Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Badger 200 Airbrush Review Options
arpurchase
#1 Posted : 13 August 2016 10:47:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all

The airbrush is packaged in a sturdy cardboard box surrounded by a color printed card sleeve that on opening you find the airbrush and its supplied parts mounted in a card box and all held in position with shrink wrap. The gap on the right is where the air canister would be if it was supplied but due to postal restrictions aerosol cans are not allowed to be posted anymore.

Once the shrink wrap was removed we have the airbrush, two jars one with the siphon tube,pressure regulator, vinyl hose and inside the box the instruction leaflet in several languages. The instructions for use are easy to follow and it also has a broken down illustration to aid in part identification if they are ever needed.

The airbrush itself has a nice weight with badgers standard blue and chrome finish that sits easily in the hand and with the paint bottle attached has no tendency to dip its nose through the the weight of the paint and jar as in some cheaper airbrushes that are around. The airbrush is supplied with a protective vinyl cap that is easily removed. The trigger is single action that is precise and smooth that allows the air through in a strong and steady stream. The spray characteristics are 1.6 mm upto 50mm width so close work can be achieved and larger areas also accommodated.

The supplied hose and regulator cap are both standard items and fit onto the airbrush and regulator using threaded ends. If you have a compressor you will need to get an adapter to fit the correct air hose to the airbrush.

Overall a very nice and easy to use beginners airbrush that with the correct cleaning will give many years sterling service. I will be reporting on its spraying characteristics in due course.

The link below will take you to the page to order the above airbrush.

https://www.model-space.com/gb/airbrush-set.html

Regards

Andy
arpurchase attached the following image(s):
P8131357.JPG
P8131360.JPG
P8131359.JPG
P8131363.JPG
P8131365.JPG
P8131367.JPG
P8131368.JPG
P8131369.JPG
P8131370.JPG
P8131372.JPG
P8131373.JPG
P8131374.JPG
P8131375.JPG
P8131378.JPG
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

z8000783
#2 Posted : 13 August 2016 12:03:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Thanks Andy

Was the aerosol easy to get hold of and how much altogether?
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 13 August 2016 12:36:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The canned propellent should be available from all good model and art shops that stock airbrushes and the cans retail at around £9 for a 750ml content.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#4 Posted : 13 August 2016 21:00:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice review Andy

I'm tinkering with the idea of getting one myself. I've already got 3 double action airbrushes but this sounds like it would be quite handy for doing a 1/200 hull as I'm not a fan of aerosols
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 13 August 2016 21:10:09

Its a fantastic airbrush for doing large area's and with the 2nd pot you can mix up a large amount of paint if its needed so you dont get color changes that sometimes happens from mixing up another batch of paint.

Martyn Ingram
#6 Posted : 13 August 2016 21:32:05

davetwin wrote:
Nice review Andy

I'm tinkering with the idea of getting one myself. I've already got 3 double action airbrushes but this sounds like it would be quite handy for doing a 1/200 hull as I'm not a fan of aerosols

For large areas this is a great airbrush Dave I used it on my SotS for doing the hull and the black along the bulwarks

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 28 August 2016 23:02:26

Hi All

I have been using this airbrush as often as I can lately but thought to give this a proper test lets see how it can layer several thin coats of grey/white on the Schnellboot build.

The main hatch that covers the motors is a large piece that needs to be sprayed up white first and then the graphite grey decking color added after after masking.

The hatch cover was firstly sealed with a coat of sanding sealer [ dope and talcum powder if you want to mix your own] then sanded back to remove the raised grain and then a white undercoat was firstly sprayed in two light coats. This was then left to dry for 24 hours.

Once the undercoat was cured the top coat white was mixed in both paint pots provided in the set this was done to ensure the mix was the same to keep the color constant. White is white I hear you say but so is black and like white it has so many hues the last thing you want is a color change from the front to rear.

Then I proceeded to spray the cover with light coats of paint, the reason for several light coats was that there are hollows a to fill under the exhaust/ air intake stacks that if you spray heavily will just cause the paint to build up in those cavity's and then run thus ruining the paint job.

So all the cavity's and undersides were first given a coat then the front centre section and after the lower sides were covered this just left the upper exposed area's to do. to get a decent job took around 6 to 8 coats but worth it.

What I love about this Airbrush is the simplicity of use. load up the paint and off you go and it works every time the trigger is smooth in action and is instant with paint control. Adjustment of the spray area is as precise as you want it to be, a half turn of the screw at the rear screw adjuster makes a noticable difference to the spray cone.

In conclusion it did all I asked of it and came through with flying color's, easily adjustable with an accurate action and easy to clean after use.

Andy

arpurchase attached the following image(s):
P8211668.JPG
P8281688.JPG
P8281690.JPG
P8281692.JPG

birdaj2
#8 Posted : 29 August 2016 15:28:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Andy

Very good review on the airbrush and holds with my thinking that this is a top piece of kit.

Had the 200 for many years and despite being tempted into buying some very "exotic" models i still go back to this one.

Many of the dual action are really intended for detailed graphics work and while they perform very well, this badger item you have tested i think covers just about all modelling requirements you might encounter.

Its a great price and a sound piece of kit.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
davetwin
#9 Posted : 29 August 2016 18:12:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks like it did a decent job Andy, I'm still toying with the idea of getting one myself as will come in handy when doing 1/200 ship hulls
arpurchase
#10 Posted : 30 August 2016 20:25:30

For a basic airbrush you just cant go wrong with it and its perfect for large area's

Martyn Ingram
#11 Posted : 30 August 2016 20:58:59

I have one of these and can thoroughly recommend it Dave as I am not a air brush artist but it's so easy to use (:-)

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
arpurchase
#12 Posted : 31 August 2016 18:43:41

Couldnt agree more with your comments Martyn

z8000783
#13 Posted : 05 October 2016 14:26:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Bought a couple of these today. Are they OK for the this kit?

Spraycraft

arpurchase
#14 Posted : 05 October 2016 18:21:01

BigGrin Should be Fine just be aware as the can empty's the pressure drops slowly so in effect the spray cone can suffer when the can gets below a third full.Cool

z8000783
#15 Posted : 05 October 2016 21:55:52

Thanks Andy. I'll report back on progress with it.
z8000783
#16 Posted : 29 June 2017 17:54:12

Hi Andy

Bought a couple of cans and they work fine by realised a compressor was required. Used the airbrush to paint the side of the Victory using Admiralty Paints yellow ochre. Was great for the first 3 layers but then I hit problems. No paint was coming trough, I watered the yellow down until it was almost neat water, but nothing. When I used water it would start again but not with the paint. Eventually even the water stopped spraying.

I gave it a thorough clean and have got the water running again and will try painting again tomorrow but I am not hopeful it will last long. In the meantime I saw a website that didn't recommend water based thinning which will be a shame if it's true as I have bought all the paints and really like the finish.

Any thoughts on this. Are these pints OK or would you recommend something else?
arpurchase
#17 Posted : 29 June 2017 19:23:11

Hi

With all airbrushes you need to clean them after every use which is the only drawback with using them. Without the correct cleaning they can quickly block up like yours did.

Also you mention using water to thin your paint this is also not a good idea, the use of a good propriety paint thinner should be adhered too at all times as they contain additives that help the paint spray correctly. When thinning your paint your paint it needs to be the consistency of milk so around a 50/50 mix is about right but as you mix paint more you can judge the amount needed with the type of paint your using. Below is a link to an example of a good paint thinner, Vallejo also do a good one but any one you fancy will do the trick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...6220:g:CCoAAOSwS7hW~n02

Now for cleaning as with all airbrushes after use a good propriety cleaner must be used to remove all paint from the airbrush. Firstly remove the paint pot and store any remaining paint in a sealable bottle then wash it clean. Fill the clean jar [or a spare jar] with cleaning fluid and spray away until the fluid runs clear. Next carefully remove the needle and clean any paint from it with a soft damp cloth dampened with cleaning fluid, be careful not to bend the needle tip and replace. then store your airbrush until its needed again. Below is a link to a bottle of cleaner but any good brand will do.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...5%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

You may also consider getting a cleaning station there are just the containers available or sets with brushes ect but they are more expensive, links below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...aad2:g:CcoAAOSwstJZUN8L

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...de36:g:FFcAAOSw4YdYyBlg

Hope this helps

Andy

z8000783
#18 Posted : 29 June 2017 19:53:31

Many thanks Andy.

So just to clarify, I should use thinners and not water with the admiralty paints. On that. will white spirit do and getting much else here in Greece is difficult.

Thanks again.
arpurchase
#19 Posted : 29 June 2017 20:19:07

Hi John

Do not use white spirits as a thinner it is for oil based paints only. Try to get a water based paint thinner like I have shown in the above post. Just an idea do you have artists shops in Greece they will sell water based thinners for acrylics and also cleaning fluids for the same.

Andy

z8000783
#20 Posted : 30 June 2017 06:41:07

I will have a look but there are not many where I live.

Many thanks once more.