Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Not Printing Options
wickedboy11
#1 Posted : 04 September 2016 16:23:44

Groups: Registered

I have assembled the printer and it works in manual control. I have clicked print and nothing is printing. The table moves in to position but nothing prints.
HELP

arpurchase
#2 Posted : 04 September 2016 17:06:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi WB

Sounds like its awaiting the heated bed to get to temperature, so open your Repetitor Host go into printer settings then printer and set the heated bed temp to 0.

Restart your print after doing this and you should see the temp rise at the bottom of the Host program as the print head heats up once it is at the correct operating temp it should start printing.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

wickedboy11
#3 Posted : 04 September 2016 17:13:53

Thanks arpurchase
that seemed to do the trick. The printer is missing the first part of the print. I have upped the number of loops before the model prints but it is still not sticking to the mat.
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 04 September 2016 18:45:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great stuff, double check the printer bed height to the print nozzle as this can be a cause of the print not starting properly
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

wickedboy11
#5 Posted : 04 September 2016 18:51:37

Thanks arpurchase
I will try this and see if it resolves the issue. Have you build the Idbox
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 04 September 2016 19:06:24

No probs and yes I have built the printer, you can see mine in action here,just click on the link: -

http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=19528

Andy

wickedboy11
#7 Posted : 11 September 2016 11:58:16

arpurchase

Thanks for your reply. the print doesn't stick at all. The bed is nearly touching the head.

this is getting really frustrating and I am thinking of returning the printer as it isn't working correctly.
I have tried adjusting the bed from 3mm to 2mm and 1mm and now nearly touching. the filament is coming out of the head but not sticking to the bed, it is just dragging and sticking to the head. this is causing a lot of wasted filament. This is a big outlay and I feel I have not got sufficient support. on a previous email you stated you were unable to come out and see me, due to insurance issues. Would I be able to bring the machine to you and show you what is happening myself, would this bypass insurance issues.

Tomick
#8 Posted : 11 September 2016 13:25:18

Groups:

All 3D Printers require an element of setting up and frustration can ensue until set up.

In instances where the unit is a self build item, then it is your responsibility to ensure that the unit has been constructed and set up in accordance with instructions.
You have been offered guidance which so far has been on the correct lines to try and resolve the problem. The next stage would be for you to double check the entire construction of your unit as it is possible that this is where the problem may lie.
Once this full check has been done and the problem still apparent, we will then speak with manufacturer support in an attempt to ascertain what might be the cause of the problem, which initially suggests that something is not set as it should be rather than fault.

Please do not pressure an individual to invite you into their home or that they might visit you. ModelSpace/DeAgostini do not provide a home visit service.

arpurchase
#9 Posted : 11 September 2016 14:12:55

Hi

Double check your build and make sure it is truely Square on its base as any movement or rocking means that it needs adjusting.

Make sure the Buildtac sheet is placed on the table with the black side with logo facing up toward the print head.

You could also try raising the printer head temperature by 10 degree's or so to improve filament flow.

Andy

kenjara
#10 Posted : 13 September 2016 12:58:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi it sounds like the printer is working properly and its just a matter of configuration.

What model are you trying to print? Different models may require tweaks to get the first layer down properly.

Just before the printer moves to the center to start printing are you making sure that the head is clean. I use some needle nose tweezers to remove any filament that has balled up around the nozzle.

The higher the temperature the more likely this is to happen and as the filament is extruded it will stick to anything around the nozzle instead of going onto the bed.

Are you using the sample filament that came with the printer or something you brought?

As well as increasing the loops you can also decrease the first layer speed. I think the default is 30% and I dropped mine down to 20% of 10% in some cases. This helps to get a good first layer on more complex shapes.

If you can get a video of your printer printing I may have a better idea of what is happening. Also if you could try to get a photo of the gap between the extruder nozzle and the board that would be great.

Thanks,

Shane

Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
wickedboy11
#11 Posted : 13 September 2016 20:37:14

The filament is the one supplied

https://youtu.be/1ufp5_xY0os
Video of the problem.
arpurchase
#12 Posted : 13 September 2016 20:50:35

Looks like the print head is still too far away from the print bed still, so it cant lay any filament. More adjustment of the print head to bed will be needed.

kenjara
#13 Posted : 14 September 2016 07:54:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

One thing you can try which is my preferred method of calibration now is to pick a model and place it centrally on the table (something with a fair size so the loops are bigger). Set the loops to something high like 10.

Drop the first layer speed 10% or so from the default.

Now start the print and as it is making the loops evenly and slowly start adjusting the screws to bring the board closer to the nozzle. At some point it should start sticking to the board. Once this happens watch it go round and ensure this is the case on all corners of the loop. If not adjust the relevant screws.

Once you have a complete loop sticking it is just the case of making small adjustments until it's laying evenly.

As I said before I always print the first later slower. I tend to use about 3 loops for big models that fill up most of the table and 6 for smaller ones.

One other thing do not expect to see the filament coming out smoothly as soon as it moves and starts printing it may loop around a bit before the flow becomes consistent.

Tomick
#14 Posted : 14 September 2016 11:16:19

Groups:

As noted in the instructions, be very mindful of not putting hands into the machine while it is operating Blink
kenjara
#15 Posted : 14 September 2016 13:20:59

I can see from the video that the nozzle is way too far from the bed, the gap should be so small that you struggle to see it.

For a more accurate way of measuring the gap you could get something known as a feeler gauge which has different lengths of metal used to measure thicknesses.

I still prefer the test print and live calibration option though and you will find this is the popular method when looking up 3D printer calibration.

Tomick
#16 Posted : 14 September 2016 16:06:33

Groups:

Arp noted the nozzle was to far way from the bed at post #13.

At post #8, WB says he had the gap down to 1mm, unsure why in the video the nozzle/bed gap looks way much more. WB, you need set the gap to no more than 1mm.

Also which colour of the supplied filament are you using and have you observed the info about the fan air deflection strip, in accordance with using PLA or ABS filament?
arpurchase
#17 Posted : 14 September 2016 20:34:22

BigGrin Hi WB

If you look at at the User Guide, pages 291 - 292 in build magazine 11 you will see the Title:-

'Set the Z = 0 Z-axis coordinate height and level the table'

To quote from step 8 after the initial calibration:-

'The appropriate distance between the table and nozzle at Z = 0.0 is just enough of a gap so that a business card can fit through, but there is still slight resistance when moving the card around. This gap is called the 'appropriate gap'.

Clearly from your video showing at least a 3mm gap between the head and table that these stages 1 to 13 have been missed otherwise the gap would be correct and the printer working as it should.

Please could you recalibrate your head and table as per the instructions and report back with the results.

AndyCool

wickedboy11
#18 Posted : 08 October 2016 12:43:00

Recalibrated printer. Printer set to CuraEngine, temperature reached but not printing. printing....ETE 2H layer 0 of 349, been like this for 10 mins
darbyvet
#19 Posted : 08 October 2016 15:10:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

wickedboy11 wrote:
Recalibrated printer. Printer set to CuraEngine, temperature reached but not printing. printing....ETE 2H layer 0 of 349, been like this for 10 mins

Did you check the g code to see if it is waiting for the bed to heat up.I had the same problem and discovered there was a command at the start of the g code that told the printer to waiting until the bed had heated up before starting the print so repetier host wont print because the bed is not heated.This happens even if you turn off the bed in the manual control screen.

If you look at the g code in the g code editor screen you will see a command to wait for the pritner bed to heat up;

The command is M190 S50

M190 refers to the bed and the S50 tells repetier host to wait until the bed is heated to 50 degrees to start printing.

All you need to do is change the code to M190 S0 and the printer should start printing.

Here is how I do my prints;

1.Load the object file into repetier host. Scale it to the size I want, center it and then slice it with curaengine.

2.Once the slicing has finished I check the g code to look for the M190 command and make sure the s is set to 0.

3.I always use a raft because often the first part of the print doesnt stick well to the bed (common to all 3d printers).The raft makes sure that once you actualy start printing the object the filament is sticking down really well.

4.I then go to the manual control screen and turn the extruder on.

5.For PLA I set the extruder temp to 210 degrees.

6.Once the extruder is at working temp I press on the extruder button (set to 10) in the manual control to extrude so filament to see if it is melting OK.I find it is easier to do this now before the print table is really close to the print head.

7.I then go to the print menu and start the print. The printer will home the x and y axis and then the print bed will lower all the way down to it home position for the z axis and then move back up to the print head.As it gets close to the print head (within 20mm) the print head should start moving to the center of the print bed.The filament will start extruding.

8. The raft prints first.Then it will print your object.There is a timer telling you how long the print will take.

Carl
arpurchase
#20 Posted : 08 October 2016 17:25:06

BigGrin I would suggest the same as Carl it just needs the code adjusting to get it printingCool