Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages <12345>
OldSid's D51 Build Diary Options
magpie1832
#41 Posted : 30 July 2016 00:37:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Lovely job Oldsid, Very nice work.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

oldsid
#42 Posted : 30 July 2016 04:25:44

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

arpurchase wrote:
Hi Sid

Looking good and by the way did you remember to offset the bolt on the boiler ring next to the firebox by about half an inch otherwise it will destroy the silicon tube motor joint the first time you start her up.

Andy

Don't recall any instructions about offsetting a bolt on the boiler ring. I vaguely remember a post in the conversation forum about a bolt but don't remember what it said. Can you enlighten me?
arpurchase
#43 Posted : 30 July 2016 07:39:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Sid

If you go too pack 25 instructions page 216 [ it has the heading 'The figures and coal'] stage 99 the 1st pic shows the boiler with a red reference line, just read the instructions below this 1st picture.

Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

darbyvet
#44 Posted : 30 July 2016 14:29:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

oldsid wrote:
arpurchase wrote:
Hi Sid

Looking good and by the way did you remember to offset the bolt on the boiler ring next to the firebox by about half an inch otherwise it will destroy the silicon tube motor joint the first time you start her up.

Andy

Don't recall any instructions about offsetting a bolt on the boiler ring. I vaguely remember a post in the conversation forum about a bolt but don't remember what it said. Can you enlighten me?

Yes it is not discussed until almost the end of the build.I missed it in the instructions and had problems with my motor.The motor attaches to the drive gear with a piece of silastic tubing. The nut and bolt for the rearmost boiler ring is in the way so when you attach the body to the chassis and run the motor the tubing gets torn up by the boiler ring nut and bolt.As Andy said you have to shift the nut and bolt over as bit so it is out of the way of the tubing.

You train looks great so far!!!

oldsid
#45 Posted : 30 July 2016 23:38:57

arpurchase wrote:
Hi Sid

If you go too pack 25 instructions page 216 [ it has the heading 'The figures and coal'] stage 99 the 1st pic shows the boiler with a red reference line, just read the instructions below this 1st picture.

Andy

Kind of late in the game. Looks like it should be included with the installation of the bands, especially if the bands are painted and stuck to the boiler, as mine were.
oldsid
#46 Posted : 30 July 2016 23:42:33

Assembled the Back Head and installed it to the Boiler Assembly. Thanks Andy, for reminding me about the rear band nut and bolt offset. I certainly would have missed it. Just found out the offset instruction is in Pack 25. I guess better late than never.

delboy271155
#47 Posted : 30 July 2016 23:52:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looking good Sid.

Regards
delboy271155
(derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Nemesis
#48 Posted : 31 July 2016 10:16:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very tidy build, well done.
arpurchase
#49 Posted : 31 July 2016 10:54:49

Hi Sid

A few of us were nearly caught out by the strap but at least your sorted on it now. Looking good and nice work on the back head.

Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

birdaj2
#50 Posted : 31 July 2016 13:21:12

Sid

Looking very good indeed.

Hope the rest of the build goes well.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
oldsid
#51 Posted : 31 July 2016 23:41:50

Installed Running Boards both sides. Installed the Compressor and the Left Air Reservoir and Cooling tube. Attached the Front Deck.

darbyvet
#52 Posted : 01 August 2016 01:17:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Coming along nicely now Oldsid

Carl

Spal
#53 Posted : 01 August 2016 11:23:22

Great work Sid, I bet its getting a bit heavier now.

Al
arpurchase
#54 Posted : 01 August 2016 18:17:13

Looks good from here

oldsid
#55 Posted : 01 August 2016 22:02:07

Installed the Water Pump and the Right Air Reservoir and Cooling Tube

oldsid
#56 Posted : 06 August 2016 18:28:29

After a lot of aggravation and a few #$%words and screaming for my wife to help with another pair of hands, I finally got both front deflector plates installed and the cab and cab floor attached to the Boiler. Still have a couple pieces to install yet namely the firebox board and another part I haven’t figured out yet where it goes. It’s called a water distribution valve. It’s probably in the instructions somewhere.

arpurchase
#57 Posted : 06 August 2016 19:12:30

Great job so far and looking great the part your wondering about I think will be fitted right at the end of the build or at least in that final assembly

Spal
#58 Posted : 06 August 2016 23:41:11

Good work Sid, looks great.

Al
oldsid
#59 Posted : 07 August 2016 01:06:49

arpurchase wrote:
Great job so far and looking great the part your wondering about I think will be fitted right at the end of the build or at least in that final assembly

Thanks, I'll add it to the box I have along with all the spare screws and such that I have accumulated so far. The only other part that I haven't installed yet is the Diode Board for the firebox. Than it looks like I'll be ready to start working on the under carriage again.
oldsid
#60 Posted : 07 August 2016 01:11:05

Spal wrote:
Good work Sid, looks great.

Al

Thanks for looking in. Has been fun so far even at times aggravating. Hardest part lately was installing the deflector plates on both side of the front of the boiler. Instant adhesive didn't cut it... overtime I tried to turn it over to do something else the slightest squeeze in the wrong place broke one or the other of the glue joints. I finally used 5 minute epoxy for all the joints and finally got them both installed for keeps.