Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123
Getting the anchor right Options
Macmedal
#41 Posted : 24 April 2010 08:57:16

Groups: Registered

Having almost finished my anchor I have found that the ring is too small especially after puddening, looking at various references the ring should be larger than the one provided. Looks like I may have to redo the ring and make a larger one anyone else done this ?
dtgray
#42 Posted : 24 April 2010 15:23:06

Macmedal wrote:
Having almost finished my anchor I have found that the ring is too small especially after puddening, looking at various references the ring should be larger than the one provided. Looks like I may have to redo the ring and make a larger one anyone else done this ?

No, it was a bit fiddly doing the puddening but I seemed to have received the same size ring as everyone else is showing in their pictures. What size of ring did you get?
Regards,

David

Jamie
#43 Posted : 27 April 2010 20:43:15

Macmedal wrote:

Actually Macmedal I've just had a closer look at actual pictures and I am leaning towards you being right. I too am beginning to think the supplied ring is to small. It seems to be ok if your not doing the puddening and seizing and using the rope supplied but if not it is to small.

So I'll be changing mine too. After all there's only 4 anchors so it's not as if you've got to re-do hundreds.

I wish I were a glow worm,
A glow worm's never glum,
'Cause how can you be grumpy?
When the sun shines out ya bum!!
yorkieboy1
#44 Posted : 28 April 2010 12:13:57

hi all have just managed to get onto the forum joined end of March but had a problem logging in but now up and running I have finished my anchor apart from the puddening on the ring does anyone know where we can get a bigger ring I have looked at cornwall boats who I deal with but cannot find any as all the anchorsBigGrin come with rings
Mike Turpin
#45 Posted : 28 April 2010 12:29:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

yorkieboy1 wrote:
hi all have just managed to get onto the forum joined end of March but had a problem logging in but now up and running I have finished my anchor apart from the puddening on the ring does anyone know where we can get a bigger ring I have looked at cornwall boats who I deal with but cannot find any as all the anchorsBigGrin come with rings

I have just looked at Cornwall boats site and typed brass rings into their search feature -- lots to choose from you just need to decide on a size. May have to buy a pack of fifty for a couple of pounds or so.

Mike T
mavrickandgoose
#46 Posted : 28 April 2010 16:56:18

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

i remaid the anchor ring this afternoon,to make it a bit bigger. i used the core of co-ax cable. which i stripped out and then bent into a circle around my knife handle. i will be doing the rest this weekend. probably putting the puddening on with fishing line and the seasing on with white thread.
steve
Jamie
#47 Posted : 28 April 2010 18:29:46

Excellent Steve I look forward to seeing the finished product. What diameter is your knife?

mavrickandgoose
#48 Posted : 28 April 2010 18:49:30

Not sure exactly mate, but if you look at the metal anchor, if you rested the loop on the sticky out metal bit (that gets covered in wood) it sits flush with the top of the anchor, hope that makes sense its not a very techenical description! if i had a ruler i would just measure it, but i dont to hand!!
Jamie
#49 Posted : 28 April 2010 20:19:35

Err.......yeah........sort of Huh Blink

mavrickandgoose
#50 Posted : 28 April 2010 20:45:42

just managed to find a ruler and it is 10mm, not sure how to scale it is, but it looks ok to me. (hope that helps a bit more!) plus i do not want the blame if you use the tv aerial cable!
Jamie
#51 Posted : 28 April 2010 20:56:48

Yep cheers ThumpUp

I did tell the missus you said to use the tv aerial lead but she was having none of it Blushing I can't put what she actually said but I bet you can probably guess Crying

mavrickandgoose
#52 Posted : 28 April 2010 20:59:09

lol yep i bet i can. i was looking through an old draw at work and found a load, it amazing what you can find to use for different things!!