Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

12 Pages «<45678>»
Gils HMS Victory - Cross Section Build Options
GilShapley
#101 Posted : 29 November 2016 22:10:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Issue 136 - Making the Hammocks

It is at this point a decision as to whether to install the hammocks on the Orlop deck or not. I have decided Yes, there are 10 in all and they are small and fiddly to make (No surprise there then). After some thought this is my thoughts on the process.

1) I have photo copied the hammock pattern and used this to make a thick card template.
2) The fabric supplied has had a good coat of diluted PVA and left overnight to dry. The end product feels like canvas
3) Using a sharp (new blade) and steel rule I cut several strips of the "canvas" the same width as the Pattern. These where then cut to the required length and using the pattern cut to the shape required. So far so good
4) This is where I strayed from the suggested plan. Cutting several former's from some pine strips, I used these and some clamps to bend the patterns created in step 3 to the required shape. This was a two step process, bending the sides first followed by the ends.Because the PVA has made the material stiffer it hold the shape of the former which should make it easier to glue together

The next step is to glue the hammocks inserting the .5mm brass wire at that time, followed by adding the support ropes to be able to sling the hammocks. Wish me luck
GilShapley attached the following image(s):
No33.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
delboy271155
#102 Posted : 29 November 2016 22:27:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Wishing you luck, but hey looks like a good plan.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Looking forward to the end result.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Martyn Ingram
#103 Posted : 29 November 2016 22:47:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Definitely a man with a plan looking forward to seeing your next update Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#104 Posted : 29 November 2016 22:53:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nicely thought out, look forward to seeing how it all looks when fitted.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Garth
#105 Posted : 30 November 2016 05:57:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Gil,
Great idea on the hammocks. Thanks for sharing.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
z8000783
#106 Posted : 30 November 2016 08:25:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Great stuff, Gill.

Just wondering if we could use this method on the sales of the Victory to give them some shape.
birdaj2
#107 Posted : 30 November 2016 17:44:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really neat build and some very smart ideas you have come up with to help the build along.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
GilShapley
#108 Posted : 30 November 2016 22:04:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Stage 2 of the hammock build

Having cut out the patterns of the 10 hammocks the next step is to glue

I did this in two stages :-

1) Using the former's I mentioned in my previous post to support and help maintain the required shape I glued the ends to the sides using the tabs created when cutting the basic pattern. I used the PVA glue as suggested in the build instructions. I found that by using my former's this helped to support the basic shape whilst applying the glue. Leave on the former for a short period and once the glue is holding remove and leave to dry.

2) Adding the support wire to each end of the hammock.
I made a small jig to hold the hammock and help retain its shape whilst gluing the wire in place. The jig supported the hammock whilst I applied the glue and folded the end over to trap the wire.

I will leave them to dry overnight. The next step is to attach the two threads

No35.jpg
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
Gandale
#109 Posted : 01 December 2016 00:50:31

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Another very nice update Gil, very well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
pemberg
#110 Posted : 01 December 2016 12:06:59

Great job. The formers are a good idea and seem to have worked well.
Graeme
Spal
#111 Posted : 01 December 2016 17:11:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That's a great idea Gil and seems to have turned out well BigGrin

Al
GilShapley
#112 Posted : 08 December 2016 18:45:45

This was one of those I started so I WILL FINISH jobs. Took a bit longer than I thought, having to walk away leave for a while or end up throwing the lot out the window (I think we have all been there)

Still I now have 10 completed hammocks (Midshipmen for the use of) These will be stored away safe until later in the build as they will not be fitted yet

Picture attached
No36.jpg
delboy271155
#113 Posted : 08 December 2016 18:49:58

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Your patience has certainly paid off Gil. BigGrin

They look real good.

Cool Love Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Martyn Ingram
#114 Posted : 08 December 2016 18:53:03

BigGrin Well done Gil very nicely done Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#115 Posted : 08 December 2016 19:55:48

Looks great Gil, very well done.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
ian smith
#116 Posted : 15 December 2016 15:48:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

HI Gil.
The hammocks look great well done, nice touch.
Ian Cool Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
GilShapley
#117 Posted : 15 December 2016 19:37:52

Issues 136 and 137

Adding the hammock support bars - I decided to use some 2mm square strips of wood I had left over from a previous build. This gave me a flat side to glue to the deck beams and I rounded off the other side to give the same effect as the dowel supplied. This gave me more room to cut the notches for the hammock threads and make it easier to thread them through when hanging the hammocks.

The knee reinforcements have been painted black and installed where required.Just make sure you get them the right way round

Seamans Chests have been placed against the bulwarks

I have stained some of the buckets, painted the black bands and added handles. Three have been placed at random on the orlop deck

All the 10 hammocks have been installed, took a while as they are fiddly to fit

The Pump Columns are next. These I have glued and painted white with the black bands the next step.

More to follow as I progress

No37.jpg
No38.jpg
No39.jpg
No40.jpg
No41.jpg
darbyvet
#118 Posted : 15 December 2016 19:52:35

Meticulous and neat as always Gil

Carl

Martyn Ingram
#119 Posted : 15 December 2016 20:05:27

BigGrin Brilliant work Gil lovely job Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
magpie1832
#120 Posted : 15 December 2016 22:07:01

Very nice update Gil. Your doing a great job. 👍
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.