Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
DaveSea's Suzuki Hayabusa Build Options
DaveSea
#1 Posted : 22 September 2016 06:00:31

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi everyone,

I've been following your great blogs but haven't had a chance to post my work. I was concentrating on building and improving my Lambo Countach model (see my post under the L.C. section) and with business and family commitments I don't have the time to maintain more than one detailed blog. I am also building all three bikes available through DeAgostini. I must say, I think their bike models are but far the most amazing of all their wonderful partwork kits. The quality is so superb I can’t even scratch my superdetailing itch (as I did for the Countach)! I hope DeAgostini makes more bike models. I am planning to get the Pocher Ducati Panigale kit but the quality doesn’t seem to be as high, will require much more custom work to bring the model to proper glory it deserves.

For the Suzuki Hayabusa, I only painted a couple engine parts to match the pictures, and followed a few tips from Nem’s build (amazing build, Nem!) for proper wiring, and that’s it. I don’t have Nem’s courage to attempt repainting the panels but I like the model’s colors and will just use carnauba wax mix to shine up the panels.

I am on stage 18 already so getting there! I will post some pics soon of my progress to date.
Completed Building Walter Wolf's Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, Honda CB750.
Planning to Build Easy Rider Bike, Valentino Rossi's Yamaha YZR-M1
DaveSea
#2 Posted : 22 September 2016 06:01:52

As is my practice, I try to add some personal touches to the finished model.

For the Hayabusa, I made a set of paper paraphernalia in 1/4 scale:

1) Original poster and magazine print ads;
2) Original owner’s manual;
3) Original service manual.

I couldn’t reproduce them with all pages because they would be too thick in scale (superthin paper will be needed) but I did reproduce the covers in colors and a lot of pages from the beginning, middle and end, so when you open them up they look like real miniature manuals.

I had also found a cool looking Italian team racing helmet in 1/5 scale on eBay; it’s slightly smaller than our bike’s 1/4 scale but I don’t think it will be too noticeable and will complement the model nicely. I will post pictures when it arrives (from Portugal).

DaveSea attached the following image(s):
Suzuki (1).jpg
Suzuki (2).jpg
Suzuki (3).jpg
Completed Building Walter Wolf's Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, Honda CB750.
Nemesis
#3 Posted : 22 September 2016 07:38:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice touch! Being a Busa owner I have all the original paperwork in full size.BigGrin
jaws062666
#4 Posted : 22 September 2016 11:23:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nemesis wrote:
Nice touch! Being a Busa owner I have all the original paperwork in full size.BigGrin

I have a question. The reflectors on the front fender were supposed to have spacers provided in shipment 13 to allow the shock to go down without rubbing them. They did not come in my parts pack. I had customer service resend me the pack and still no spacers. My question is did you receive and use the spacers for your build?
My current builds: The Millennium Falcon, Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, Ford Mustang Shelby
Spal
#5 Posted : 22 September 2016 13:48:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

jaws062666 wrote:
Nemesis wrote:

I have a question. The reflectors on the front fender were supposed to have spacers provided in shipment 13 to allow the shock to go down without rubbing them. They did not come in my parts pack. I had customer service resend me the pack and still no spacers. My question is did you receive and use the spacers for your build?

Hi jaws,

I asked the same question at pack 13, have a look at the link for the answer to your question.

http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=15939

Al
jaws062666
#6 Posted : 22 September 2016 14:53:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Spal wrote:
jaws062666 wrote:
Nemesis wrote:

Hi jaws,

I asked the same question at pack 13, have a look at the link for the answer to your question.

http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=15939

Al

That is very odd because it shows the spacers in my parts list and there is the inset pic that tells you how to install them.
My current builds: The Millennium Falcon, Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, Ford Mustang Shelby
davetwin
#7 Posted : 22 September 2016 15:17:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really nice touch Dave Cool I really love the extras that you've added ThumpUp
DaveSea
#8 Posted : 24 September 2016 18:24:56

Thanks, gents! Exras make all the difference!

Answering to jaws 062666: never go the spacers either but they don't seem to matter. It's not like we are gonna ride it :-)
DaveSea
#9 Posted : 14 November 2016 02:23:43

Pack 18, Stage 58. Installed the wiring and assembled the base.
SH (1).jpg
DaveSea
#10 Posted : 14 November 2016 02:26:58

Stage 59. Put together gearshift/footrest assembly, attached torque link, and assembled exhaust pipes.

Fitting them to the engine block took some time, they just wouldn't stay in place!
SH (2).jpg
SH (3).jpg
SH (4).jpg
SH (5).jpg
DaveSea
#11 Posted : 14 November 2016 02:29:17

Stage 60. Started to assemble the frame taking care to properly align bridge C (took some tries).
SH (6).jpg
SH (7).jpg
DaveSea
#12 Posted : 14 November 2016 02:38:40

Pack 19, Stage 61. Inserted the connector and attached radiator to the engine block; careful aligning is a must and fitting all those pipes took some trying (used superglue to secure their ends in place). Painted the silver part of the radiator pipe black and created a supporting brace for it from black bead wire, to match the pictures.
SH (8).jpg
SH (9).jpg
SH (10).jpg
SH (11).jpg
DaveSea
#13 Posted : 14 November 2016 02:44:58

Stage 62. Inserted air intake joint (used drops of superglue for a better connection), positioned remaining bridges and installed left frame half taking care to align it properly. Installed pivot shaft and screwed in the frame in the appropriate places.
SH (12).jpg
SH (13).jpg
DaveSea
#14 Posted : 14 November 2016 02:47:51

Stage 63. Assembled air intake pipes. Fitted and screwed in LED board into the instrument panel and attached to the cowling brace.
SH (14).jpg
SH (15).jpg
DaveSea
#15 Posted : 14 November 2016 02:49:21

Installed sprocket cover; used incorrect screw length at first so it was kind of lose, then replaced with a shorter screw for a tight fit.
SH (16).jpg
DaveSea
#16 Posted : 14 November 2016 02:53:04

Stage 64. Tested the LEDs. Installed water bypass hose (took a few tries to align it properly). Installed gear cover and attached left front footrest.

Attached gearshift link rod (I had replaced the plastic rod with a piece of polished steel nail with its head removed; it looks much more realistic).

Modified wiring on the engine using silicone tubing and bead wire; it looks a lot better than the gray plastic insert.
SH (17).jpg
SH (18).jpg
SH (19).jpg
SH (20).jpg
DaveSea
#17 Posted : 14 November 2016 02:59:37

Pack 20, Stage 65. Attached to the footrest/break cylinder assembly rear reservoir tank hose, stop lamp switch and rear brake hose. Followed Nemesis's blog and pictures of the real bike to place them properly and painted connectors in more realistic colors (dark grey and dark brass). Replaced rear reservoir tank hose with a thicker and more real looking silicone tubing.
SH (21).jpg
SH (22).jpg
SH (23).jpg
SH (24).jpg
SH (25).jpg
DaveSea
#18 Posted : 14 November 2016 03:04:13

Stage 66. Installed left & right indicator LED and headlight case with low and high beam LEDs. Installed horn.
SH (28).jpg
SH (26).jpg
DaveSea
#19 Posted : 14 November 2016 03:08:43

Stage 67. Installed radiator reservoir tank. Replaced hoses with silicone tubing for a more natural look.
SH (27).jpg
SH (30).jpg
SH (31).jpg
DaveSea
#20 Posted : 14 November 2016 03:13:41

Installed windshield (mine was a bit scratched so I used Novus plastic polishing system to remove scratches and bring extra shine). Installed indicator lenses.

I haven't decided yet if I will use gloss varnish on cowling and body panels; for now I just used automotive carnauba wax and it looks good!
SH (32).jpg
SH (33).jpg
SH (34).jpg