Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Infidex's Sovereign of the Seas Build Options
birdaj2
#21 Posted : 29 August 2016 10:19:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

You are getting on very well with this one.

Hope the build continues to go well for you.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
AdamHall
#22 Posted : 29 August 2016 14:06:52

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Great start. A designated work space is definitely required. Also helps at this stage to have the keel section in a jig. This will assist you in keeping the keel straight and then getting the bulkhead sections square to the keel. You may already be doing this, but not shown in your pictures. Keep up the great work.
birdaj2
#23 Posted : 29 August 2016 15:34:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I will second Adam's comments about getting this into a jig.

The basic carcass goes together very well but once you get the pkanking started twisting can be an issue.

In simple terms when you apply wood glue it "wets" the plank and in miniscule terms swells the wood. You tack it in place and as it dries it shrinks.

Because wood glue is strong and the plank wants to shrink back you can find it pulls the keel and frames out of true.

Just keep an eye on things and it should go "A" ok. :-)
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
infidex
#24 Posted : 29 August 2016 18:53:03

birdaj2 wrote:
I will second Adam's comments about getting this into a jig.

The basic carcass goes together very well but once you get the pkanking started twisting can be an issue.

In simple terms when you apply wood glue it "wets" the plank and in miniscule terms swells the wood. You tack it in place and as it dries it shrinks.

Because wood glue is strong and the plank wants to shrink back you can find it pulls the keel and frames out of true.

Just keep an eye on things and it should go "A" ok. :-)

Actually picked up a board and some 90 degree angle pieces to create a jig. I have yet to glue any of the rib frames to the keel, I slid them in dry to build down the length of the ships main back bone, with the plan to put it in the jig and glue it all together so that I can insure everything is perpendicular.

The part I least look forward to is putting the side planking on, but have done a lot of skinning on planes and know how things can warp and twist, so shouldn't be too bad. Thanks for the heads up on this, I saw people with jigs in some other builds and on some video's I watched, so basically copying what I seen done there. Probably 1 or 2 more updates, you'll see that in the pics.

Current DeAgostini Model Space Builds:
Millennium Falcon; Sovereign of the Seas, Ford Mustang Shelby

Current "Other" Model Builds:
Bandai 1/12 C-3PO (Japan Import); Revell 1/48 X-Wing "Master Series"

On The Shelf Waiting to Be Started:
Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon "Master Series"; Bandai 1/12 Boba Fett; Bandai 1/72 Y-Wing Star Fighter; Bandai 1/72 A-Wing Starfighter
Gandale
#25 Posted : 29 August 2016 21:40:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nicely done, you're progressing really well... I think every one of us felt some degree of trepidation when it came to getting planking underway but you'll find you'll soon get into it and will enjoy the progress you make. Simply take your time and ask if the there is anything you're unsure of... It's not as difficult as it may appear....

Regards..

Alan
infidex
#26 Posted : 01 September 2016 04:03:24

Some more progress this evening. I have my materials for my fixture, so next step will be moving her over to the wood plank and supporting the keel to make sure everything is straight. I think I saw others do this, but would you suggest I glue the decking on before gluing the framing ribs to the keel? All of the framing ribs are dry fit right now.

Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon "Master Series"; Bandai 1/12 Boba Fett; Bandai 1/72 Y-Wing Star Fighter; Bandai 1/72 A-Wing Starfighter
Martyn Ingram
#27 Posted : 01 September 2016 06:54:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Infidex she is starting to take shape. For a first build I would go with the instructions and glue the bulkheads before the deck so you can make sure everything is lined up. Once the deck is on it stiffens the whole thing up . Hope this helps rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
davetwin
#28 Posted : 01 September 2016 20:39:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good infidex.

When you glue the ribs on, if you clip a set square or something that has a right angle on it to the rib and keel it will ensure it dries in the correct position
Gandale
#29 Posted : 01 September 2016 20:48:15

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Keep the pics coming, you're doing a really nice job....

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#30 Posted : 01 September 2016 22:18:17

Nice work on the frames. Doing great work.
Look forward to your next update.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

infidex
#31 Posted : 04 September 2016 04:23:33

Checking fit for the decking. All the ribs and decking are dry fit right now, next step is to glue and secure it all together.

scraperjawa
#32 Posted : 04 September 2016 07:22:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good, Infidex. I just glued all the ribs and the first deck today. It became a much more solid structure after that.

Stephen
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Finished Builds: Millennium Falcon

birdaj2
#33 Posted : 04 September 2016 09:10:17

Its all looking very neat and tidy.

Hope the build continues to go well.
Happy Modelling

Gandale
#34 Posted : 04 September 2016 09:26:00

Very nice, looking at the pics I can see that everything is lining up very nicely. Look forward to seeing it all pinned and glued... Well done...

Regards

Alan
infidex
#35 Posted : 06 September 2016 17:56:29

After browsing some other sections on the forum, I realized there was a build diary section for this ship elsewhere, so I moved my photos to date there, and am supplying the link in case anyone wants to follow along. My bad on starting this diary here, I saw the other model's I'm building had the build diary's under the section for the model, where these look to be grouped in a separate section for the ships.

Link to where I'll continue my build diary from:

Infidex's Build Diary - Sovereign of the Seas