Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

14 Pages 123>»
Martyn's Corel Wasa build Options
Martyn Ingram
#1 Posted : 17 October 2016 15:07:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi all just had my delivery of Wasa by Corel . This ship is the one I have always wanted to get Love

I will be building this when I am waiting for packs of the Sol to turn up Cool

Had a quick look in the box and wow lots and lots of castings and bulkheads Love plus a set of sails . I must admit I am really buzzing to get going on this trouble is I have just changed job and on two days training for elf and safety Cursing but will hopefully post some pics tomorrow of the grand opening of the box Laugh

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
tigerace
#2 Posted : 17 October 2016 15:11:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Your like a kid in a sweet shopLOL LOL LOL can`t wait to see your build start MartynDrool Drool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Tomick
#3 Posted : 17 October 2016 16:02:30

Groups:

The two 'bible" ref books for Wasa...

"Vasa I - The Archaelogy of a Swedish Warship of 1628" by Carl Olof Cederlund, edited by Frederick Hocker (Fred Hocker is the current Wasa Museum Director of Vasa Research).

"The Royal Warship Vasa" - Bjorn Landstrom - This is by far the best book available though is long since out of print and genberally sells for silly money if you can find one.

Look forward to seeing how you get on Martyn, the Corel Wasa is based on the graphic reproductions published by the Board of the Museum. Cool
Tomick attached the following image(s):
Vasa 1 Fred Hocker the archaelogy of a swedish warship.jpg
Bjorn Landstrom - the royal warship Vasa.jpg
Martyn Ingram
#4 Posted : 17 October 2016 16:05:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Laugh worse than that Phil can't wait to start Love Just had another look and there are lots of tiny castings of figures that are going to need painting oh my poor old eyes LOL . In the instructions it says made with the co-operation with the wasa museum so hopefully will be quite accurate but I have Fred Hockers book on the Wasa so will be adding more details Cool

Cheers for looking in rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Martyn Ingram
#5 Posted : 17 October 2016 16:09:52

BigGrin Cheers for the info Tom will have to look around the web for those books Cool

Looking forward to getting this started BigGrin

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Tomick
#6 Posted : 17 October 2016 19:13:06

Groups:

Vasa I on sale here..
http://www.oxbowbooks.co...%20Maritime%20Museum%29

There are a few copies of the Landstrom book out there, but all are over £100 and as high as £280 - found this one on eBay Oz for £105 which seems to be the cheapest at the moment..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...60f3:g:T0YAAOSwLVZVjOiW
birdaj2
#7 Posted : 17 October 2016 19:14:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Martyn

Nothing like getting your hands on that so wanted item.

Hope you get a lot of pleasure from your new purchase and enjoy building it.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Martyn Ingram
#8 Posted : 17 October 2016 19:36:40

BigGrin Cheers Tony I have wanted this kit for ages and looking forward to building it Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Martyn Ingram
#9 Posted : 17 October 2016 19:39:43

Blushing Ouch that's a bit steep but thanks for looking Tom ThumpUp

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Nige
#10 Posted : 17 October 2016 19:48:31

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Martyn.

Will enjoy following this build the Vasa Museum is on my bucket list of things to do.

Enjoy your build
rgds Nige
Building: Sovereign Of The Seas Reading About Everyone Elses Builds[/b]

Enjoy Making

Nige
arpurchase
#11 Posted : 17 October 2016 20:15:36

BigGrin Will be following this oneCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#12 Posted : 17 October 2016 21:58:14

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

You can guarantee I'll be stuck to your diary on this one Martyn, a fabulous looking ship and a great kit to get your hands on....You're going to get a great deal of pleasure building this one... good luck with it.....Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
pemberg
#13 Posted : 18 October 2016 09:27:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks like you've got a great kit there, looking forward to seeing it progress.
Graeme
Martyn Ingram
#14 Posted : 19 October 2016 20:47:32

Blink Sorry I haven't posted any pictures but after two days of elf and safety my brain has totally collapsed Bored totally bored stupid Cursing but anyway on to something better Cool .
Had a look at the instructions and trying to understand the broken English I am slowly getting my head around them LOL
I think this is going to be one heck of a build as the lack of measurements and having to cross reference everything with the main plan will certainly be fun but I love a challenge Cool

Will post pics tomorrow promise Cool rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Martyn Ingram
#15 Posted : 20 October 2016 11:58:24

First pictures of the contents of the box lots of castings planks and shaped wood also a full size plan and sub assembly's Cool
BigGrin Hi all I am on my day off so have started putting this kit together and boy is this thing fighting me Crying
I will do a warts and all report on this kit and the first thing is Corel can't use a rule as every slot is to small ie 5mm ply into a 4.5 slot Cursing so every one has to be filled to get a snug fit Confused
Next problem there is a 10+10mm rod witch I think is designed to help hold the bulkheads at 90 deg but they can't get that right as the slots they fit in are to small and two are out of line on No 4 - 7 bulkheads so you can't slip them in Angry so it's back to filing and cursing come on Mr Corel how can you let that happen Confused
Any way I have managed to glue up the bulkheads and dry fitted the deck to keep it all lined up Cool
Next thing to do is learn Italian so I can understand the parts list as the instructions are in sort of English but the list is in Italian LOL

rgd Martyn
Martyn Ingram attached the following image(s):
ships 487.jpg
ships 488.jpg
ships 490.jpg
ships 491.jpg
ships 494.jpg
ships 495.jpg
ships 500.jpg
ships 508.jpg
ships 509.jpg
ships 511.jpg
Building ?
Next Build ?
Tomick
#16 Posted : 20 October 2016 12:36:35

Groups:

Am sure that Jack Aubrey would pleased to assist with the Italian..
Martyn Ingram
#17 Posted : 20 October 2016 13:24:38

BigGrin Thanks Tom I will pm him and see if he can help Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Tomick
#18 Posted : 20 October 2016 15:51:02

Groups:

Great start, looks a quality kit and like the idea they supply blue veneer strips, far better than paint Cool
birdaj2
#19 Posted : 20 October 2016 16:40:56

Martyn

A few niggles but sure you will overcome them.

If your list is not too long you could try google and type "translate "whatever the word is" to English".

Had similar issues on some mamoli pkans a while back.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Martyn Ingram
#20 Posted : 20 October 2016 17:20:54

BigGrin Thanks for the feedback guys Cool

Hi Tom the quality of the wood and castings is top notch but the instructions are a bit lacking certainly not a kit for a beginner Cool

Cheers Tony I think I have been spoilt by the quality of the fit you get with Deag kits but I like a challenge so onwards and upwards Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?