Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

12 Pages «<7891011>»
Gils HMS Victory - Cross Section Build Options
GilShapley
#161 Posted : 26 July 2017 19:19:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Well the move took far longer than I hoped delayed in part by the 12 weeks wait for local searches. Had to put all the modelling gear plus furniture and belongings into storage. Spent months living in a static caravan.

But now I am back on the forum

so to continue with the build

issue no 144

I decided to go with hammocks on both sides. Rather than use the 2mm dowel supplied for the supports I used some 2mm square strips which I rounded off on one side. This left a larger surface to glue onto the beams and it was easier to cut the required slots to support the hammocks.

I had a minor problem with hanging the mess tables as if I followed the build instructions the tables seemed to hang at the wrong angle to the hull. The problem was the table was not under the central beam. I was able to get the result I wanted by using the support beam I had already install for the hammocks. When installing the Hammocks/Tables you will need the recommended needle threader. This is a useful bit of kit for anyone who is building sailing ship models. If you do not have one you can pick up 10 for £1.99 from EBay.

Fitting the second elm tree pump - No problems here

Fitting the mast and mast collars - Fiddly due to lack of space and some adjustment to the collar parts will be required to get a good fit

Fitting the gunners tools
As I had opted for hammocks on both sides I skipped this part

Planking the middle gun deck

Similar to previous decking apart from the area around the mast. The instruction are clear here. I did find that when planking the area around the mast (Page 12, 1 - 10) I needed to complete the last two planks at the centre of the raised deck using some 5 mm wide planking to fill the remaining gap.

Once the decking was completed I stained the deck with oak stain.

Pictures attached
GilShapley attached the following image(s):
No63.jpg
No64.jpg
No65.jpg
No66.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
Spal
#162 Posted : 26 July 2017 20:25:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking great Gil BigGrin good to see you back on here.

Al
pemberg
#163 Posted : 26 July 2017 20:47:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work, love the colour of the decking.

Graeme
magpie1832
#164 Posted : 26 July 2017 21:31:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work Gil. Looks great.

Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gandale
#165 Posted : 26 July 2017 22:26:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you back with us Gil, great looking update too....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Garth
#166 Posted : 06 August 2017 15:53:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Gil,
I have really enjoyed browsing your build. Great work.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
GilShapley
#167 Posted : 25 August 2017 11:15:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Issue 145

Planking the bulwarks, Lining the gun ports, fitting the mast collars

Similar procedure as for the lower decks. The mast collars are easier on this deck as there is more access

Fitting the mess tables

The only minor problem here was that I did not allow enough of the hooks to extend past the edge of the table which made for a tight fit and some additional bending to get them to fit into the rings.

Deck beams and knees:-

As with previous decks so straight forward. I did make a couple of minor changes.
1) The vertical slot that need to be cut out for the elm tree pump left the beam with a weakness so I added an additional bracket between the fore-and-aft beam and the half beam to give some additional support, painted white. It will not show once the deck has been added but will I hope avoid and unfortunate damage as the build progresses
2) I added two addition supports where the smaller of the gratings will be installed. This gave me a larger support surface to glue on the grating

With the support pillars (Page13) I added the cross pieces to the pillars before gluing them in position. Found this easier.

Issue 146

No hammocks on this deck

Fitting the mess table supports - As with the hammock supports on the lower deck I used some 2 X 2 mm strips and not the dowel provided, gives a larger area for gluing. In order to ensure the table support was vertical I glued on the support rails first and painted them white. Once the paint was dry I lined up the table thread with the support and drilled a small hole in the correct place. Pulled the thread through with my trusty needle threader and glued in position.

Once painted the elm tree pump can be glued in position

Planking the upper deck

Follows a similar procedure as for the lower decks

Once completed can be stained and the bulwarks painted yellow ocre

Next job for me is to fit the knees and add the 12 pounders

No67.jpg
No68.jpg
No69.jpg
No70.jpg
No71.jpg
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
Spal
#168 Posted : 25 August 2017 12:01:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Another great update Gil Cool looking really good.

Al
Markwarren
#169 Posted : 25 August 2017 12:03:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Great build, looks excellentBigGrin

Mark
GilShapley
#170 Posted : 28 September 2017 11:01:51

Issue 147

Rigging the Guns - I went for the run-in version. These guns are rigged slightly differently to those on the lower deck. When installing any blocks or rigging I always make sure the holes in the blocks are clean, try sorting out a blocked hole once you have attached it to the model Crying

Mast collar is straight forward unlike some of those on the lower decks

The pump head again straight forward

Quarter deck beams - Just make sure you get them the right way round ThumpUp

Deck beam supports - I find it easier to construct these before installing.
Once glued and stained I place them in position and pin them in place with a pin through the deck beam above, pre drill to avoid splitting the beam.

Now the fun bit. The gunners tools

I have only one suggestion here, The instructions call for a 1mm hole to be drilled in the end of the 2mm dowel. After several failed attempts - The dowel split - A change of approach.

1) Wrap several layers of masking tape around the end of the dowel
2) Drill a .5mm pilot hole and then enlarge with a 1mm bit. Cut off the length required and repeat until you have the four ends required for the ramrods

For the sponges I cut some strips of masking tape and wrapped these around the end of the handles. The off white colour looks fine

For the worms just follow the instruction in issue 142

I have also place the buckets and small barrels onto the deck

The tables on the mess deck looked a bit bare so I have made some wooden plates for the tables.
Some of these I have installed but the others seemed a bit on the large size so I will revisit these later

Pictures attached

onto number 148 - Minor problem some parts seem to be missing so I have contacted customer services

No73.jpg
No72.jpg
delboy271155
#171 Posted : 28 September 2017 15:30:49

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Lots going on in this build and expertly done.

WTG Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Tomick
#172 Posted : 28 September 2017 15:34:38

Groups:

Lovely work Gil, looks like your enjoying this build Cool
Spal
#173 Posted : 28 September 2017 16:04:52

More great work from you Gil Cool nearing the end now.

Al
darbyvet
#174 Posted : 28 September 2017 17:01:25

lovely job Gil

Carl

pemberg
#175 Posted : 28 September 2017 19:37:16

Great work Gil, looking superb.

Graeme
Gandale
#176 Posted : 28 September 2017 20:13:42

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Top work Gil and a pleasure to see....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#177 Posted : 28 September 2017 20:34:39

BigGrin Very nicely done Gill BigGrin

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Markwarren
#178 Posted : 29 September 2017 07:09:42

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Lovely work Gill. Love

Mark
ian smith
#179 Posted : 02 October 2017 14:58:42

Hi Gil.
Looking fantastic very well done.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Garth
#180 Posted : 24 October 2017 12:08:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Gil,
Superb build. Thanks for sharing all your tips and techniques.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.