Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
Rob's Soleil Royal build diary Options
RobT
#1 Posted : 11 August 2016 20:44:51

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

This is my thread for my build of the Soleil Royal. I have no pics yet, but I'm starting it now as I have just taken the first small step of a long journey by placing my keel in soak for 24 hours prior to clamping over the weekend to flatten it.

Hopefully I can glue my first piece in anger on Monday.
Martyn Ingram
#2 Posted : 11 August 2016 21:00:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking forward to seeing your build Rob have fun

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
RobT
#3 Posted : 11 August 2016 21:13:17

Thanks Martyn.
jase
#4 Posted : 11 August 2016 21:48:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellent another build looking forward to seeing your progress

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
eebygum
#5 Posted : 11 August 2016 21:49:11

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome aboard looking forward to the build

Terry
FINISHED BUILDS---- HMS Victory--Bismarck--Battleship Yamato-D51 Steam Train--Pocher Ferrari Testarossa--Soleil Royal--Schnellboot S-100--StageCoach 1848--HMS HOOD-- Delorean (Back to the Future)
Gandale
#6 Posted : 11 August 2016 22:04:13

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

It'll be great to follow your progress Rob, good luck with the build....

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#7 Posted : 11 August 2016 22:45:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good luck on your build Rob. Hope the keel straightens out for you. Try and keep it at room temp also a few hours in warm water is all it should need. Just be aware they sometimes spring back into the twist if left once dry.
I untwisted a rib on a build. It was nice and flat and dry. Left it on the bench and a few hours later along came the twist. I tend to fit straight away once unclamped.

I'm rambling on now sorry ;)

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

ian smith
#8 Posted : 12 August 2016 11:43:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Rob.
Look forward to seeing your build.
Ian
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
RobT
#9 Posted : 12 August 2016 22:37:31

My first, but extremely minor update. The front keel clamped after undergoing a 24 hour soaking in a mixture of water and ammonia. The ammonia hardens the wood fibres as it dries and locks the wood into place.

RobT
#10 Posted : 15 August 2016 16:27:59

Bad news. Things are on hold. I unclamped the keel today and slotted the bulkhead in to check it. I was left with this monstrosity.

There ain't no saving that, so I have a replacement on the way in about a week. Just hope that ones ok. In better news though, I have completed my first deck piece. 3 rows of roughly 1cm staggering. The caulking is a Sharpie chisel tip on one side and one end.

Martyn Ingram
#11 Posted : 15 August 2016 18:27:26

Looking good Rob very nicely done on the corking

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
davetwin
#12 Posted : 16 August 2016 00:34:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The deck is looking very nice Rob, shame about the warpage, I'm sure the next part will be ok
jase
#13 Posted : 16 August 2016 12:41:15

nicely done

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#14 Posted : 16 August 2016 22:13:35

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice work on the decking Rob, looking good...

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#15 Posted : 16 August 2016 22:31:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice job of the planking. looking great
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

RobT
#16 Posted : 02 September 2016 14:59:36

What's your opinion guys.

This is my replacement keel with the bulkhead slotted in. You can see it's a lot straighter than the piece above, but it still looks like there is a very slight bend in it. Do you think it is ok or will it cause me a lot of,problems later on? Would you use it? I'm beginning to think that I'm hoping for a bit too much to get a perfectly straight piece.

greyhawk
#17 Posted : 02 September 2016 16:25:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Have you watered and pressed it yet for a few days? I've had warp issues with nearly all parts, but most of them could be solved by watering and pressing for some days. Those that reestablished warp again afterwards complied when they were connected to the rest of the build. My bow bulkhead started to turn into a curvehead, but was ok as soon as I glued it to the forecastle deck. My stern was listing to the left by a good 2 centimeters, but complied when I put in the last frame and quarterdeck. The ship itself is perfectly level so far. Hope it keeps that way.
RobT
#18 Posted : 02 September 2016 17:06:27

greyhawk wrote:
Have you watered and pressed it yet for a few days? I've had warp issues with nearly all parts, but most of them could be solved by watering and pressing for some days. Those that reestablished warp again afterwards complied when they were connected to the rest of the build. My bow bulkhead started to turn into a curvehead, but was ok as soon as I glued it to the forecastle deck. My stern was listing to the left by a good 2 centimeters, but complied when I put in the last frame and quarterdeck. The ship itself is perfectly level so far. Hope it keeps that way.

No I only got it today. I am soaking it now for an hour. I will then clamp between two heavy boards for a couple of days and hope for the best. I don't think its worth getting another replacement as the bend is not too bad and most of the keels may be like that.
greyhawk
#19 Posted : 02 September 2016 17:43:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gandale
#20 Posted : 03 September 2016 09:23:23

Hi Rob, you were right to get a replacement for the first keel. As for the second one, I'd use it but I'd also make sure I placed the whole thing into a build jig before gluing any parts together. Well done she's coming along very nicely.

Regards

Alan