Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

12 Pages «<678910>»
Gils HMS Victory - Cross Section Build Options
darbyvet
#141 Posted : 26 January 2017 15:56:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

superb workmanship as always Gil.

Carl

Spal
#142 Posted : 26 January 2017 16:05:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fabulous work GilCool

Al
GilShapley
#143 Posted : 30 January 2017 21:50:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Issue 141

Deck support beams

Paint first, I use white emulsion paint it give a good cover with one coat.
I did notice that on my model the beams seemed to be a bit short and it seems as thought the ribs had opened out slightly so in order to pull the frame back I used some clamps to pull the ribs back into place, glued and pinned the beams and left overnight to dry. problem solved. Added the two fore and aft beams, note the instructions re orientation as it is easy to get them the wrong way round

Fitting support columns and roller fairleads

The only issue I had here was with my pump handles which I had made slightly to large.Angry As it happens I had tried to be too clever and made the handles in one piece and left them able to turn in situ. It was therefore easy to cut them out and remake as per instructions BigGrin

Shot Garlands

I replaced the provided steel balls with black balls I purchased from CM to give a more realistic look (We all know canon balls should be black)

Fitting the gratings

Same procedure as before although I mitred my joint as apposed to butt joints.

GilShapley attached the following image(s):
No55.jpg
No56.jpg
No57.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
birdaj2
#144 Posted : 30 January 2017 22:04:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very neat bit of building indeed.

This looks a great kit and good value for money seeing the price of the kit.

Hope it all goes well with the rest of the build.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
magpie1832
#145 Posted : 31 January 2017 08:32:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work Gil. Looking very nice indeed.

Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Martyn Ingram
#146 Posted : 31 January 2017 09:38:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Very neat and tidy Gil lovely work Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
ian smith
#147 Posted : 31 January 2017 11:11:30

Hi Gil.
fantastic update. keep up the good work.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
GilShapley
#148 Posted : 09 February 2017 14:40:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Issue 143

Planking the Bulwarks - Is as before withe lower decks except that this deck has the entry ports. Once the planking is complete it is just a matter of trimming back to the frames to allow for the entry port linings. Once fitted the linings need to be sanded until they are flush with the bulwark and outer hull.

To Finish the bulwark you need to cut a piece of 1X6 mm to fit around the frames. A sharp blade is required as the final piece is fragile until glued in place.

Once the final bulwark plank is in place it is time to fit some more knees. These will need to be notched to fit over the final bulwark plank and may well vary from model to model. Ensure you glue them under the right deck supports.

Adding Buckets and barrels - The buckets and barrels I stained with dark oak and them painted the iron rings black. Did not have much sucess with painting the straps on the small barrels so resorted to using the the side of my black felt tip marker which I use on the edges of the deck planking. The ridges on the barrels are raised and using the pen gave me the effect I was looking for.

You will see from the attached photos that I have replaced the steel cannon balls provide with black ones I purchased from CM.

I have still to make the hammocks, I do not like the suggested design so am giving this a bit of thought and will show my results later
GilShapley attached the following image(s):
No58.jpg
No59.jpg
NO60.jpg
No61.jpg
No62.jpg
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
birdaj2
#149 Posted : 09 February 2017 15:50:25

All looking very neat and tidy.

Good idea using the marker pen as it makes colouring some of these small fiddly parts a lot easier.

Hope it all continues well for you.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
ian smith
#150 Posted : 09 February 2017 15:57:31

Hi Gil.
looking Fantastic. Looking very neat and tidy. look forward to the next instalment. Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Spal
#151 Posted : 09 February 2017 18:02:50

Looking great GilCool I really enjoy watching this progress.

Al
Gandale
#152 Posted : 09 February 2017 18:55:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice, really coming along nicely....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
GilShapley
#153 Posted : 18 February 2017 12:00:25

Many thanks for all the positive feedback.

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Will be moving house shortly so the build will be on the back burner for a while as we will be in temporary accommodation till we can move into the new place which will be several months. The good news is that there is a large store which will become my workshop, No more workbench in the conservatory for me (Cold in winter and hot in the summer)

Will add some more posts when I can

Gandale
#154 Posted : 18 February 2017 13:46:43

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Good luck with the move Gil, hope it all goes well for you.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
darbyvet
#155 Posted : 18 February 2017 15:22:15

Good luck with the move Gil.
The workshop sounds great.Now you can order EVERY OCCRE kit ever made and do a diorama of the Golden Spike ceremony when the transpacific railroad was finished.I am sure the decals for the UP 119 are just as much fun as the ones for the Jupiter!!Cursing Cursing Cursing

Carl

davetwin
#156 Posted : 18 February 2017 19:51:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I really love your work on this Gill, lovely and neat and great photos too ThumpUp
Spal
#157 Posted : 18 February 2017 20:24:45

Hope the move goes smoothly Gil, looking forward to seeing you back with the build.

Al
pemberg
#158 Posted : 18 February 2017 20:52:20

Good luck with the move. It will be good to have a dedicated workshop.
Graeme
magpie1832
#159 Posted : 19 February 2017 00:56:35

Good luck with your move Gil. Nice update aswell your doing a great job mate look forward to your return.
Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

tf64
#160 Posted : 19 February 2017 10:57:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wonderful work Gil and good progress, good luck with the move, like yourself I to will be moving very soon, so all modelling has stopped for now.

Regards

Trev.

Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).