Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages «<3456>
The King Wanted Bling ---Sovereign Build Log Options
Gandale
#81 Posted : 09 January 2017 23:15:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Nige, she's coming along nicely and great to hear you are happy with the results...Cool Cool .. My only concern would be with it looking as if all your plank ends are joining on the same rib rather than being staggered, this can result in a weak point in the hull structure....Cool Cool .. I do like the way you have the planks flowing, very effective....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Nige
#82 Posted : 10 January 2017 03:31:11

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Gandale wrote:
Hi Nige, she's coming along nicely and great to hear you are happy with the results...Cool Cool .. My only concern would be with it looking as if all your plank ends are joining on the same rib rather than being staggered, this can result in a weak point in the hull structure....Cool Cool .. I do like the way you have the planks flowing, very effective....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan and thanks for looking in. Having increased each bulkheads width to around 10/12mm and gluing each plank to it's neighbour I have no worries about any weakness. It should be more than capable of withstanding the rigours of a display stand. Cool

When I reach the second planking stage joints will be staggered and plank lengths cut to scale to achieve the desired affect. BigGrin BigGrin

Building: Sovereign Of The Seas Reading About Everyone Elses Builds[/b]

Enjoy Making

Nige
scraperjawa
#83 Posted : 10 January 2017 06:41:58

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Nige,

Looking good so far. Should move along rather quickly once the bow and stern are done. I'm at about the same place as you are with this build. I will post some pictures when I complete the bottom of the hull. The planking can be a bit dull, but should look nice once complete.

Keep up the good work,

Stephen
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Finished Builds: Millennium Falcon

Gandale
#84 Posted : 10 January 2017 09:17:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Nige, great to hear you have to covered..... Would hate to see you encounter any mishaps at this stage of your build.... Look forward to seeing your next update...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Nige
#85 Posted : 11 January 2017 17:12:26

Hi All And Thanks For Looking In

Planking Update

Having now spent some time studying the flow of planks so far fitted to the stern I believe I've identified my error resulting in an over-wide garboard. With no instructions to follow and finding it hard to visualise the flow of planks before they where fitted I prepared for just this outcome by beefing up all the bulkheads and adding extra bulsa both bow and stern with the intention of planking one side only.

At least I only have to remove half the planks on one side at the stern and not all Crying still wrong is wrong.

Looking at the stern photo's on page four of this log a general bending in the flow of planks toward the keel can be seen. My plan is to taper down the planks that terminate at the rear where the angle changes from vertical to horizontal. This should have the effect of smoothing out the plank flow, less curve in the problem area and a cleaner change of direction adjacent to the stern post.

Will post photo's once this has been completed to show how I get on.

Keeping Eyes Firmly Fixed On The Prize

English Ship - Planked English Style
No Dropers No Steelers Flapper Flapper Flapper

Rgds Nige

Enjoy Making

Nige
Nige
#86 Posted : 14 January 2017 21:57:38

Planking Update

As mentioned before, I first removed all the rear planks from keel up to their limit on the sternpost. 13 in total and to be clear that's the same number that will need to be fitted midships to fully enclose the hull.

With the hull inverted I measured the smallest gap between the remaining planks and keel. Then using a planking fan I was able to determine how much to taper the planks at this point.

Next I just have to allow the planks to taper back to their full 5mm depth in their run forward and so fully enclose the hull with it's first layer.

Ultimately I want to paint the lower hull and I'm not sure any of this will even show. LOL LOL LOL

Nige attached the following image(s):
Sternpost Planking.jpg

Enjoy Making

Nige
Nige
#87 Posted : 14 January 2017 22:08:03

Forgotten Bit

Forgot to mention this has also corrected the oversized garboard plank.

Enjoy Making

Nige
Gandale
#88 Posted : 15 January 2017 00:33:45

Coming along nicely Nige, am following your progress with a great deal of interest... Cool Cool .. Looks like you're achieving a good base for the second layer of planking.....Cool Cool .. Look forward to your next update....

Regards

Alan
Nige
#89 Posted : 15 January 2017 08:33:15

Gandale wrote:
Coming along nicely Nige, am following your progress with a great deal of interest... Cool Cool .. Looks like you're achieving a good base for the second layer of planking.....Cool Cool .. Look forward to your next update....

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan for your kind comments. As to your following along and support I'm rather counting on it. BigGrin

I am still following everyone's builds, learning as much as I can and love what everyone is doing.

I realise my workmanship isn't anything like that of you guys here but needed to try this in order to understand the problem. No better time to try than on the first layer.Blink

I wont get build pack 3 until the end of Feb so it will be March sometime before the lower hull is fully planked and I can post pictures of my results.

Just wish sometimes the guys who built the real ships where around so I could ask "How the heck did you do that"

Perhaps on completion of the first layer I should do a round up of what I've learned in case another fool wishes to try.LOL LOL

Kindest regards always
Nige

Enjoy Making

Nige
Martyn Ingram
#90 Posted : 15 January 2017 09:38:22

BigGrin Very nicely done Nige I never get over the satisfaction of finishing the first layer of planking Cool looking forward to your next update Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Nige
#91 Posted : 15 January 2017 11:42:47

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Very nicely done Nige I never get over the satisfaction of finishing the first layer of planking Cool looking forward to your next update Cool

Rgd Martyn

BigGrin Thanks Martyn.

Don't know I would ever have it in me to do another or the time left LOL
Perhaps that will excuse the numerous times I redo, all my learning is being done on this ship.

Enjoy Making

Nige
ian smith
#92 Posted : 24 January 2017 14:11:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Nige.
your planking is looking very good. like to see people trying different methods of building. you are doing a great job. look forward to seeing your progress Ian. Cool Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
scraperjawa
#93 Posted : 24 January 2017 14:38:30

Hi Nige,

Looking good so far on the planking. Sounds like you are backtracking a bit to fix some issues. I know how frustrating that can be but the result is almost always better. The main thing is that you are happy with the result. I've done the same thing on other models when things were not going the way I wanted it to and learned so much because of it. Keep up the good work and I will continue to watch with interest. We are both learning a lot on this build.

Stephen
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Nige
#94 Posted : 29 January 2017 09:45:12

scraperjawa wrote:
Hi Nige,

Looking good so far on the planking. Sounds like you are backtracking a bit to fix some issues. I know how frustrating that can be but the result is almost always better. The main thing is that you are happy with the result. I've done the same thing on other models when things were not going the way I wanted it to and learned so much because of it. Keep up the good work and I will continue to watch with interest. We are both learning a lot on this build.

Stephen

Hi Stephen and thanks for looking in.

Yeah that stern planking and garboard just wasnt right but got the answer now BigGrin just waiting for the next installment (3/12).

This is only my second model, the first was a terrible mistake and a sorry thing to behold Blushing but it has made me determined to get this one right. Following everyones builds fills me with inspiration and I learn so much.

Rgds Nige

Enjoy Making

Nige
Nige
#95 Posted : 31 January 2017 13:45:24

Have now completed the last remaining tasks from build pack 2. If things get any smaller I'm going to need a bigger magnifierLOL
Row boat 1.jpg
Row boat 2.jpg
Row boat 3.jpg
Row boat 4.jpg
Row boat 5.jpg
Oars.jpg
Small Anchor & Bucket.jpg
Blocks & Eyelets.jpg
Cannon Group.jpg

Enjoy Making

Nige
tigerace
#96 Posted : 31 January 2017 14:24:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I think you are doing a great job so far Nige BigGrin keep it upCool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

scraperjawa
#97 Posted : 31 January 2017 14:47:24

Hey Nige,

Your skiff and cannons look great. Some very nice work on the small bits. I know what you mean about needing a bigger magnifying glass. The pictures on the forum never really give you a good idea of how small everything really is.

Stephen

Nige
#98 Posted : 27 March 2017 16:40:41

Hi Everyone / Update Time

Progress has been slow but I have steadily continued planking the hull and build pack 3 is now complete. Had a couple of problems along the way that needed sorting.

1) Managed to break off three of the pointed rib tops during the planking just from generally moving the hull about. And thought that area a bit flexible when planked so added a layer of 1mm x 5mm Limewood strip.

2) As I started the upper planking it became apparent that rib 26 on the left was out at the top by 5mm. Now I know it wasn't like that when I glued it in so can't explain why.
Spent a whole 2 weeks just considering my options on that one and in the end just cut the rib off at deck level and re glued.

As to my attempt not to have any droppers or stealers, managed it at the bow but not quite at the stern, still I'm glad I tried it and I can tell you its one heck of a lot of tapering. As this build will have a painted white hull the second layer will follow the build instructions.

So now I start sanding and filling the work so far until pack 4 arrives but in the mean time if anyone spots errors I would be grateful for a shout.

Rgds Nige
FirstLayer1.jpg
FirstLayer2.jpg
FirstLayer3.jpg
FirstLayer4.jpg
FirstLayer5.jpg
FirstLayer6.jpg
FirstLayer7.jpg
FirstLayer8.jpg
FirstLayer9.jpg
FirstLayer10.jpg

Enjoy Making

Nige
arpurchase
#99 Posted : 27 March 2017 19:31:38

BigGrin Looking good, getting this stage of the planking nice and flat will make the second planking so much easyerCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jase
#100 Posted : 27 March 2017 20:09:26

Great progress. hull should look great once sanding finished, top job

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain