Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

John Hersey And The Bomb Options
arpurchase
#1 Posted : 26 August 2016 23:24:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

On the 31st of August 70 years ago 'The New Yorker' magazine published a 30.000 word essay on the atom bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

Today we talk about things going viral, this essay went into the stratosphere at the time because Hersey focused on the people and not the damage to the city. He wrote about six people and there experiences and went back many years later to find only 4 of them alive.

At the time there was censorship by the military of the facts that people died either a few weeks after the drop or died a slow death over many years due to the exposure to radiation from the blast.

This is another major essay that you should get your children to listen too as it brings the true horror of the bomb and its lingering death for many survivors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37131894

Link to the I-player here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pzj7p
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ModelMania
#2 Posted : 27 August 2016 10:02:59

Groups:

An interesting article and I shall be listening to the I-player recordings over the weekend.

Thanks for sharing this Andy - very important stuff!!

Kev