Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

12 Pages <1234>»
Gils HMS Victory - Cross Section Build Options
ian smith
#21 Posted : 07 October 2016 13:32:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Gil.
Great start to your cross section.
Look forward to seeing your progress.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
GilShapley
#22 Posted : 07 October 2016 14:57:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Issue 124 begins the outer planking.

The rib framework is very fragile at this stage, I have taped the fret across the top as suggested to help keep the structure square. In order to provide a stable base whilst adding the lower planks I have routed a channel in a piece of 3X2 to accommodate the keelson. I will then carefully clamp the framework to the "jig" and add the lower planks to both sides of the hull.

GilShapley attached the following image(s):
No6.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
stevie_o
#23 Posted : 07 October 2016 15:02:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

GilShapley
#24 Posted : 11 October 2016 09:52:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Issue 124 - Contd

Planking - added up to the top of ribs 3 and 7 (The bottom of the lower guns ports)

Have done some sanding of the edges of the planking but will need to finish this part.

The frame is fragile at the start of this part of the build and as suggested I taped one of the frets across the top to add support. In addition I also used the supplied rib spacers as additional support for the ribs as I added the planking, moving them up the ribs as the planking progressed. This not only added some additional support but also made sure the rib spacing was maintained.

One near disaster, I left the partially planked frame in the conservatory (my temporary workshop). Upon my return I found that the tape across the top of the frame had come unstuck and the frame had opened up like a flower in the sunshine.
A few minutes of panic then I replaced the supporting fret back onto the frame and held it in place with elastic bands which have pulled the framework back into shape

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
No7.jpg
No8.jpg
No9.jpg
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
magpie1832
#25 Posted : 11 October 2016 11:00:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice update Gil. Your doing a nice job of her. When you start planking around the gunports be mindful of the glue on the back of the planks. As there are some framing to install later that sit flush with the inside of the planks.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Spal
#26 Posted : 11 October 2016 15:35:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good work on the neat planking, she's looking well Cool

Al
delboy271155
#27 Posted : 11 October 2016 18:09:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Nice progress.

WTG

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Martyn Ingram
#28 Posted : 11 October 2016 18:15:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice job Gil Cool looking forward to seeing your your next update Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#29 Posted : 11 October 2016 21:51:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking sweet, very nice work indeed....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#30 Posted : 12 October 2016 13:25:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good job with the planking Gill, it's look nice and neat Cool

It's really clever how they use the fret to add support to the frames, they sure to look delicate
stevie_o
#31 Posted : 12 October 2016 16:34:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

pemberg
#32 Posted : 12 October 2016 17:55:13

Great job on the planking, she's coming along nicely.
Graeme
darbyvet
#33 Posted : 12 October 2016 18:34:02

As usual top notch work from Gil.Really enjoying watching this build my friend.

ThumpUp ThumpUp
GilShapley
#34 Posted : 12 October 2016 20:22:55

Many thanks for the positive feedback.

I have nearly completed the internal planking in issue 125 ,pictures to follow shortly

GilShapley
#35 Posted : 13 October 2016 10:57:12

Whist waiting for the glue to harden before I sand the planks decided to make my own display stand. Will use the stand provided to support the model during construction but will display it on my the stand I have made.

Used some pieces of Oak I had left over from some display cabinets I have previously made.I used the ply pieces provided for the stand as a template. I have not yet glued the pieces together in case there is a need to fine tune the size once the model is complete

The piece of blue felt will be used to line the top edge of the stand to protect the painted hull

Stand.jpg
Martyn Ingram
#36 Posted : 13 October 2016 11:27:22

BigGrin Very nicely done with the stand lovely job Gil

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Spal
#37 Posted : 13 October 2016 14:46:01

That's a great looking stand Gil and more robust than the original Cool

Al
GilShapley
#38 Posted : 13 October 2016 17:21:00

Issue 126 now complete onto 127

Some more exterior planking and starting on the fittings with the mast step.

Looking forward to getting stuck into the details of the interior of the various decks

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
No10.jpg
arpurchase
#39 Posted : 13 October 2016 17:58:14

BigGrin Very nice work there gilDrool Drool Drool Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#40 Posted : 13 October 2016 19:27:20

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking great Gil, love the build stand....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan