Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

106 Pages <12345>»
1/48 scale U-Boat U230 [Part 1] Options
tigerace
#41 Posted : 16 December 2016 14:37:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Looking forward to seeing the progress PhilBigGrin ,merry christmas &happy new year to you and your familyCool regards Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Sticky Wickett
#42 Posted : 16 December 2016 14:47:55

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks Phil. Merry Christmas to you and your family too!

Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
pemberg
#43 Posted : 16 December 2016 15:12:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking great Phil. I figured the interior parts provided would need some adjustment which is why I decided to shelve the build until I had all the issues and could build the interior when it was due to be fitted (the last couple of issues as it turns out).

Merry Christmas to you and your family and I hope you get the quiet time for modelling we all hope for over the xmas period.

Graeme
Sticky Wickett
#44 Posted : 16 December 2016 15:19:58

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Graeme,

Yes, there's lots of readjustment required. Waiting until you have all the parts is a good shout as you can then plan your build more methodically rather than 'put this in a safe place for later' scenario as the part-works keeps telling us.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family.
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
Sticky Wickett
#45 Posted : 20 December 2016 13:13:09

Hi All,

While searching for paint colours used by the Kreigsmarine, especially U-Boats, I found this useful link [see below]. Complied by Dougie Martinedale, this reference manual covers all topics including paint schemes, emblems, types of tower and a whole wealth of other useful information.

Regards,
Phil W.

http://amp.rokket.biz/do...the_wolf_pack_compr.pdf

davetwin
#46 Posted : 20 December 2016 13:37:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is really coming together nicely Phil, great work Cool
Sticky Wickett
#47 Posted : 20 December 2016 13:43:25

Thanks Dave, much appreciated!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and family.
Sticky Wickett
#48 Posted : 21 December 2016 14:00:19

Hi All,

Not long until the Christmas break starts! Woohoo!! BigGrin

There's a couple of sites I've found that you might find of interest regarding the U-boat build. They are both for Type VIIC 1/72 scale U-Boats. Some of the skills and ideas found on these sites could easily be transferred over to the larger 1/48 scale.

http://www.dargies.de/Mo...au/BilderU564/u564.html

The first link will take you to is a German site by Frank Dargies; I couldn't find the translate button but who needs words when you have great pictures to look at right? Frank has really gone to town with his 1/72 build of Type VIIC U564 with some very impressive modelling. Granted he has made extensive use of after-market parts, of which there are many for this scale. I only hanker for more AMP's in 1/48, which is why I will have to scratch-build most of the parts for my U230. Anyway, I digress, the reason I attached this link is that it shows a lot of interior detail; something for me [and others]to take inspiration from during our build. The other thing I noticed about Franks build is the quality of his painted figures. Painting figures is a skill in itself and one I'm comfortable with and Franks images give you a flavour and atmosphere of what the 1/48 build could potentially look like with carefully painted figures in place.

Regards,
Phil W.

Sticky Wickett
#49 Posted : 21 December 2016 14:16:34

Hi Again,

The second link is from Karel Ton's build diary; A 1/72 scale build of U995, a type VIIC/41.

http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=443.0

Karel is based in Holland [I think] and has made extensive use of available after-market products. The difference between this build and the one mentioned in my previous post [Frank Dargies] is that Karel's U995 shows no interior detail, just exterior. Where Karels skills excel is his weathering which is just amazing. Rust, salt streaks, you name it he has applied it with such finesse that this boat looks real! Consequently, this model of Karel's went on to win several gold awards around Europe when shown at various exhibitions.

These two links have me thinking and that is what if you could combine the interior details and accurately painted figures similar to Frank Dargies' model with the exterior weathering and distressing of Karels U995 but in 1/48 scale? Now that would be something! Something I intend to do for my 1/48 scale U230.

Regards,
Phil.

tigerace
#50 Posted : 21 December 2016 15:40:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

ooh makes me nervous cutting all that plastic away in case i mess it upConfused Crying but very impressed with this guys workLove Drool great find PhilCool regards Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Sticky Wickett
#51 Posted : 21 December 2016 15:58:13

Thanks Phil.

Yes, I did notice Phil that you have brought a lot of etched brass AMP's to convert your free flood holes to a different pattern. Looking at Karels conversion you have to be pretty confident with your skill set to modify and fit those new panels. Not impossible, but you need to know what you are going to cut and more importantly why so that you have a clear minds eye view of how it will look before you start. Just remember that Karel is building the U995 and not U96 so the free flood holes might vary in pattern. You should have a read of the link I posted yesterday "Wolf Pack - A Modellers Article" by Dougie Martindale. In this article he covers the types of free flood hole patterns with a few examples used on different U-Boats. I would check these first before you commit to fitting the new brass etch as you might find that the part-works 'as is' will be fine.

Regards,
Phil W
Sticky Wickett
#52 Posted : 03 January 2017 14:37:54

Hi Everyone and Happy New Year to you all!

I enjoyed a relaxing break apart from suffering from cold and flu. I managed to get a little modelling done; fixed the rivet strips to the stern and fabricated ribs for the aft torpedo compartment. Photos of this part of the build will be posted soon as there are a lot more to come before I post these. Images follow at the weekend when my internet is sorted [I'm at work on my lunch break at the moment].

During my holidays I managed a bit of research too which has confirmed a few things for me regarding modifications to U230.

I found three images of U230; one of which showed her in pristine condition and what looks like a Turn 0 tower [conning tower]. The next two images showed U230 sporting a Turn IV tower and camouflaged paint scheme.

When did she have the modifications done and when? Which was the correct configuration and how I could I rely on the provenance of the photos? Time to start a little digging into the history of U230 and see if I can piece it all together......

For nearly a year [essentially Jan to Nov 1943], U230 was part of the 9th Flotilla [laughing swordfish emblem] running out of Brest, then later moved to the 29th Flotilla [kicking mule emblem] running out of Toulon from Nov 1943 onwards operating in The Med.

This piece of her history had me confused as the two images of her with the Turn IV tower, armour-plating and camouflaged paint scheme operating from Toulon showed the laughing swordfish emblem on her tower when she had in fact transferred across to the 29th Flotilla. By rights, when U-boats changed flotillas they changed their emblems too, which meant she would of had the kicking mule and not the laughing swordfish emblazoned on the side of her tower. After reading Dougie Martindales "Wolfpack" modellers guide he mentions that although this was true for most U-boats, some kept their original emblems even though they operated for a different flotilla including U230!! Hahaha. We are now making progress!!

One of the images showed U230 with a Turn 0 tower. The later images [Toulon] showed a very different beast. When did this happen?

First a little insight; Turn 0 towers [as featured on U96] had the configuration of a platform behind the bridge sporting a 2cm anti-aircraft gun. This was often known as the 'wintergarten'. Improvements later on saw an additional lower platform added to the existing one allowing for an extra 2cm anti-aircraft gun to be mounted. This modification was known as the Turn II tower. Further improvements saw the bridge widened allowing for 2 x 2cm guns on the upper platform and a solitary 3.7cm gun the lower platform. This design was known as the Turn IV tower. All sea-going U-boats had to have this Turn IV tower fitted before being allowed on operational patrols from Sept 1943 onwards. This would explain why the U230 looks so very different in her later pictures to the earlier ones.

As a 'stocking filler' my missus bought me 'Iron Coffins' by Herbert Werner. 'Iron Coffins' is his post-war memoir recalling his time serving aboard u-boats. Herbert was the XO [Executive Officer - 2nd in command] on U230 during 1943. Reading through his memoirs while he was on-board U230 revealed some vey interesting facts regarding her time in the docks for repairs.

During January 1943 after a Baltic patrol and on return to her base port in Brest, U230 had work carried out on the tower. I can't recall the exact quote Herbert cites in his book but he mentions the bridge being widened and an extended lower platform added to the tower. Excellent! It was at this point then that U230 went from having a Turn 0 tower to a Turn IV one. Later on in his memoirs while still serving aboard U230 he mentions that in August 1943, U230 was fitted with armour-plating around the tower. Brilliant. This all ties in nicely with the photos shown of her sporting these additions which had me perplexed for a while.

Seeing these changes written down in Herbert's memoir confirms what I see in the photos of U230 and the stark difference between her earlier and later self.

To summarise: I will be modelling U230 in her later life showing all the modifications I have mentioned previously. Turn IV tower, armour-plating around the bridge, camouflaged paint scheme while still retaining the 'laughing swordfish' emblem.

Picture of U230 prior to modifications [pre-1943].
http://www.brendtandbren...amp;back=germansubs.php

Picture of U230 with a Turn IV tower, armour-plating, camouflaged paint scheme and 'laughing swordfish' emblem operating from Toulon.
http://www.u-historia.co...200-u299/u0230/u230.htm

Picture of U230 in modified guise. You can just make out the 'laughing swordfish' emblem on the tower.
http://uboat.net:8080/flotillas/bases/toulon.htm

Thanks for looking in! Photos of my build will be posted at the weekend and on a regular basis from then on.

Regards,
Phil W.

Sticky Wickett
#53 Posted : 05 January 2017 16:50:32

Good Afternoon Fellow Modellers,

Does anyone know where I can purchase a set of etched brass numbers from please? I'm going to use them for the water markings on the hull. Transfers /decals would be okay but I prefer the raised edges of etched brass to be honest. I would imagine the etched numbers to be no bigger than approximately 1.5mm in height which is the equivalent of 3" in real life based on 1/48 scale [6.35mm = 12"/1 Foot].

I will be posting lots of photos of this build from Sunday onwards on a regular basis now that my internet at home will be up and running.

Thanks for looking in and putting up with facts based posts, but it helps me remember the specifics when I refer back.

Kind Regards,
Phil W
Sticky Wickett
#54 Posted : 09 January 2017 21:55:58

Good Evening from 'The Dockyard',

The following posts show some of the exterior tank details I built to add further interest to the U-Boat. I took my references from pictures of U995 as alternate images showing these details are few and far between.

The parts I added include the Port Crash Dive Tank vent and a couple of different discharge ports which were probably used to pump bilges overboard.

The image below shows the Starboard Crash Dive Tank vent on the U995.
Sticky Wickett attached the following image(s):
IMG_5975.JPG
Sticky Wickett
#55 Posted : 09 January 2017 22:05:11

I spent a bit of time determining the location on the model for this vent so as to get it exactly positioned and in proportion when compared to the pic of U995. Once happy I marked out a square and double checked it's size.

I also wanted to recess this vent rather than have it flush to match the reference photo.

As I had only planked the boat with a single layer of lime wood and built up the outer skin on top using 0.25mm and/or 0.5mm plastic sheet, I simply cut through both layers very carefully. I then positioned 4 x pieces of 1mm plastic square rod inside the hole sitting just below the surface. This 1mm frame then gave me a guide to affix the vent slats.

The photos show the cut-out with the 1mm frame-work in-situ.
P1040324 - Copy.JPG
P1040325 - Copy.JPG
Sticky Wickett
#56 Posted : 09 January 2017 22:12:57

I then cut and filed to size all the individual slats from 0.5mm plastic sheet. Because I wanted the vent to give the appearance that you could 'look through and beyond it', I didn't add a supporting piece at the back of the vent to aid the fixing of the slats.

The photo below shows the vent from inside the submarine. This will be hidden by the bulkheads of the Control Room [partworks supplied] when fitted.
P1040326 - Copy.JPG
Sticky Wickett
#57 Posted : 09 January 2017 22:14:45

The attached pics show the completed Port Crash Dive Tank Vent. All in all i'm very happy with the way it turned out.
P1040331 - Copy.JPG
P1040330 - Copy.JPG
Sticky Wickett
#58 Posted : 09 January 2017 22:16:30

The following pictures show the discharge ports on the U995.
IMG_5972.JPG
IMG_5973.JPG
ModelMania
#59 Posted : 09 January 2017 22:19:04

Groups:

Sticky Wickett wrote:
Good Afternoon Fellow Modellers,

Does anyone know where I can purchase a set of etched brass numbers from please? I'm going to use them for the water markings on the hull. Transfers /decals would be okay but I prefer the raised edges of etched brass to be honest. I would imagine the etched numbers to be no bigger than approximately 1.5mm in height which is the equivalent of 3" in real life based on 1/48 scale [6.35mm = 12"/1 Foot].

Kind Regards,

Phil W

These any good Phil?:

http://www.model-dockyar..._Letters___Numbers.html

Hope that helps?

Nice work on that vent by the way, looking good. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Sticky Wickett
#60 Posted : 09 January 2017 22:25:33

Using the same method to mark the positions of these ports as i did for the Crash Dive Tank Vent i.e. a lot of cross-checking / referencing of the U995 photos, I marked out the port and starboard sides. As I have a lot of cut-outs on the starboard side, only one discharge port was required while the port side had three; one larger and two smaller.

I drilled out a 3mm hole into the hull for the largest of the ports so that I could dry fit a piece of 3mm aluminium tube cut to length. Once happy I then removed it and fitted 3 tiny slats cut from plastic sheet into the tube so that I looked similar to the port on the U995.

The pic attached shows a close up of the finished port prior to fitting.
P1040336 - Copy.JPG
P1040334 - Copy.JPG