Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Opinions wanted please Options
Metal Mech
#1 Posted : 16 September 2016 04:46:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Ok so I want your guys opinion. My intake manifold has a paint scuff on it. Its small and I have a feeling it won't be noticed much once everything is built. Do you think I should contact customer service and ask for a new one or just go with the one I have? I posted a photo below so you can see what I am talking about.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
Nemesis
#2 Posted : 16 September 2016 10:36:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Right here goes!LOL In my opinion it is meant to be aluminium and it has a very metallic finish, so if it was me I would re paint it flat aluminium.BigGrin
roymattblack
#3 Posted : 16 September 2016 11:49:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Ditto the above.

When I build mine, most of the mechanicals will get a repaint as the kit parts - although maybe the correct colour - look a little too 'flashy' for my taste.
But then I enjoy going potty with my builds anyway.

Roy.
Metal Mech
#4 Posted : 16 September 2016 11:57:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nemesis wrote:
Right here goes!LOL In my opinion it is meant to be aluminium and it has a very metallic finish, so if it was me I would re paint it flat aluminium.BigGrin

Yeah I really don't plan to go that route. I am planning to build this model pretty much stock with only a few bits painted here and there. If I paint the intake then I pretty much have to paint all the parts that are that color on the engine.

DeAgostini kit builds:

davetwin
#5 Posted : 16 September 2016 12:52:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Once everything starts getting added to the engine block you will struggle to see it but if it does bother you then give customer services a ring for a replacement
70 Coupe
#6 Posted : 16 September 2016 18:34:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi. By the time the rocker covers are on plus the carbs and air filter I think you'd really struggle to see the mark, but as stated earlier, if you're not happy, get it replaced...
Tony
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 16 September 2016 20:24:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin One other thing to consider is that the Engine comes in several parts that are sprayed silver/aluminium so if you change the color of one part then the the others will need respraying too so the colors matchBlink Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ModelMania
#8 Posted : 16 September 2016 21:09:01

Groups:

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin One other thing to consider is that the Engine comes in several parts that are sprayed silver/aluminium so if you change the color of one part then the the others will need respraying too so the colors matchBlink Cool

Which MetalMech has already stated himself in his post #4? BigGrin Flapper

Kev Smile

arpurchase
#9 Posted : 16 September 2016 22:39:00

BigGrin Hi Kev

I see no harm in repeating that the consequences of painting one part could lead to more work to keep continuity in a buildBigGrin Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper .

Best regards

AndyBigGrin Cool

Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Metal Mech
#10 Posted : 17 September 2016 01:49:38

Thanks for all the respons. If it's gonna pretty much be hidden once all parts are attached I am just not gonna worry about it.

DeAgostini kit builds:

70 Coupe
#11 Posted : 17 September 2016 13:33:50

Just been looking at my engine with all the aforementioned parts assembled and the area in question is in quite a large shadow, I think you'd have to be hyper observant and get a magnifying glass out to spot the mark. BigGrin
Hope this helps.
Tony
Metal Mech
#12 Posted : 18 September 2016 17:39:49

70 Coupe wrote:
Just been looking at my engine with all the aforementioned parts assembled and the area in question is in quite a large shadow, I think you'd have to be hyper observant and get a magnifying glass out to spot the mark. BigGrin
Hope this helps.
Tony

Much appreciated thanks.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Eagle
#13 Posted : 19 September 2016 14:24:35

Red Medal: Red Medal

Request a replacement; this is an expensive subscription, so if it bothers you have them send you another piece.
Metal Mech
#14 Posted : 20 September 2016 13:43:04

Eagle wrote:
Request a replacement; this is an expensive subscription, so if it bothers you have them send you another piece.

That's why I was asking. If the scuff was going to be highly visible when assembled I would ask for a replacement. If I won't notice it then it doesn't bother me and I can deal with it.

DeAgostini kit builds:

infidex
#15 Posted : 20 September 2016 15:42:16

If it bothers you now and it's not completely hidden, your going to continuously notice it even after built up, just because you know it's there. It's like painting a wall and messing up a tiny spot, nobody will ever see it but you will know it's there, you will see it, and it will bug you. If it was me, I would either swap it out, or as I read these thread, I would opt to paint all the metal/aluminum looking engine parts.
Current DeAgostini Model Space Builds:
Millennium Falcon; Sovereign of the Seas, Ford Mustang Shelby

Current "Other" Model Builds:
Bandai 1/12 C-3PO (Japan Import); Revell 1/48 X-Wing "Master Series"

On The Shelf Waiting to Be Started:
Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon "Master Series"; Bandai 1/12 Boba Fett; Bandai 1/72 Y-Wing Star Fighter; Bandai 1/72 A-Wing Starfighter