Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

12 Pages «<89101112>
Gils HMS Victory - Cross Section Build Options
GilShapley
#181 Posted : 26 November 2017 19:10:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Issue 148

With the house move earlier this year my model building time has been sporadic, lack of a workshop and other things around the new house that needed sorting has limited my time.

With only three issues left I am now making an effort to complete this build.

I will be displaying this cutout in the same display case as my model of the Victory so I will be making some changed to the build as I want the cutout to mirror my build of the Victory.

Making and attaching the quarter deck openings. I originally followed the instructions but as stated I want this cutout to look like the "Vic". That meant adding the gratings after I had glued the openings in place.

Planking the quarter deck, As with the lower decks just follow the instructions.
My method of holding the planks in place for this build is to use 9X9 mil lengths of batten which I have cut to the same length of the planks. These I place over the planking once glued in place and use small clamps on each end to hold in place until the glue has dried. The batten will hold three planks side by side. I do this as I have found that the pin method can split the ply frames.

Planking the bulwarks - No issues here just follow the instrctions

Stain the deck and add the mast collar. The mast collar may need some sanding to get a good fit

Cockpit framing and rail - Time and patience required here, lots of fiddly bits. Just be careful with the razor saw when cutting the shallow groves

Issue 149

Finishing the bulwarks - The instructions here are clear and straight forward

Making the timberheads - I carved all the timbers heads from one piece of 4 X 5 and then cut out the individual timberheads. Found it easier to hold the longer length of wood BigGrin

Pinrails and kevels - More fiddly work but after building the Victory I was prepared/experienced for the task

Main mast pinrails - I found it easier to construct and stain the pinrail before gluing it to the deck. I sprayed the belaying pins and found the fit snug enough so that no glue was necessary

Moving on to 150 next (Watch this space)

GilShapley attached the following image(s):
No75.jpg
No76.jpg
No77.jpg
No78.jpg
No79.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
birdaj2
#182 Posted : 26 November 2017 19:20:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That looks really nice.

Especially like your choice of deck colour.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
delboy271155
#183 Posted : 26 November 2017 20:05:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

All looking very good Gil.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Markwarren
#184 Posted : 26 November 2017 21:06:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

All looking very good, coming on very nicely.

Mark
Gandale
#185 Posted : 27 November 2017 00:37:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

All looking good, really nice work....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
darbyvet
#186 Posted : 27 November 2017 01:49:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Lovely work as usual Gil

Carl

Spal
#187 Posted : 27 November 2017 18:01:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

More superb work from you GilCool a fine job.

Al
magpie1832
#188 Posted : 27 November 2017 23:20:26

Great work Gil, Looks awesome. Coming along just nicely.

Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

ian smith
#189 Posted : 01 December 2017 16:03:19

Hi Gil.
looking fantastic. very neat build.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
GilShapley
#190 Posted : 07 December 2017 22:36:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Issue 150 -So Far

Adding mouldings and scrolls -

My heated plank bender makes the shaping of the scroll work straight forward. Had a problem with the small 2mm disk. The piece of dowel i had, kept splitting when I tried to cut a small piece so plan B was to use a piece of 2mm square strip and shape this with sand paper, cut a length longer than is needed and glue it to the 5mm disk once the glue has dried sand down to the required length

Entry ports - The black paint is straight forward, prime then spray with black paint. Now the fun part, a steady hand and a fine paint brush. I found I got a better result with using the side of the brush rather than the point.

Side ladders- Much the same as when I built the Victory

Whilst waiting for the glue to dry I moved on to some of the parts that needed building prior to attaching to the model.

The full size model of the Victory has boarding pikes on the main mast and I will be adding these to the cutout (see pictures)

Chainwales - I added two pins to the edge that will be glued to the model to add additional strength and hold the piece in place whilst the glue dries. It is my intention to display this model in the same case that I built for the Victory so I will make some minor changes so that the two models are similar. So I will not be painting the deadeyes also I have added two blocks to the eyebolts on the chainwales.

Gun port Lids - Only four to make. Could not find any 2 X 6mm so I had to make up the required size by glueing 2 X 5mm with a 2 X 2mm in the middle and then sanding smooth to make the lids. Drill the cast hinges as shown BUT be careful, they are fragile. These will be added one the hull has been painted.

Painting the hull will be my next Job. It is my intention to paint the lower hull with the same copper paint I used on the Victory

The provided stand I have been using to support the model whilst working on the construction. For display purposes I have made a new stand from Oak, The same colour as the display case. I used the provided stand parts as a template.
No83.jpg
No81.jpg
No82.jpg
No80.jpg
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
darbyvet
#191 Posted : 07 December 2017 22:46:25

Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Incredibly neat as always Gil.Will be a stunner once finished

Carl

Spal
#192 Posted : 08 December 2017 01:27:06

Lovely work Gil Cool the new stand looks great.

Al
Gandale
#193 Posted : 08 December 2017 09:15:09

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking really good, very well done Gil....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#194 Posted : 08 December 2017 12:31:56

Just been admiring your build pictures again.

You have made everything so precise with the fit - it looks brilliant.

Especially like your handmade stand which is a very nice touch.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
pemberg
#195 Posted : 08 December 2017 12:37:47

Great job Gil, very neat. Love the stand.

Graeme
GilShapley
#196 Posted : 08 December 2017 18:16:40

Minor problem with the chainwales. The supports are very brittle and after some damage to those provided I decided to make my own.

I used a length of 2mm brass tubing from my "spares" stock.

Cut off the required length and flatten the ends using pliers. Round off the ends with a file or dremel

drill a hole in each flattened end and paint black.

Being brass these are easier to adjust without breaking

Jobs a goodun

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
No84.jpg
delboy271155
#197 Posted : 08 December 2017 19:25:15

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looking good as always Gil.BigGrin

Nice tip on the support brackets as well.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#198 Posted : 08 December 2017 23:41:11

Very nice fix on the support brackets, very well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#199 Posted : 09 December 2017 00:40:29

Nice bit of improvising. Sometimes we get dodgy parts and making our own replacements is part of the enjoyment we have in the hobby.
Your doing a great job.

Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

GilShapley
#200 Posted : 20 December 2017 16:58:12

The Voyage Continues ( Pardon the Pun)

Time to paint the hull, Two coats to give a good cover. I intend to paint the lower part of the hull with the copper paint I have left over from my Victory Build, but will leave this until last.

The masking up did take longer than I thought and as always there was some fine tuning once the tape was removed, but I am pleased with the result so far.

The chainwales where then added. I added two blocks to each side to the rigging eyebolts rather than leave just the eyebolts showing. As I will be putting this in the same display case as my victory I am trying to make it look similar so I will not be painting the deadeyes. When adding the chains to the underside of the chainwales I found it easier to bend the lower end of the chain before attatching it to the hull (picture 23 in the build instructions) These I have painted black

To Do :-

Gun Ports - These I have made and will be one of my next jobs
Companion Way Ladder :- Already Fitted
Finishing the Cross section - To do but I want to make sure the painting is OK
Adding the Hammock Cranes and Netting :- Next Job, already painted Black
Hammock Rolls :- Only 30 to make !!!!. To help I have made a simple jig. Take a length of dowel (4mm thick) and place in your vice. Then wrap a square of the hammock material around the dowel and peg in place. This will hold the hammock and give two hands to work with. Rather than just wrap the thread around the roll I use a stitch similar to a blanket stitch which I think give a better finish/look.
nO85.jpg
nO86.jpg
No87.jpg
No88.jpg
No89.jpg