Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
VR86 D51 build Options
Virtue86
#1 Posted : 12 August 2016 09:00:01

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Well this is the start to my D51 build, i have had all of the components for some time now but have only recently made a start. I will be basing the colour scheme on a photograph i have of d51200 with red detailing and the while stripe. I also plan to add a few additional brass fittings to the footplate and the deflectors that dont exist as part of the kit. All coal and track ballast will also be loose laid. I have parked work on my hms hood while I build this as this will be a 70th birthday present for my dad and I will be working to a deadline. As noted throughout the other build logs I cant believe how good the quality of the components are.
Cheers
Peter

Current builds: Amati 1:200 Hood; D51 200
Bought and on the waiting list: HMS Endeavour's Longboat, 1:90 San Juan Nepomuceno, Titanic Lifeboat,1:200 Bismarck Strip and Rebuild
[b]Built:1:250 Titanic

Virtue86
#2 Posted : 12 August 2016 09:25:18

Cheers
Peter

Bought and on the waiting list: HMS Endeavour's Longboat, 1:90 San Juan Nepomuceno, Titanic Lifeboat,1:200 Bismarck Strip and Rebuild

davetwin
#3 Posted : 12 August 2016 13:18:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Look forward to seeing you get started, it's alway nice to watch different paint schemes and mods being done

Good luck with the build
Spal
#4 Posted : 12 August 2016 15:11:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good luck and enjoy your build, are you also getting the display case for it when its built to cover it.

Al
birdaj2
#5 Posted : 12 August 2016 15:18:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hope the build goes well for you.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Virtue86
#6 Posted : 12 August 2016 15:46:24

Spal wrote:
Good luck and enjoy your build, are you also getting the display case for it when its built to cover it.

Al

Thanks guys. I think i will probably look to get the case for it when i have enough money to do so. Got a belgian grand prix to pay for first.
Cheers
Peter

delboy271155
#7 Posted : 12 August 2016 16:00:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Great stuff.

Always good to see another D51 started.

Good luck and enjoy.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Virtue86
#8 Posted : 12 August 2016 18:04:47

The first stages were pretty straight forward once I mastered the degreasing of the metalwork. To begin with i had some major problems with paint not taking properly and crazing across the surface. I now seem to have got it sorted after stripping the first coat of paint completely off again. I have since touched up the area around the masked zones but just glad i have my approach to follow now.
Cheers
Peter

Virtue86
#9 Posted : 12 August 2016 18:10:23

The second stage in brass and painted

I will get better photographs of the painted components in daylight after the btcc at knockhill this weekend. Hope to have some more updates towards the end of next week
Cheers
Peter

arpurchase
#10 Posted : 12 August 2016 19:14:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice start and great to see another D51 on the go
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Virtue86
#11 Posted : 23 October 2016 08:35:44

Morning all,

Apologies I haven't been updating recently. Work pressures and all that, I have been making progress on the d51 and I have to say it's a brilliant kit to be working on.

I have been working on the running gear and out of sequence built the base for me to have something to sit the engine on as it gets built. The paintwork is taking the bulk of the time as I progress but I am taking my time to get the finish I want.

At this point where i had all of the running gear made up and sat on the rollers I thought it would be the correct time to upgrade something that I hadn't been too keen on from the very start of this model, the track ballast. As I now had the position of the drive wheels I have set the rollers in place and taken the train off the base. I mixed 3 types of javis ballast with some battlefield scatter to get a Moss finish to the gravel and mixed it thoroughly through matt varnish to get as dry a mix as possible but still have enough coverage to bind it all. The test came out as follows

And the actual base ended up looking as follows which I hope improves the look by removing the joints between the premoulded components

I will try to update again soon. Thanks for your time in looking.
Cheers
Peter

birdaj2
#12 Posted : 23 October 2016 09:11:20

Very neat painting.

Think i have made a problem for myself in that i havevpainted non of it at the moment so so major taking apart i think i will be doing.

I think my next set of parts will be the ballast sections. Really likevhiw you have upgraded yours.

What sort have black paint have you used as it looks lovely snd matt and so smooth.
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
Virtue86
#13 Posted : 23 October 2016 10:36:02

birdaj2 wrote:
Very neat painting.

Think i have made a problem for myself in that i havevpainted non of it at the moment so so major taking apart i think i will be doing.

I think my next set of parts will be the ballast sections. Really likevhiw you have upgraded yours.

What sort have black paint have you used as it looks lovely snd matt and so smooth.

Thanks for the comments. I am please with the way that the ballast has come out and the addition of the grassy elements gives it a bit of depth. I think the key was the matt clear varnish though as it darkened the aggregate from its original light grey colour. The black paint for the wheels is a games workshop paint "chaos black" and paints incredibly well on the metalwork. I have a little tidying up of the edges to do but will do this today before working on the main boiler.
Cheers
Peter

Gandale
#14 Posted : 23 October 2016 10:39:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Excellent paint job, going to be a superb build when finished by the looks of things....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#15 Posted : 23 October 2016 11:26:03

Virtue86 wrote:
birdaj2 wrote:
Very neat painting.

Thanks for the comments. I am please with the way that the ballast has come out and the addition of the grassy elements gives it a bit of depth. I think the key was the matt clear varnish though as it darkened the aggregate from its original light grey colour. The black paint for the wheels is a games workshop paint "chaos black" and paints incredibly well on the metalwork. I have a little tidying up of the edges to do but will do this today before working on the main boiler.

Peter

Thanks for the update on the paint.
Happy Modelling

arpurchase
#16 Posted : 23 October 2016 13:35:30

BigGrin Nice progress and the paint job and ballast looks greatCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#17 Posted : 23 October 2016 16:41:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice work with the paint Peter, it looks flawless Cool

I really love how your ballast has turned out too, a nice customisation ThumpUp
Virtue86
#18 Posted : 18 February 2017 22:43:14

Thanks everyone for the comments. Apologies it's been such a long time since I last posted. I have been beavering away in the background on this. So here goes..

I will next be working on the other running board and fixing the case that I ordered for the model as it arrived broken. Unfortunately I have to say that the case for this set doesn't match the quality of the model it's self.

Still very much enjoying this build and look forward to getting onto the cab for a couple of upgrades.

Thanks for looking in
Cheers
Peter

darbyvet
#19 Posted : 18 February 2017 23:13:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Beautiful work Peter.

Carl

Gandale
#20 Posted : 19 February 2017 00:18:17

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

An excellent update, very well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan