PAULS101
#5 Posted : 30 March 2010 00:07:12

i agree the more like the real thing the better . specialy as were spnding alot of money on this build in total . keep us up to date and more pics cheers
snowtiger
#6 Posted : 30 March 2010 00:31:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

that picture and info is great thanks mike ....i'm new when it comes to building a wooden ship..i built one over 12 years ago...and managed to scrape by....just.

ArtfulBodger
#7 Posted : 30 March 2010 10:22:36

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I think the puddening is a great idea and the seizings but I'm not convinced you'll get the seizings onto that small ring. I tried the puddening, quiet fiddly (if there is such a word) but I gave up on seizings.
I also bound the anchor stock with brass in lieu of the thin twine which was neither successful or sufficient.The brass bands I then secured by soldering and filing. Yet to be painted black.
Early availability of paint would be a bonus.
ArtfulBodger

Previous Build:
HMS. Bounty
jonny5j
#8 Posted : 30 March 2010 12:14:56

I to am using brass to fix the anchor and then using a chemical called brass blackener from cornwall models item number
C83999 Brass Blackener
john
HMS VICTORY
HMS SURPRISE
ASTON DB5
MCLAREN MP4-23
John Wreford
#9 Posted : 30 March 2010 12:48:09

Weather permitting I'm planning on visiting the dockyard on Friday. I'll take some pics of what the anchors look like now if that would help?

John
hudsonrobert49
#10 Posted : 31 March 2010 08:27:56

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

@jonny5j Hi I sent for some of that blacken-er from Cornwall models about 3 weeks ago but it went missing in the post!, but to Cornwall models Credit they could not apologise enough and are sending me a replacement free of charge, can't wait to see what it does, got it for my cannons for my HMS Surprise, or any other brass I get.

Regards

Rob

Bridlington.

Built Flying Scotsman (Train). Collecting HMS VICTORY
Jack Sparrow
#11 Posted : 31 March 2010 21:00:37

Hi. Had a read through of the posts about anchors, and agree if its going to cost this much then lets have it right! So i decided to raid the tackle box!! had a play for a while, and this is what i came up with, i used 4lb braided fishing line for the puddening and cotton and a needle for the seizing ( very fiddly ), and when it was painted it looks quite authentic!!
John Wreford
#12 Posted : 31 March 2010 22:58:24

Hi Jack

Any pics you can share?

John
Jack Sparrow
#13 Posted : 01 April 2010 09:04:28

Will post some pics as soon as poss!!
Jamie
#14 Posted : 01 April 2010 15:24:48

Ok guys sorry to ask this Blushing but can someone explain to me, and hopefully othersBigGrin, exactly what 'puddening' and 'seizing' is??Confused

I think I've worked out what puddening is but no idea what seizing is.

Thanks in advance, as I'm sure you nice guys will obligeThumpUp

I wish I were a glow worm,
A glow worm's never glum,
'Cause how can you be grumpy?
When the sun shines out ya bum!!
dtgray
#15 Posted : 01 April 2010 15:43:31

Jamie,

If you look at the picture that Mike posted further up this thread then:

Puddening: is the rope that is wrapped around the anchor ring, like a protective sheath round the bare ring. Or those really tacky steering wheel covers on cars Laugh

Seizing: is cordage used to bind the rope together ie to "seize" them, on the diagram these look like rings round different parts of the ropes and are marked aith an "a".
Hopes this helpsBigGrin

David
Regards,

David

Jamie
#16 Posted : 01 April 2010 16:01:01

dtgray wrote:
Jamie,

If you look at the picture that Mike posted further up this thread then:

Puddening: is the rope that is wrapped around the anchor ring, like a protective sheath round the bare ring. Or those really tacky steering wheel covers on cars Laugh

Seizing: is cordage used to bind the rope together ie to "seize" them, on the diagram these look like rings round different parts of the ropes and are marked aith an "a".
Hopes this helpsBigGrin

David

Excellent cheers David ThumpUp

I was on the right track with the puddening but it's always good just to confirm it, and I did wonder about the "a's" in the diagram being seizings. But wonder no more Cool

Thanks again

Mike Turpin
#17 Posted : 01 April 2010 16:19:49

as a footnote to that: puddening also included a layer of tarred canvas underneath the 'stuff' which was wrapped around the ring. ('Stuff' is unpicked rope or cable which sailors reused as we would use lengths of string.) I didn't reckon there would be room for the canvas and tar gets messy!!

Mike T
Jamie
#18 Posted : 01 April 2010 16:51:15

And I don't think the missus would be impressed Angry with the smell and mess of tar all over the place LOL Mike!!

snowtiger
#19 Posted : 02 April 2010 13:43:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Many thanks to Mike T and Zeptraider ....for getting me thinking on the subject of the anchor and after watching the dvd for the umptheen time here is a few ideas that i hope might help with the build of the anchor..

1. use a very thin plasticard for the steel banding instead of the cotton/twine stated in the dvd...i did think of using thick paper card but that will fray when sanded plasticard will not.

2.The puddening as Mike T said

3. The seizing...using black acrilic paint and mixing talcum powder together will create a thick black paste...using a very small brush apply at least two coats, that will give the "effect" of seizing without the expense and not to mention smell of tarred rope.

4.sand down the edges after assembly using a small flat file...paint the wood using humbrol matt 85 ..or similar, matt black for the banding with a very dark on the edges ..to give the worn/highlight effect.

5. Don't let your missus drag you out of the news agents when you see issue 2 on the shelf when yours has not arrived through the post yet..LOL

hope some of this helps you with your build.........John :)
snowtiger
#20 Posted : 02 April 2010 13:46:43

Opps point 4. should say very dark....Grey....sorry for the mistake.