Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

12 Pages <12345>»
Gils HMS Victory - Cross Section Build Options
magpie1832
#41 Posted : 13 October 2016 23:10:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Excellent work Gil. Looking amazing. Drool Drool
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

GilShapley
#42 Posted : 16 October 2016 12:19:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Issue 126 exterior planking now completed and sanded.

One thing I have noticed apart from the variation in colour of the planking,not a problem for me as I will be painting mine the same colour scheme as my Victory model, is that the planks do vary in thickness so some sorting was required.

Issue 127 next, The Mast, pump and shot lockers. I intend to replace the provided shot with some black cannon balls, not ssure how many I will need but they are readily available from CMB in various sizes

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
GilShapley attached the following image(s):
No11.jpg
No12.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
birdaj2
#43 Posted : 16 October 2016 13:19:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

looking very nice indeed.

hope the next phase of your build goes well.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Spal
#44 Posted : 16 October 2016 18:29:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A great job Gil, nice clean build.

Al
GilShapley
#45 Posted : 19 October 2016 14:41:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Issue 128

Completing the hold planking

This was straight forward, just be careful to make sure the two notched planks are cut to mirror each other. Step number 4 refers

Fitting the riders. I decided to use a slightly different method here. Instead of making up two complete assemblies and then gluing them together to make one rider I glues the component pairs together then constructed the riders with these. Found this easier to handle and had no problems with lining up the sections.

Issue 129

Adding the false keel. Here I glued the two lengths of 1.5 X 8 mm together and when set attached them to the keel.
The stand I had already completed as I am using this to support the Cross Section during the build as I have made my own stand to display the finished model

Issue 130 next
No14.jpg
No15.jpg
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
Gandale
#46 Posted : 19 October 2016 15:34:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Gil, very neat and tidy work.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
darbyvet
#47 Posted : 19 October 2016 15:42:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Top notch woodworking as usual Gil

Carl

michael.rolph
#48 Posted : 19 October 2016 16:12:32

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great progress Gil

I've just ordered this kit, I'm planning on using it for next years build of the year
Spal
#49 Posted : 19 October 2016 17:20:49

Great update Gil, she's looking good Cool

Al
ian smith
#50 Posted : 20 October 2016 12:19:56

Hi Gil.
Great looking cross section.
Look forward to seeing your progress.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Tomick
#51 Posted : 20 October 2016 12:40:18

Groups:

The good thing about this kit is that its very informative of how the real hull was constructed as it closely follows the real thing.

Looking great, keep up the good work Cool
GilShapley
#52 Posted : 20 October 2016 13:39:41

Thanks for the feedback folks. In the interest of authenticity anyone know where I can get 1:72 scale ships rats to put in the lower deck?

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
darbyvet
#53 Posted : 20 October 2016 14:52:31

Tomick wrote:
The good thing about this kit is that its very informative of how the real hull was constructed as it closely follows the real thing.

Looking great, keep up the good work Cool

Very true.I have Corels HMS Victory cross section and the hull section is one solid piece Angry Angry Angry

Carl
tf64
#54 Posted : 24 October 2016 20:29:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gill,

Your build is looking very good, bet you are enjoying this one.

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

GilShapley
#55 Posted : 27 October 2016 15:26:58

Issue 130 - Cutting the chain pump opening, what can I say just make sure you align the port and starboard correctly as there is a difference in the alignment.

In this stage we complete the pump well, after stainingthe interior the outside of the well is planked with oak veneer. I decided it was easier to add the veneer before installing the well in the model, there is a lot of trimming and the veneer is thin and fragile, in fact I was able to trim the straight edges with a pair of sharp scissors and finish off with fine sand paper

Issue 131

I have opted for the open version of the shot locker and am waiting for some black steel cannon balls to arrive to complete this part. In addition I added some "bolts" to the hinged lids of the shot locker. Just a matter of using some of the pins I had left over from my Victory build, cut down to a few mil and after some careful drilling inserted into the hinge holes.

The pump well door was next. With the pump well still not in situ this was an easy addition.

The Hold Platforms come next. Some careful trimming required here to ensure a good fit against the hull. Once stained with the dark oak they can be installed. I added these platforms before the pump well as it gave me more room to work and I could ensure both platform where level.

The well was then added.

Just the orlop beams to add to complete issue 131. Waiting for the stain to dry

No16.jpg
No17.jpg
No19.jpg
No20.jpg
darbyvet
#56 Posted : 27 October 2016 15:47:07

Beautiful woodworking as always Gil.

Carl

Spal
#57 Posted : 27 October 2016 17:01:52

Looking good Gil, great idea to cover the Pump well before installation.

Al
delboy271155
#58 Posted : 27 October 2016 19:28:21

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

That`s good work, especially like the shot locker hinges.

Neat little addition.Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Mo
#59 Posted : 27 October 2016 19:37:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Good bit of work going on here.

Mo.
Mo
Martyn Ingram
#60 Posted : 27 October 2016 19:59:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin very nicely done Gil love the shot locker Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe