Groups: Registered

cheers, I have made a boob on the bowsprit so pics will be coming shortly,
cheers for now
rob
sandnesspeats
#22 Posted : 01 August 2016 22:16:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

hi folks, could any body tell which is which in these rope sizes in issue 88/89 the labels fell off and i sort of gauged these. I want to finish off the bowsprit and just wanted to make sure the rope is right.
thanks for any input
rob
sandnesspeats attached the following image(s):
rope.jpg
Gandale
#23 Posted : 01 August 2016 22:40:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Rob, very difficult to tell by the photos but I would say the black thread on the spool looks thinner than 0.5, the top black thread on the cardboard looks thicker than 0.15. Natural looks right at 0.25.... Having a look at the Official Video Build at the two stages you mentioned may also help you identify the correct threads...

Hope this helps

Regards

Alan
sandnesspeats
#24 Posted : 01 August 2016 22:52:44

cheers Alan, Could you give me a link to the video or is it on the dvd which came with the pack.
cheers for now
rob
Gandale
#25 Posted : 01 August 2016 22:57:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

sandnesspeats wrote:
cheers Alan, Could you give me a link to the video or is it on the dvd which came with the pack.
cheers for now
rob

Here you go Rob, all of the video's for the complete build can be found here....

https://www.youtube.com/...pjUDnPzoDagw3u2T7tQIBv4

Regards

Alan
jase
#26 Posted : 01 August 2016 22:59:02

The little sticky labels do tend to fall off best to write the sizes on with a felt pen as you get them.

You can probably work them out using a ruler especially if it has half MM. Increments

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#27 Posted : 01 August 2016 23:02:00

jase wrote:
The little sticky labels do tend to fall off best to write the sizes on with a felt pen as you get them.

You can probably work them out using a ruler especially if it has half MM. Increments

Jase

Good tip Jase, have done the same myself using a ruler and you can work it out.....

Regards

Alan
sandnesspeats
#28 Posted : 01 August 2016 23:08:21

great stuff thank you very much will sort that tomorrow. I did not know about the videos, great tips guys, you are heroes.
cheers for now
rob
sandnesspeats
#29 Posted : 21 August 2016 10:17:40

Hi folks!.
Made a mess of things on the bowsprit, I spiralled the cut as you can see(numpty)
to save me ordering a back issue I just used the small one used for testing in previous issues,nailed and glued it together, it was a strange one to get the cut line straight.

Anyway has anybody used beeswax for the shrouding instead of pva to cover it or does it not work as it should, just curious.
latest pic of painting aft,needs another coat but getting there,not sure about the black centre line though.
cheers for now
rob
File Attachment(s):
bowsprit4.jpg (259kb) downloaded 13 time(s).
painting.jpg (270kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
bowsprit.jpg
bowsprit2.jpg
bowsprit3.jpg
birdaj2
#30 Posted : 21 August 2016 11:39:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellent fix you have cone up with there.

Its all looking very nice indeed.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
z8000783
#31 Posted : 21 August 2016 11:51:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Well done Rob. I shall remember that in case I need it. Thanks.
sandnesspeats
#32 Posted : 21 August 2016 16:43:14

thanks,
any tips on painting the beak head i tried but my hand is not steady for something so fine.
french blue I mean. it looks terrible. no pictures as it is so bad LOL.

cheers
arpurchase
#33 Posted : 21 August 2016 17:10:44

You could use a stick to steady your hand like signwriters used to do, just an idea
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

stevie_o
#34 Posted : 21 August 2016 17:15:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Rob, for the thin blue lines on the beakhead you can use pin striping tape available in model shops and hobbycraft - it comes in all thicknesses - if the colour isnt right you can pre paint first then clear varnish (matt or gloss) over it after you apply it to seal the edges.

http://www.cornwallmodel.../acatalog/trimline.html

Steve
sandnesspeats
#35 Posted : 21 August 2016 18:01:28

Hi Steve,
Thank you very much I was looking for this stuff but did not know the proper name.
thanks for the tip as well
cheers for now

sandnesspeats
#36 Posted : 21 August 2016 18:10:12

thanks Arpurchase, tried that mate but no joy still a bit shaky. LOL
Gandale
#37 Posted : 21 August 2016 23:46:59

Good work on the bowsprit, once painted the join shouldn't be noticeable. As for beeswax, I use this on all my rigging lines. Run the line through a block of wax a couple of times and then run the line between your thumb and forefinger. The heat of your fingers softens the was so in penetrates the rigging line. You will then find the rigging line to be less hairy and a lot stiffer, easier to work with... I still apply diluted PVA to seal any of the knots though.

Regards

Alan
sandnesspeats
#38 Posted : 22 August 2016 10:18:29

hi Alan,
Thanks for that, looking in my toolbox for things I noticed the beeswax and thought,maybe, it is a lot better with it as you say. just started issue 91/92 and the ends fray and awkward to thread through,no more though. I have been using super glue with the knots just a spot mind,seems to be ok.
Thanks again
rob
sandnesspeats
#39 Posted : 10 September 2016 21:58:23

Hi again,
confused again, going to put the cranes for the hammock nets but the cranes seemed too big on the fore deck for my build. photo enclosed. how on earth do i fit the cranes when the ledge is only about 4 mm on my ship and the cranes are 7mm,do I extend the platform making it wider?????.
please help.
cheers
rob
hammock nets.jpg
Gandale
#40 Posted : 10 September 2016 22:17:38

Hi Rob, looking very nice indeed. The cranes actually do sit beyond the edge of the ledge so what you have is correct.

Regards

Alan