Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages <1234>»
Rob's Soleil Royal build diary Options
RobT
#21 Posted : 04 September 2016 23:07:32

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Finally got building! The keel straightened beautifully after clamping, straight as an arrow.

Today consisted of doing the second deck piece (exactly the same as above), fitting 2 ribs, the bulkhead and the second keel piece. Pretty straightforward stuff at this stage. Still, should enjoy the quiet times before the storm arrives lol.

Martyn Ingram
#22 Posted : 05 September 2016 06:36:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Glad you got the frame sorted Rob looking forward to seeing your next update

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
magpie1832
#23 Posted : 05 September 2016 07:39:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start Rob. Glad you got the new parts and have it sorted. Look forward to your updates.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

ian smith
#24 Posted : 06 September 2016 11:56:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great Start Rob. Look forward to seeing your progress.
Ian
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
greyhawk
#25 Posted : 06 September 2016 21:41:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good.

I think you may have a minor droop in the bow part of the keel? Though that may also be the angle of the shot.
Gandale
#26 Posted : 06 September 2016 22:34:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

You're progressing nicely Rob but I think I see where Greyhawk is coming from. Just to be sure place a straight edge along the top of the keel, that should tell you whether your forward keel section has dropped slightly....

Regards

Alan
RobT
#27 Posted : 09 September 2016 21:04:00

Thanks for your concern guys, but I can confirm it is just the angle of the shot. In fact, I clamped it to build and I may have clamped it a little unlevel and thats given the effect of a drooping keel. A straight edge along the bottom shows it to be nice and straight.

Pack 1 is finished now. Deck has been given 2 coats of light oak wood dye and 2 coats of satin varnish, I'm normally a fan of darker decks in period ships, but because of the tone of this ship (The Royal Sun), I decided on a lighter, almost golden deck with a touch of shine.

And I also had the most amazing piece of timing from the postie ever. Just as I had finished drying my brush after the last coat of varnish, he knocked with pack 2!

So back to work tomorrow.

You still might see the droop in the first pic as I unclamped it to check after I took the pic.

magpie1832
#28 Posted : 09 September 2016 21:23:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice work Rob. Making great progress.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Martyn Ingram
#29 Posted : 09 September 2016 21:35:27

Looking good Rob I like the colour of the deck (:-)

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#30 Posted : 09 September 2016 22:02:30

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

She's looking good Rob and pleased your check showed no droop, always best to check these things rather than find there is a problem later on.... Love the decking, looks excellent..... Well done... Look forward to seeing you start on the next pack.

Regards

Alan
greyhawk
#31 Posted : 09 September 2016 22:37:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

RobT wrote:
Thanks for your concern guys, but I can confirm it is just the angle of the shot. In fact, I clamped it to build and I may have clamped it a little unlevel and thats given the effect of a drooping keel. A straight edge along the bottom shows it to be nice and straight.

Awesome. :-)

That's a nice colour on the deck planks.
RobT
#32 Posted : 30 September 2016 22:50:27

Some more progress. Coming to the end of pack 2 now. A couple more decks to go. All frames in. Going smoothly enough so far.

eebygum
#33 Posted : 30 September 2016 22:59:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Coming along nicely

Well Done!!

Terry
FINISHED BUILDS---- HMS Victory--Bismarck--Battleship Yamato-D51 Steam Train--Pocher Ferrari Testarossa--Soleil Royal--Schnellboot S-100--StageCoach 1848--HMS HOOD-- Delorean (Back to the Future)
magpie1832
#34 Posted : 30 September 2016 23:01:47

Looking very good Terry. Like the deck colour you have done.
Chris
On the bench

Gandale
#35 Posted : 30 September 2016 23:21:46

Looking great Rob, you're doing a great job.....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
RobT
#36 Posted : 30 September 2016 23:30:29

magpie1832 wrote:
Chris

Who's Terry Laugh
Martyn Ingram
#37 Posted : 01 October 2016 05:03:39

BigGrin coming along very nicely Rob lovely job Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
delboy271155
#38 Posted : 01 October 2016 06:07:06

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Rob,BigGrin

That`s looking impressive. Very neat and tidy work. Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

magpie1832
#39 Posted : 01 October 2016 08:01:34

RobT wrote:
magpie1832 wrote:
Chris

Who's Terry Laugh

LOL LOL Sorry Rob was talking to wife who said terry lol. I didnt even realise I had wrote it .
Regards
John erm sorry Chris.....
On the bench

davetwin
#40 Posted : 01 October 2016 18:18:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Your decks look really good Rob, a great result so far Cool