Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages 123>»
The King Wanted Bling ---Sovereign Build Log Options
Nige
#1 Posted : 13 October 2016 20:05:13

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi all my names Nigel.
Having received pack one of twelve over the next two years I can now announce my SOTS build.
Once I've worked out how to resize and upload images my intention is to fully record this build and invite comments/advice/suggestions.

This will be only my second model so you can be sure I'm going to need all the help I can get.Blushing But for now I have a rather nice booklet to read BigGrin

Catch you all later: Nige
Building: Sovereign Of The Seas Reading About Everyone Elses Builds[/b]

Enjoy Making

Nige
Martyn Ingram
#2 Posted : 13 October 2016 20:20:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome to the forum Nigel you have picked a stunning ship. If you resize your pictures to 400-600 they will come out as pictures and not downloads Cool if you need any help just shout as there are lots of brilliant builders out there to help and advise. Happy building rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Nemesis
#3 Posted : 13 October 2016 20:28:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum Nigel, looking forward to your stay here and your build. This link should help you with any photo questions you have. BigGrin

http://forum.model-space....aspx?g=posts&t=244
Gandale
#4 Posted : 13 October 2016 21:16:49

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Nigel, always great to see another SOTS build, she is a beautiful ship and real fun to build. You're in for a treat putting this one together and I'll be following your build every step of the way... Look forward to seeing your first build update... Good luck with her.....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
pemberg
#5 Posted : 13 October 2016 22:33:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Nigel, this is a great model and builds into a beautiful ship. Have fun with your build, I am looking forward to seeing your progress.
Graeme
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 14 October 2016 06:41:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi and welcome to the forum. BigGrin BigGrin

Sure you`ll love building the Sots and I look forward to seeing your work.

Cool Cool

Good Luck

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Nige
#7 Posted : 14 October 2016 15:59:58

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Well on opening my first carton so as two check the parts supplied for damage the immediate thing that struck me was the quality of the ply BigGrin

As I believe that no plans will be issued and as a backup in case of an accident I will check each ply part for flatness and then transfer it's outline onto some Bristol Board using a drafting pen. I have also marked the thread holding tube with its tread size because you just know those little labels will fall off.

Now to see if I can upload photo's
Nige attached the following image(s):
0.5 Thread.jpg
Part 1 Parts.jpg
Template 1.jpg

Enjoy Making

Nige
Nige
#8 Posted : 14 October 2016 16:09:29

Cool well seems that worked, but this end I have to continually refresh the screen in order to view all images, my internet speed is really low and the contract has a way to go yet. hey ho

So Part One BigGrin
Catch you all later
Nige

Enjoy Making

Nige
Nemesis
#9 Posted : 14 October 2016 17:17:32

Nige wrote:
Cool well seems that worked, but this end I have to continually refresh the screen in order to view all images, my internet speed is really low and the contract has a way to go yet. hey ho

So Part One BigGrin
Catch you all later
Nige

Glad to see you got your pictures sorted and that you are pleased with the parts. Sometimes I have to click refresh to see all the pictures, but its not a problem.BigGrin
Martyn Ingram
#10 Posted : 14 October 2016 17:31:44

BigGrin Looking forward to this and marking the thread bobbin is a good idea as the labels do fall off Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Nige
#11 Posted : 16 October 2016 10:19:49

Thanks for looking in and the advice for uploading photo's, now I need to learn how to take better pictures Blink still I'm working on it. Perhaps this next lot of what Iv'e been doing will show some improvement.

Firstly I have removed the forward bulkheads and ribs from the fret, checked for damage or warping, transfered their outline to Bristol Board and then using an emery board lightly gone over the edges to remove any laser ash.

Then using Aliphatic glue assembled each bulkhead in turn and put aside between glass to setup.

As a break from the bulkheads I assembled the 2 cannon carriages supplied and have put them aside to be painted later.

Then went off to get a build board and some brackets. I've cut a small piece of waste ply fret and glued it to the Temporary Bow Support and will see how that works out for now.

Never used one before but have put in a order for an Air Brush Kit so something else to learn BigGrin Will have to think about creating a mini spray booth.

Couple off Questions.
What do you use to seal wood prior to painting (sealer or Primer) and do you have a favourite.

OK Pictures: Only dry fitted at the moment unless mentioned earlier.

Catch you all later BigGrin Nige.

Forward Bulkheads.jpg
Cannon Carriages.jpg
Buildboard.jpg
Temporay Bow Support.jpg
Bow Support Base.jpg
Modified Bow Support.jpg
Bow Support In Use.jpg
Forward Bulkheads Dry Fitted.jpg

Enjoy Making

Nige
Martyn Ingram
#12 Posted : 16 October 2016 10:35:11

BigGrin Cracking start Nige Cool . I didn't use any primer or sealer on the wooden parts just gave it a fine sand and painted with acrylic paint Cool . The metal parts I cleaned with soapy water and primed with halfords grey primer Cool
Hope this helps rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Nige
#13 Posted : 16 October 2016 13:37:09

Thanks Martyn for your kind compliment BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin I've been on the sidelines watching everyones builds for 2yrs so have had some good teachers. Don't want to single out any when I have learnt so much from this forum. But I'm aiming high and want to have cannons like yours.Drool

I will be using Acrylic paint and have several bottles of Caldercrafts Admiralty Range, have not seen a Dark Bronze though so will have to see what I can find.

Thanks again for the info on Sealer and Primer.

Regards Nige

Enjoy Making

Nige
Martyn Ingram
#14 Posted : 16 October 2016 16:43:24

BigGrin Hi Nige the paint I used on the cannons was Citadel paints from Warhammer the bronze is wapplock bronze which l painted as a base and did a wash of nunlin oil . The details where picked out in gold Cool

Hope this helps rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Gandale
#15 Posted : 16 October 2016 22:36:26

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

She's coming along nicely Nige, you're off to a great start..... I do like the care and attention you're putting into this build, am sure she'll turn out to be a great display piece when done.....Cool Cool Cool .. Will be following all the way.....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Nige
#16 Posted : 17 October 2016 14:02:55

Thanks For Looking IN

Thanks Martyn for the paint information, I have a Games Workshop only a few miles from me so will be paying them a visit.

Alan that's very nice of you to sayBigGrin I can't count the number of times I've looked over yours and Martyns shoulders so to speak. quite inspirational you pair.

So update:
I've removed the stern bulkheads from the fret. Copied their outline onto Bristol Board. Given them a light sanding, glued them up and sandwiched them in glass to set up as I did with the forward bulkheads.

I noticed a small piece missing from the upper deck support of 20b and think I must have been a bit hasty. No big deal, it should be an easy fix but a lesson learned non the less (Never Used A Dull Blade)Blushing

I also put together a Horizontal Alignment jig from the leftover build board. Then measuring up from the build boards base I established a reference mark each side and joined the dots as it where. Then on it was simply a matter of making repeat lines at 5mm increments. When the time comes to fit the bulkheads should make horizontal alignment to the false keel a sure thing.

I've been thinking for some time about what I would do differently to others builds and have an idea I would like to try in mind. Hence another reason why I have been using all this Bristol Board. Cool Succeed or fail it will be documented here. If it fails I will just have to redo it.

So have a good day and some pictures:

Stern Bulkheads.jpg
20b.jpg
Alignment jig.jpg

Enjoy Making

Nige
delboy271155
#17 Posted : 17 October 2016 14:24:54

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Nige, BigGrin

A nice start to your build and good to see you taking the time to make sure things are straight and square.

Congrats on your Blue medal.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Nige
#18 Posted : 18 October 2016 17:34:25

Hi all and thanks for looking in.

Cool a medal, thanks Derek BigGrin Love reading about your builds.

Update Time:

With the last off the bulkheads removed from their glass sandwich and dry fitted to the false keel I removed the deck pieces and cleaned them of laser ash. Again no damage or warping BigGrin
Following the build instructions I marked lines to show the bulkhead locations. and test fitted. Very happy with the result, everything just as it should be BigGrin

Then I removed all the bulkheads and started to glue them in, starting from the bow. This was a slow process as I only have a few clamps. Will get more when time permits because I think i'm going to need a few Blink Blink Blink

Such a satisfying feeling when having left the glue to cure the deck plates just snicked into place.BigGrin Perfect alignment. Well worth taking my time over.

Whatever follows I know I won't have a Banana BoatLOL

Had a delivery waiting for me when I got home from work today. My airbrush kit has arrived, once I finish the spray booth for it I will be putting in some time getting to know this new tool.

Still plenty to do in the meantime and new processes try, like I read on one of the forums build logs about chemically blackening brass and of course just had to try it BigGrin

Will post more soon.
Have a good time making.
Regards Nigel...........opps pictures.....We All like To See Them BigGrin

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg

Enjoy Making

Nige
Nige
#19 Posted : 18 October 2016 17:41:41

Just read through that last post sorry, sometimes my fingers miss hit the odd key but I reckon you all get the gist.

Regards Nige

Enjoy Making

Nige
Gandale
#20 Posted : 18 October 2016 18:29:33

Another very nice update Nige and you've got yourself a really nice airbrush kit. I have the same one and it has served my purposes very well to date.... Practice with it and you'll soon get a feel for how it operates..... Keep up the good work.....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan