Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
petpoles Surprise Options
petpole
#1 Posted : 10 March 2011 00:28:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I have finally surcome to this build and here are just a couple of pics of how it's going.

next to my victory build.

the deck all set out.

All fitted to my new improvised jig lol.

Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.
magpie1832
#2 Posted : 11 March 2011 05:24:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good mate. Takes shape very quick. Dwarfs the Victory lol.
Chris.
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

petpole
#3 Posted : 12 April 2011 23:59:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

just an update of where i am with the build so far.

I have decked with walnut and started tree nailing.

here's what it lookes like after the cocktail sticks cut off.

and this is what the finished result will look like (hopefully)BigGrin

and before i started planking fitted the forward stairwell so as i did not have to fiddle about to much.

i will be able to start planking soon i hopeCrying
saintsman123
#4 Posted : 13 April 2011 10:28:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looks nice Petpole.

Do you just use a craft knife to trim the cocktail sticks? How to you avoid scratching the planks?
Come on you Jimmies
Tomick
#5 Posted : 13 April 2011 11:16:55

Groups:

Nice painstaking work PP Cool - or should that be cocktail stick staking BigGrin
karl1113
#6 Posted : 13 April 2011 11:48:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi saint,I use side cutters to trim then sand down.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
saintsman123
#7 Posted : 13 April 2011 12:19:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

karl1113 wrote:
hi saint,I use side cutters to trim then sand down.

Thanks Karl

bob
Come on you Jimmies
petpole
#8 Posted : 13 April 2011 23:31:00

yes it was just side cutters then just sanding them down flush with the deck, thanks for the comments its just a labour of love Crying
budgie
#9 Posted : 15 April 2011 21:44:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin lookin good Petpole
petpole
#10 Posted : 19 April 2011 16:58:33

Here is where i am so far with a little poetic liecence on the companion ways and my first attempt.

here is the finished deck with a couple of coats of danish oil i just hope its not to dark as i want to add as much detail as posible as you might see it through the gun hatchesConfused .

and here is the stove temperally fitted to give scale.

well as i said it is a labour of love or is it just insanity LOL Flapper .

magpie1832
#11 Posted : 19 April 2011 18:21:51

Looking Good Petpole, Keep it up. Building these are slow but worth the time in the end..BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

petpole
#12 Posted : 03 January 2012 00:06:15

Been so long for an update asi have been building victory and waiting on parts but decided it was time to give hms surprise more time so hear is mylatest pic of the planking so far.

will update more very soon lots to do lolBigGrin BigGrin
petpole
#13 Posted : 11 March 2012 16:28:12

Thought it was about time i put some more pictures of my surprise as the hull planking took so long as i had to redo it 3 times to get it right.

Any comments welcome

Hope all the effort is worth my limited skill but will be painting her in similar colours as to the Rose.

Thanks for looking.BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
moriarty
#14 Posted : 11 March 2012 17:30:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

She,s looking good petpole.I thought everybody had packed up on the surprise build, never heard anything for ages on these builds. Good to see one emerge.
HMS Surprise
HMS Snake
HMS Bounty
HMS Royal Caroline
HMS Victory rebuild
HMS Supply
petpole
#15 Posted : 11 March 2012 20:21:46

Well that planking and sanding to an age but its really coming on now will put some more pics up next week.
saintsman123
#16 Posted : 11 March 2012 22:05:53

looking really good petpoleThumpUp , i have always liked the planking contrast on the surprise.
Come on you Jimmies
petpole
#17 Posted : 10 April 2012 19:45:51

Just some pictures to show how she is looking now after applying the hms rose colours.

Any coments welcome.
MWG
#18 Posted : 10 April 2012 21:33:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice clean workBigGrin keep up the good work Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Mo
#19 Posted : 10 April 2012 22:19:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Great stuff, Its coming on a treat, can I ask what is the white I am seeing between the lower planking and the black paint, and is the colour of the captains quarters ( blue ) its final colour. I find ne referance on the build instructions or the drawings as to what colours things are to be. Keep it up, look forward to your posts.

Mo
Mo
petpole
#20 Posted : 10 April 2012 22:41:44

The colours are entierlly of your own choosing as this is a varnished model but i was looking at photos of HMS Rose and made some changes to the sceam as on the rose the hull is all white, but after putting all the effort of doing the planking it seemed a shame to cover it, thats all.
Thanks for your comments.