Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Infidex's Sovereign of the Seas Build Options
infidex
#1 Posted : 06 September 2016 17:49:19

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I started posting my build in another location in the Sovereign of the Seas Forum area, before realizing that everyone is posting their builds here, so I'll repost some pictures in a post here and pick up where I left off there.

I just got the first month (1-11 parts) a couple weeks ago, I asked customer service to go ahead and send the next shipment of parts 2 weeks early so I don't have to wait. I'm also building the Ford Shelby Mustang and the Millennium Falcon, but mostly collecting parts on those while the Sovereign of the Seas keeps me busy.

Will post some pics in an additional post. Thanks for taking time to check out my build, will continue to post as I make noticeable progress.
Current DeAgostini Model Space Builds:
Millennium Falcon; Sovereign of the Seas, Ford Mustang Shelby

Current "Other" Model Builds:
Bandai 1/12 C-3PO (Japan Import); Revell 1/48 X-Wing "Master Series"

On The Shelf Waiting to Be Started:
Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon "Master Series"; Bandai 1/12 Boba Fett; Bandai 1/72 Y-Wing Star Fighter; Bandai 1/72 A-Wing Starfighter
infidex
#2 Posted : 06 September 2016 17:53:25

My build progress so far (carried over from my build diary I placed elsewhere in the forum).

First monthly pack received.

Starting the build....

Decking dry fit

Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon "Master Series"; Bandai 1/12 Boba Fett; Bandai 1/72 Y-Wing Star Fighter; Bandai 1/72 A-Wing Starfighter
Gandale
#3 Posted : 06 September 2016 22:58:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good and nice to see you've set her into a build jig... Look forward to seeing your progress..

Regards

Alan
infidex
#4 Posted : 10 September 2016 04:48:03

Pack 2 arrived today...., I requested it to ship early by about 2 weeks. Also got the first free gift.

I've skipped a few items in Pack 1 for now (still need to skin the launch and skipped the cannon builds for now, will do those as time permits between other packs). Here are the contents from pack 2 (build items 12-22).

Starting in on pack 2, ready to get to the planks already and see how challenging that is, but first need to get these side pieces in and put the next deck on.

Martyn Ingram
#5 Posted : 10 September 2016 06:54:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Coming along very nicely looking forward to seeing your next update

Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
pemberg
#6 Posted : 10 September 2016 11:06:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

She is coming along nicely, keep up the good work.
Graeme
infidex
#7 Posted : 17 September 2016 04:31:48

Put on the stringers and started putting on the 2nd deck. First two deck pieces aligned very well and went on with very little sanding/fitting. Hoping the other 4 sections go on just as smooth. Still need to go back and do some work on the launch, I skipped around a little to make some good progress on the main ship.

Martyn Ingram
#8 Posted : 17 September 2016 08:29:03

BigGrin Very nice progress Infidex looking forward to seeing your next update BigGrin

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#9 Posted : 17 September 2016 09:52:04

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good, appears as if everything is lining up very nicely.... If you haven't fitted all the deck sections yet then you may like to consider adding an additional support piece under the centre of some of the deck support beams. Well done....BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
infidex
#10 Posted : 17 September 2016 23:04:30

Gandale wrote:
Looking good, appears as if everything is lining up very nicely.... If you haven't fitted all the deck sections yet then you may like to consider adding an additional support piece under the centre of some of the deck support beams. Well done....BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan

Thanks, I actually used some of the cut-offs to put some supports in the middle of the majority of these. I noticed they were a bit flexible so I managed to get two under this and did the rest before putting on the other 4 deck pieces. May not be needed, but I figure better safe than sorry.

infidex
#11 Posted : 17 September 2016 23:08:57

Added some supports to the flimsy beams before I continued on with decking, got the decking complete for level 2 and some of the rear assembly together. Slapped some black paint on the stringers and outside edges of the deck per the directions, and started to step back and work on the launch some (I skipped a lot of that in the directions to focus more on the big ship).

I got a couple binders (Thanks Bullstic) which are awesome since they don't come as gifts with the kit and if I recall, not available in the US. These are great, will put half of the issues in one and the others in the 2nd. Some pictures of the progress made this afternoon.....

arpurchase
#12 Posted : 17 September 2016 23:43:15

BigGrin Looking great ,you will soon start putting some meat on those bones but before that its the fairing no big deal but perhaps the link to this tool may help you out with it:-

http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=17156

Its the 280 mm ones you need to look at as these have the right length for doing the fairing. I have used Permagrit tools for many years and can only say you wonder how you got by without them and there great for every job around the home too.Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

infidex
#13 Posted : 18 September 2016 02:04:51

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Looking great ,you will soon start putting some meat on those bones but before that its the fairing no big deal but perhaps the link to this tool may help you out with it:-

http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=17156

Its the 280 mm ones you need to look at as these have the right length for doing the fairing. I have used Permagrit tools for many years and can only say you wonder how you got by without them and there great for every job around the home too.Cool

Thanks, these look nice. I'll have to search web as they are about 50 delivered each on amazon in the US. I do have sanding bars from top flite that I use on large RC plane kits, I'm going to give these a try as well.

davetwin
#14 Posted : 18 September 2016 13:29:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks like you are having fun building this, it certainly looks nice and neat.

Great job ThumpUp Cool
birdaj2
#15 Posted : 18 September 2016 14:45:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

its all looking very neat and tidy.

Hope you enjoy your next phase with the planking as that is when it really starts to take on shape.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach