Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

12 Pages «<56789>»
Gils HMS Victory - Cross Section Build Options
Gandale
#121 Posted : 16 December 2016 00:01:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautiful work and some really nice touches being applied.... Looks great....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
pemberg
#122 Posted : 16 December 2016 10:09:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Looking good, great work.
Graeme
GilShapley
#123 Posted : 18 December 2016 11:32:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Issue 137 Cont'd

Fitting the pump columns. Some minor adjustments need as the slots into which the chain pump assembly fit where a bit tight.

Adding the beams was no problem, but gluing the chain pump assembly to these beams was a tad fiddly, there is not a lot of room.

I had a minor problem with the port side elm tree pump fitting as it would not locate in the recess in the hold below. As per the instructions I filed the beam so that the pump would stand upright and to ensure the pump would stay in position I rounded off the end of the pump so that it would fit into the recess. I think I may have been too cautious when drilling the recess and left it too shallow, but the rounding off seems to have solved the minor problem.

Added the grating and companionway frame

Now onto issue 138 planking the lower gun deck, some guns to make and the chain pump heads.

GilShapley attached the following image(s):
No43.jpg
No44.jpg
No45.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
GilShapley
#124 Posted : 24 December 2016 18:08:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Issue 138

Planking the Lower gun deck
Making the 32 Pounders
Making the chain pump heads

Plenty of planks supplied to cover the gun deck. Straight forward until you get to the pump columns where it can get fiddly. Also be careful around the companion way and grill as these are easy to damage. The centre section of the deck forms a raised platform, I decided it would be easier to construct the whole platform as a single piece and glue in place once completed. The made it easier to trim the planks and fit the planks around the mast. I planked the whole platform and cutout the hole for the mast once the glue had dried. Test fit the platform to ensure the mast is at the required 40mm from the edge of the grating. As I could remove the platform any fine tuning was straight forward. Once the fitting was correct glued into place and the whole deck was stained.

The construction of the 32 pounders is similar to that for the Victory build, except that the barrels require painting and the addition of a thimble. The carriage has wooden axles and wheels which make these look more like the full size guns on the victory. The only addition I may make is to add Tampions the the muzzle of the guns.

The chain pump heads are straight forward the only thing to note is that the two centre parts are not symetrical so make sure you have them the right way round before you glue (Note to self read the instructions)

Pictures attached

No46.jpg
No47.jpg
No48.jpg
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
Martyn Ingram
#125 Posted : 24 December 2016 18:42:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Stunning work Gill brilliant update Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Spal
#126 Posted : 24 December 2016 20:48:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fabulous work Gil ThumpUp looks great.

Al
Gandale
#127 Posted : 24 December 2016 23:44:26

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking very impressive Gil, super update.... well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#128 Posted : 24 December 2016 23:56:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Neat work as always Gil.

Cool Cool Cool

Love these cut throughs, just rammed with detail.

Keep up the excellnt work.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

davetwin
#129 Posted : 26 December 2016 11:27:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Beautiful work Gill, you can see the love and care that is going into this Cool
ian smith
#130 Posted : 28 December 2016 13:47:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gil.
Looking fantastic. keep up the good work. Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
GilShapley
#131 Posted : 16 January 2017 10:38:44

Issue 139

Finishing the lower gun deck bulwarks -

Straight forward, just ensure you mask off the deck to avoid paint on the deck. As i have mentioned before I am using some white emulsion as I find this does not bleed under the tape as I found with the Admiralty paint I first used. A Big thanks to Mr T for the heads up on the typo on the drilling plan (Official Build Diary)

Preparing the guns:

Having built the Victory this is more of the same with a few differences, Wooden Wheels and Axles and they are larger. It is a good idea to check that all the holes in the blocks are clear, in fact I made them slightly large to allow the thread to run more smoothly. One of my blocks had no holes at all !!!!!.The instruction suggest that the .75mm thread is attached to the eye bolt with two half hitches. I did not like the look so instead I used some thinner thread the bind the ends for a neater look. I also added tampions to each gun

Pictures attached

No51.jpg
No49.jpg
No50.jpg
delboy271155
#132 Posted : 16 January 2017 12:02:20

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Gil,BigGrin

Neat as always and those cannon look very nice.Cool

Well done.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

ian smith
#133 Posted : 16 January 2017 13:21:25

Hi Gil.
Your cannons look great. look forward to seeing your next update.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
pemberg
#134 Posted : 16 January 2017 15:03:21

Great job Gil, she's looking gooood.
Graeme
Spal
#135 Posted : 16 January 2017 15:39:03

Super job on the cannons Gil,Cool really nice.

Al
Mo
#136 Posted : 16 January 2017 17:09:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Good bit of work your doing here, I love the red ends to the cannons, Might try that myself.

Mo

Mo
Gandale
#137 Posted : 16 January 2017 22:37:51

Gets better every time I look in Gil, nice touches being made too.....Cool Cool .. Looks great....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#138 Posted : 17 January 2017 06:34:00

BigGrin The cannons look brilliant Gill lovely job Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
GilShapley
#139 Posted : 26 January 2017 11:40:08

Issue 140
Rigging the Guns

Before you start to rig the guns it a good idea to ensure all the holes in the blocks are clear, one of my blocks had no holes at all !!!! I drilled out the holes slightly large which made it easier to thread the rigging. Tried painting the rings black prior to installing but a lot of the paint came off when adding the rigging so some touching up was required

Fitting the pumps

Assemble the two pumps as per the instructions - I sprayed mine black which gave them a nice even finish. The four chain pump heads need to be stained and painted. The handles I assembled in a different manner to that suggested in the build. Rather than make each handle from two pieces of brass wire I used one for each pair of pump heads. I bent one end of the wire to shape and threaded this through a pair of pump heads, then bent the second end to shape. I will then glue the heads in situ and paint the handles black. There will be no need to glue the handles so they will still be able to turn

Mess Tables and Benches

I made one small change here, I added two additional supports to the underside of the table to add a bit extra strength. I will install these as part of the next stage and have set them aside for now
No52.jpg
No53.jpg
No54.jpg
Tomick
#140 Posted : 26 January 2017 11:44:40

Groups:

Looking really good, the extra touches are a nice inspiration and looks like your enjoying this kit Cool