Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages 123>»
First Sherman in Battle! Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 27 September 2016 16:45:10

Groups:

2017 will herald the 75th anniversary of the first Sherman tank in battle!

The first American Sherman's in combat was the M4A1 variant that landed in North Africa in Nov 1942 during Operation Torch on the 8th Nov, although the British saw combat with the Sherman a month earlier at the Second Battle of El Alamein.

On 31 Aug 1940, the United States Army Ordnance Department submitted the M4 tank design as a potential replacement for the existing M3 tanks. It was approved on 18 Apr 1941 as the prototype promised a tank that was as capable as the successful German tanks. The first model was completed on 2 Sep 1941, and the design entered full production in Feb 1942, three months after the United States entered WW2.

During the war, the M4 tanks, now nicknamed "Sherman" by the British, served with the United States with its Army and Marine Corps, and also with several Allied nations, notably Britain and Canada, and with the Soviet forces. The first American Sherman tanks in combat were of the M4A1 variant that landed in North Africa in Nov 1942 during Operation Torch, although the British had already saw combat with them a month before at the Second Battle of El Alamein in Egypt. They were extremely effective with high top speed, adequate armor to stop smaller caliber anti-tank guns, and weapons capable of penetrating German armor. Through the Desert War, they slowly replaced their predecessor, the M3 Lee tanks, as the main medium tank of the United States Army. After the invasion of Normandy in Jun 1944, it was discovered that the 75-millimeter guns found in earlier Sherman tanks were ineffective against new German tank types, namely the Panther and Tiger models, and two new variants were produced, one with the new high velocity 76-millimeter M1 guns and the other with a 90-millimeter M3 guns. Despite the upgrades, however, the armament of Sherman tanks were still far inferior to the Panther tanks' 75-millimeter gun, only effective against Panther tanks at close range, which led to the high loss rate at the start of the Normandy Campaign. In Jul 1944, the hypervelocity armor piercing (HVAP) ammunition entered mass production as M93 and became the standard armor piercing ammunition, which eased the situation slightly, but limited production meant only tank destroyer units received them. By the end of the European War, half of the US Army tanks in this theater were M4 Sherman tanks.

While Americans developed more lethal rounds to improve the M4 Sherman tanks, the British took a different approach. Royal Tank Regiment Major George Brighty led an effort to modify certain batches of M4 Sherman tanks, particularly the M4 (Sherman I) and M4A4 (Sherman V) variants, so that they would carry the larger caliber 17-pounder guns. The end result were the Sherman Firefly tanks, which effectively became the most powerfully gunned Allied tanks of World War II, capable of dueling the feared German Panther and Tiger tanks. Sherman Firefly tanks were first used by British and Commonwealth units on 6 Jun 1944 at the Normandy landings, and were used until the end of the European War.

In the Pacific War, where tank battles were few and far in-between, the M4 Sherman tanks easily out-classed their Japanese counterparts. Unlike their North African and European counterparts, the Sherman tanks deployed to the Pacific often used high explosive rounds instead of armor piercing rounds; the decision was made due to the reason that the Japanese tanks were thinly-armored, and armor piercing rounds often went through the tank without detonating the explosives. The armor piercing rounds, though, remained effective against defensive fortifications. Rather unique in the Pacific theater was the deployment of Sherman tanks that were equipped with flamethrowers, which were seen in the European War but the usage was limited. The M4 Sherman design had a escape hatch at the bottom of the hull, originally placed to provide another route of escape should the tank become disabled. This hatch gained an alternative use in the Pacific War as a method of recovering the wounded as Japanese snipers frequently targeted Americans dispatched to treat them.

Notable weaknesses of the M4 Sherman tanks include the ease for earlier variants to catch fire when struck by enemy armor piercing rounds. Most tanks at the time ran on diesel, a safer and less flammable fuel than gasoline. The Sherman’s powerplant was a gasolene engine that, combined with the ammo on board, could transform the tank into an inferno after taking a hit. All it took was a German adversary like the awe-inspiring Tiger tank with its 88-millimeter gun. One round could punch through the Sherman’s comparatively thin armor. If they were lucky, the tank’s five crew might have seconds to escape before they burned alive.
Hence, the Sherman’s grim nickname - 'Ronson' (like the cigarette lighter), because “it lights up the first time, every time".

Despite this negative characteristic, the majority of Sherman tank losses were not attributed to duels with enemy vehicles; rather, they were more often lost to mines, aircraft, and infantry anti-tank weapons. They were also known for their difficulty when traversing across soft terrain, such as snow or mud, due to the narrow width. The Sherman was renowned for its mechanical reliability, owing to its standardized parts and quality construction on the assembly line. It was roomy, easily repaired, easy to drive, it should have been the ideal tank.

After the war, the US Army continued to employ Sherman tanks of the M4A3E8 variant, equipped with either 76-millimeter guns or 105-millimeter howitzers. They saw action in the Korean War despite new tank models had already entered service. During the M4 Sherman design's production life, over 50,000 units were built.

The place for all things Sherman: http://www.theshermantank.com/

As a tribute to one of the most famous tanks in history, Nemesis will be undertaking a Sherman build with full interior detail and crew.

He is also constucting the movie famous a Kelly's Heroes "Oddball" Sherman here:
http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=21856

Tomick attached the following image(s):
m4a4dracb.jpg
Nemesis
#2 Posted : 28 September 2016 16:17:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Thank you for the intro and the superb write up Tomick, just waiting for the postie to do his funky thang and I will get some pictures and info up on the kit and add ons I will be using. As a small hint the basic kit will be from Tasca, not one I have built before, but this is meant to be the Rolls of the Sherman kit world! BigGrin BigGrin
davetwin
#3 Posted : 28 September 2016 16:46:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nemesis wrote:
Thank you for the intro and the superb write up Tomick, just waiting for the postie to do his funky thang and I will get some pictures and info up on the kit and add ons I will be using. As a small hint the basic kit will be from Tasca, not one I have built before, but this is meant to be the Rolls of the Sherman kit world! BigGrin BigGrin

There was me wondering if it was going to be the 1/6 scale version LOL LOL
Tomick
#4 Posted : 28 September 2016 17:08:25

Groups:

The 1/6 has no interior or engine, so we've gone for a 1/35 "full monte" to do it justice Drool
ModelMania
#5 Posted : 28 September 2016 18:25:47

Groups:

This'll be a very cool build Daran and I've heard some very glowing comments about the Tasca Shermans, just about the best there is by all accounts?

Looking forward to your build mate. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Nemesis
#6 Posted : 28 September 2016 18:30:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

davetwin wrote:
Nemesis wrote:

There was me wondering if it was going to be the 1/6 scale version LOL LOL

Noooo I have other plans for that one!!LOL BigGrin
Tomick
#7 Posted : 06 October 2016 14:39:47

Groups:

The Tasca brand is now owned by 'Asuka Model' who are still using the original Tasca kit refs and content but are using new box art, (the PE still has Tasca stamped on it Laugh ).

Our Sherman build is the re-branded Asuka Model M4A1 mid prod Sherman kit ref 35-010. A kit review (of the Tasca boxed version) can be found here https://www.perthmilitar...s/tasca/tasca35010.html the Asuka release is identical.
Tomick attached the following image(s):
IMG_9757.JPG
Nemesis
#8 Posted : 06 October 2016 17:52:39

Well from what I have discovered from the model world is Tasca were bought out by Asuka lock stock and barrel. The kits are exactly the same as they use the original Tasca moulds, so the quality is the same. And it seems Asuka have some really nice kits in the pipeline!Drool BigGrin
Gandale
#9 Posted : 06 October 2016 22:08:35

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Have a feeling this is going to be another special from you Nem, good luck with it.... Look forward to following your progress.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Nemesis
#10 Posted : 06 October 2016 22:48:20

Gandale wrote:
Have a feeling this is going to be another special from you Nem, good luck with it.... Look forward to following your progress.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan, the kit will have every add on that can be found (sure I saw a kitchen sink conversion), so it should be as detailed as possible and hopefully I can give the Sherman a top drawer 75th Anniversary.BigGrin

ModelMania wrote:
This'll be a very cool build Daran and I've heard some very glowing comments about the Tasca Shermans, just about the best there is by all accounts?

Kev Smile

Hello Kev, yes by all accounts this kit is the best Sherman on the market. I have read all the reviews and it comes out top everytime. And the nice thing is all the aftermarket stuff for the Tamiya kit drops in with no problem, so plenty of choices for interior and exterior. BigGrin
pemberg
#11 Posted : 07 October 2016 08:39:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I always did like the Sherman, will be watching this one with great interest.
Graeme
ModelMania
#12 Posted : 07 October 2016 08:57:03

Groups:

Nemesis wrote:

ModelMania wrote:

Kev Smile

Hello Kev, yes by all accounts this kit is the best Sherman on the market. I have read all the reviews and it comes out top everytime. And the nice thing is all the aftermarket stuff for the Tamiya kit drops in with no problem, so plenty of choices for interior and exterior. BigGrin

Sounds like it is going to be a fabulously detailed model when you're finished Daran. Interesting to know that the Tamiya bits just drop straight in and yes, a multitude of choices because of it!! Cool

Looking forward to this one my friend, I'm sure you'll make a cracking job of it!! ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Nemesis
#13 Posted : 12 October 2016 20:17:33

We are off!! All the kit turned up today. A few pictures of all the boxes and shells. I will review each box of parts as I get to them as there is quite a few parts to show!
Nemesis attached the following image(s):
S1.jpg
S2.jpg
S3.jpg
S4.jpg
S5.jpg
ModelMania
#14 Posted : 12 October 2016 20:26:43

Groups:

Looks a very nice collection of parts Daran and should build into a very detailed model. Cool ThumpUp

Good luck with the build mate and have fun. ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Tomick
#15 Posted : 12 October 2016 21:25:44

Groups:

Should keep you busy for a couple of days Laugh LOL
Nemesis
#16 Posted : 12 October 2016 22:42:17

Tomick wrote:
Should keep you busy for a couple of days Laugh LOL

Yeah should pass a few hours!!LOL
Nemesis
#17 Posted : 13 October 2016 18:23:44

Well I started looking through all the boxes and all the lovely resin upgrades just to get an idea of what I was going to do, when one thing led to another and the next thing I know I had made a start!!LOL LOL

First up was to rid the floor of any lumps and bumps and assemble the lower hull main components, The rear of the engine bay is held in place with masking tape and will not be properly fixed until I am 100% happy with the engine bay. I am using two different resin kits for the engine and interior so there was no point spending time adding externals when it is going to be dismantled more times than an F1 car!LOL BigGrin

I am using Tank Workshops engine bay and CMK compartment and turret, and the two are not compatible, so the next job was to make them! I cut down and sanded as thin as I needed the TWS engine bay firewall section to add to the back of the CMK firewall so I could have the details I wanted. At the moment everything you see is dry fit apart from the actual hull assembly. It was a lot of work to get to this point but it was time well spent as I have the engine bay where I want it and it should look really good when done, and the CMK interior will now all match up with the mods on the firewall. I am a happy modeler, now I need a nap!LOL BigGrin
Nemesis attached the following image(s):
S6.jpg
S7.jpg
S8.jpg
S9.jpg
S10.jpg
S11.jpg
S12.jpg
S13.jpg
S14.jpg
Tomick
#18 Posted : 13 October 2016 18:40:10

Groups:

Great start, that engine looks awesome Cool
arpurchase
#19 Posted : 13 October 2016 18:40:53

BigGrin Very nice start and that engine looks great in situCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Nemesis
#20 Posted : 13 October 2016 18:56:57

Thanks for the comments, I am impressed with the detail on the resin kits, very crisp, and really easy to remove the casting blocks. Once the engine is complete it will really look the business. BigGrin