Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

tf64 build Options
tf64
#1 Posted : 11 March 2011 11:55:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Shipmates,
I started to build plastic kits about the late 50's like most at that time it was bought for me on my Birthday's,it was the time when you where given a large kit box and when you opened it you were extremely disappointed to find all the compartments were half empty or half full which ever you looked at it.However new materials had just started to arrive in the UK,Balsa wood it was called, you were able to buy it in large blocks very cheaply so this was to be my first wood build I called it H.M.S Bread carved out by hand with my mothers bread knife and sanded down with Barry Bucknels DIY sandpaper plus assorted plasters from the same store.
Paint work was good my father was painting his wood greenhouse at the time, so you think that will do,green was the colour it did influence my friends.The next thing was to power my boat, this I did with a empty metal cigar tube with a pin hole at the back filled with water and heated by a candle,this was tried out many times in the bath but just the once at the lake,this was the end of my boat experience until now.

I moved on model aircraft spent a few years building plastic kits.By the time i was in my twenties and spending weekends getting you know, drunk and club's but I was still building occasionally.Then the wife,then the family,then no build,the nearest I got to using my hands was decorating!
Coming up to date I had not built a kit for some time and wanted something to do as a hobby.On looking at a few web sights I have discovered how far forward wooden models had progressed.I decided that I wanted to build a ship again so when deagostini started the Victory (which i had long admired)this was a good start for me.
To date I am on and around issue 31 but have issues to 49, I know I am slow to start but catching up now.I have followed you all from day one so I know all your builds and may I say they are to a very high standard.I haven't many pictures but I will be sending soon.

Regards tf64.

tf64 attached the following image(s):
VICTORY BUILD 031.JPG
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

karl1113
#2 Posted : 11 March 2011 12:02:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

welcome,you sound like your 'bout the same age as me,(too old)love to see your pics,good luck with your build.Know Croyden well,my grandad came from thornton Heath.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
benny
#3 Posted : 11 March 2011 12:55:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

hi tf64 nice intro..will look forward to your pictures..
cheers benny
Son of Bulwark
#4 Posted : 11 March 2011 19:30:15

Groups:

Welcome tf64! Cool

It doesn't matter if you’re on issue 31 at least you can see what's gone wrong and avoid the same problems. Laugh Some people have gone quiet lately I think it's the lower hull planking that has them puzzled, Confused if you need some help you only need to ask!

Good Luck Mate!
MWG
#5 Posted : 11 March 2011 19:56:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome tf64, as they say its not a race its a journey!
I am holding back to take notice of what the experts do in general, and Mr T,Colin ,Karl,Magpie,Son of Bulwark,Jase and Mr Turpin (to name a few) in particular.
I could not do it without you.

Thank you!

MWG
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

jonny7england
#6 Posted : 11 March 2011 20:22:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi tf64 and welcome to the forum mate, know what you mean about the early modelling days, been there, done that and got the tee shirt as the saying goes,Blink I am around where you are with my build, and yes, I have found the lower planking a bit of a puzzle tooConfusedBut as been mentioned, if you need any help there's a great bunch of peeps on here that can point you in the right direction...Hope you enjoy your build, look forward to your pictures...Good luck mate...
BigGrin
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Tomick
#7 Posted : 11 March 2011 21:45:49

Groups:

Welcome aboard tf64 and look orward to seeing your build Cool
riff-raff
#8 Posted : 16 March 2011 16:48:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking forward to seeing you build tf64 - Welcome back to the world of modelling mate
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Built:
Golden Star, English Brig. RMS Titanic. (Academy 1/400 Centenary Anniversary Edition) Revell-Monogram 1/48 B-29 Superfortress 1:8 Baron von Richthofen's Fokker Tri-plane. HMS Victory. Nelsons Flag Ship. Sultan Arab Dhow. Artesania Latina Carmen II. The Battleship Yamato. Model Airways Wright Flyer 1:16 Scale. Trumpeter Bismarck 1/200. HMS Sovereign of the Seas. The Black Pearl.

Building:HMS Surprisel. Hatchette U96. Soleil Royal.