Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

12 Pages 123>»
Greyhawks Soleil Royal (96/140) Options
greyhawk
#1 Posted : 07 August 2016 23:38:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Couldn't pass this one up, now could I.

After a bit of a delay due to an avalanche of technical difficulties, I finally started my Soleil Royal build on August 1st (for the second time, see: technical difficulties) and finished up pack 1 today.

For this one, I've decided on writing a rather lengthy and wordy build report adressed to the absolute novice. In German for a change however. Time constraints don't allow me to do this for both languages unfortunately, so in the English version a short look at the build every 5 issues or so will have to do. Sorry.

There's a lot of warp issues with the wood that are decidedly difficult to get rid of. I had to trash the first attempt at this build in it's entirety because warp I thought I got rid of reestablished itself even worse, to the point where frames were poining into all directions at once and a continuation of the build was doomed.

The replacement delivery is better, yet not perfect. You'll notice some warp re-establishing itself on frame 1 in the photo above, so I'm getting out the clamps and some spare straight wood. I don't know if this is an issue specific to the German edition (several co-builders I know report the same issues to some degree) or pack 1 in toto. It'll be interesting to see how it looks when the next pack arrives.
jase
#2 Posted : 08 August 2016 06:40:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Michael, good to see your build on the go. I can certainly confirm my wood has had some serious warp issues particularly the first keel section that was warped in multiple directions. I have been able to correct the warp enough to build so far.

Looking forward to seeing how you progress.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
ian smith
#3 Posted : 08 August 2016 11:25:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Michael.
Look forward to seeing your progress.
Ian
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
davetwin
#4 Posted : 08 August 2016 16:04:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking like a good start Greyhawk. You seem to be getting a liking for these wooden ship builds. Look forward to following this one too.
Tomick
#5 Posted : 08 August 2016 16:20:54

Groups:

greyhawk wrote:
There's a lot of warp issues with the wood that are decidedly difficult to get rid of. I had to trash the first attempt at this build in it's entirety because warp I thought I got rid of reestablished itself even worse, to the point where frames were poining into all directions at once and a continuation of the build was doomed.

The replacement delivery is better, yet not perfect. You'll notice some warp re-establishing itself on frame 1 in the photo above, so I'm getting out the clamps and some spare straight wood. I don't know if this is an issue specific to the German edition (several co-builders I know report the same issues to some degree) or pack 1 in toto.

Parts are not manufactured warped and even the most expensive plywood can end up with a slight warp. Twist is a common type of warp with plywood, the reason behind this is that the moisture content changed after manufacture, during transport or storage, and that ply parts often travel 1000's of miles.
The downside is that the manufacture process of ply induces a memory into the ply, which is why it is sometimes difficult to rectify badly warped parts by the normal methods and should request replacement of such. Warp can also be induced as a result of where a build is stored or worked on, where there is great fluctuation of temperature and air moisture such as in a Shed or Loft.

greyhawk
#6 Posted : 08 August 2016 16:42:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Yup, the replacement parts were much better. I think I'll get out the remaining warp on frame 1 with a combination of humidity, heat and pressure.
magpie1832
#7 Posted : 08 August 2016 16:51:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I haven't really had a problem. One frame had a slight twist that was it.
Ive had twists in ply from a caldercraft& amati ships. Its all down to storage.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

jase
#8 Posted : 08 August 2016 18:13:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

magpie1832 wrote:

Chris

Totally agree it comes with the territory for Woden kits
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
RobT
#9 Posted : 08 August 2016 19:04:36

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

jase wrote:
magpie1832 wrote:

Chris

Yeah, got my first pack today. The middle keel is straight as a die, but the bulkhead keel in stage 1 needs work. Will have to soak it and clamp it between something heavy.

Your builds started well though Michael. Nice one.
birdaj2
#10 Posted : 08 August 2016 19:06:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Michael

Very nice start to your build.

Hope it all goes really well for you.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
jase
#11 Posted : 08 August 2016 21:50:24

RobT wrote:
jase wrote:
magpie1832 wrote:

Chris

Yeah, got my first pack today. The middle keel is straight as a die, but the bulkhead keel in stage 1 needs work. Will have to soak it and clamp it between something heavy.

Hi Rob will you be sharing your build too?

Jase
-Mark Twain
RobT
#12 Posted : 08 August 2016 22:34:41

jase wrote:
RobT wrote:
jase wrote:
magpie1832 wrote:

Chris

Hi Rob will you be sharing your build too?

Jase

Sure will mate. Going to clamp the warped keel over the weekend and hopefully start Monday or Tuesday,
greyhawk
#13 Posted : 18 August 2016 17:47:42

Martyn Ingram
#14 Posted : 18 August 2016 18:05:46

Looking forward to seeing your next update Greyhawk

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
greyhawk
#15 Posted : 19 August 2016 08:29:59

magpie1832
#16 Posted : 19 August 2016 08:40:03

Great work Grey, looking forward to your updates.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

davetwin
#17 Posted : 19 August 2016 09:45:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Glad to hear the new part is all ok and that you're able to continue now
RobT
#18 Posted : 19 August 2016 17:04:30

Michael, how long did your replacement parts take to arrive fella?
greyhawk
#19 Posted : 19 August 2016 21:19:50

RobT wrote:
Michael, how long did your replacement parts take to arrive fella?

Let me check my notes.

I reclaimed on 25 July. German support reacted their usual 48 hours later, they would check into this. On the 29th they advised a replacement was on its way, which arrived the next day. So five days total, which is pretty good I think.
RobT
#20 Posted : 19 August 2016 21:21:32

Thanks. I'm hoping mine will turn up sometime next week.