Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
The Scrameth's Build Diary (1st Timer!) Up to launch stage 4 or 5? Options
thescrameth
#1 Posted : 29 March 2010 23:33:11

Groups: registriert, Registered

Hi all, this is my first attempt at a build of any sorts, the tv ad got me hook line and sinker!

Got issue 1 and can't wait for the others to start coming, and I also decided to build my ship in the classic trafalgar colours.

Here is my cannon, all seems well, after reading the various forum posts i decided to turn the base plate around so the taper matches that of the cannon, and after viewing many pictures of the gun deck aboard victory, i have painted my wheels brown as they were made of wood and still are today(Maybe a little pedantic, but that's just me)

Sat waiting impatiently for the next 2 issues to come...............should be here any day now!
jay7792
#2 Posted : 30 March 2010 17:51:33

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Looking good mate, gunna start mine when I have got a few more issues.

Currently building:-

Deagostini HMS Victory

Amati Black Pearl

Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90 Scale

Caldercraft HMS Victory 1:72
Tomick
#3 Posted : 30 March 2010 18:06:19

Groups:

Good stuff thescrameth Cool
jase
#4 Posted : 02 April 2010 02:22:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

spot on for a first attempt well done mate
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
dtgray
#5 Posted : 02 April 2010 09:10:35

Good work.
Regards,

David

thescrameth
#6 Posted : 03 April 2010 22:55:40

Got tired of waiting for the next issues to come in postCursing so i bought the second issue, a good chance to practise the puddening and seizing

Here is my 1st attempt, which i don't think is too bad.Blushing

I decided to try adding extra white banding on top rather than paint the division, and i feel on my next attempt (The real one in the post LOL!) i should achieve pretty decent results.

Painted thread black initially, to give the tarred effect. Just a little loose on the banding when up ultra close (but at normal distance allows you to see the individual thread)
Also, i'm thinking of painting the white thread just to clean it up a little.

hudsonrobert49
#7 Posted : 06 April 2010 14:35:08

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Like it puddening looks good, thescrameth
Regards

Rob

Bridlington.

Built Flying Scotsman (Train). Collecting HMS VICTORY
Capt Stedders
#8 Posted : 07 April 2010 16:43:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

A most promising start! Cool

Don't forget to prep the wood before painting, (and, if you want a perfect finish, between coats too).
Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

jay7792
#9 Posted : 07 April 2010 18:50:03

thescrameth wrote:
Got tired of waiting for the next issues to come in postCursing so i bought the second issue, a good chance to practise the puddening and seizing

Here is my 1st attempt, which i don't think is too bad.Blushing

I decided to try adding extra white banding on top rather than paint the division, and i feel on my next attempt (The real one in the post LOL!) i should achieve pretty decent results.

Painted thread black initially, to give the tarred effect. Just a little loose on the banding when up ultra close (but at normal distance allows you to see the individual thread)
Also, i'm thinking of painting the white thread just to clean it up a little.

Must admit, I did the same thing!!!

Currently building:-

Deagostini HMS Victory

Amati Black Pearl

Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90 Scale

Caldercraft HMS Victory 1:72
thescrameth
#10 Posted : 21 April 2010 17:29:22

12 Pounder Cannon Re-Done!

Decided after viewing the great work done by captain stedders to pimp my cannon.

Luckily enough i bought issue 3 whilst waiting for my delivery and as such, used a few of the parts to add the iron detailing to my cannon. I also notched out the underside of the base plate so the wire is no longer visible

Also, i feel it gives a bigger depth to the gun carriage

Then for the wheels used the green stuff and a few fiddly hours later ...................

I still need to touch up the paintwork in places but other than that, 12 Pounder Cannon...............DONE

No chance of matching the cannon crest that stedders mastifully did, but i prefer it to the old vesionBigGrin

On to Re-doing the puddening on my anchor now. because it does look a little messy in macro.Cursing
dtgray
#11 Posted : 21 April 2010 18:34:38

Looking good BigGrin I know what you mean about macro, my anchor doesn't bear too close an inspection with macro either, so I'll probably wait till I've done my second anchor before I dare post any pictures LOL LOL
Regards,

David

Capt Stedders
#12 Posted : 21 April 2010 20:05:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Consider your cannon well pimped sir!

Very nice, clean work.

Cool

I'm VERY interested to know how you added that second securing ring to the sides.

(I have after spending an inordinate amount of time faffing about with brass wire, pliers and even string, developed a rather fiendish way of making 'rings' that don't shred paint and am therefore intrigued as to how you approached the problem).

Tools.

jonny7england
#13 Posted : 21 April 2010 20:31:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You did a very nice job on that cannon...11 out of 10 mate..ThumpUp John
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
tom.ganc
#14 Posted : 21 April 2010 21:56:20

Nice job mate
Great upgrade
tom.ganc
#15 Posted : 21 April 2010 22:02:01

Capt Stedders wrote:

Very nice, clean work.

Cool

I'm VERY interested to know how you added that second securing ring to the sides.

(I have after spending an inordinate amount of time faffing about with brass wire, pliers and even string, developed a rather fiendish way of making 'rings' that don't shred paint and am therefore intrigued as to how you approached the problem).

Hi

I tried to add this ring myself and I need to tell you that it does look really good. I've used copper wire (stripped CAT5). It isn't as thick as brass used for rings in carronade but it does the job. I'll post some pics when I'll start my build.
I need to get some drill bits and other stuff first.

Tom
jase
#16 Posted : 21 April 2010 22:36:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Like the idea of hiding the truck wire under the carrage good callCool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
thescrameth
#17 Posted : 22 April 2010 00:02:18

Capt Stedders wrote:

Very nice, clean work.

Cool

Thanx Stedders, a great compliment coming from you.

I should have taken more photos in the build, but i had a "spare" Cannon that went wrong on my first try, so iv'e used it to show you, it's easier this way.

Firstly, I drilled two holes next to each other, then using 0.5 mm wire threaded in a u-shape through both holes catching hold of an o ring i got from a cheap belchor chain.

then pull tight

i push it back out a little to paint it black, then pull it back in. Finally, snip the insides to clean up.

Hope this helps Guys.

Capt Stedders
#18 Posted : 22 April 2010 10:03:59

Fiendishly clever!

I was wondering how you managed to loop a second ring around one already in situ - whereas you have managed to avoid this horrifically fiddly process altogether by securing the second ring via a u-shaped bit of wire early in the build process - good thinking! The best bit being that it doesn't look obvious.

One of the best aspects of this forum is that we have many different brains working on the same conundrums which invariably results in some pretty nifty solutions and methods that can be employed.

Tools.

tom.ganc
#19 Posted : 22 April 2010 11:41:42

Capt Stedders wrote:
Fiendishly clever!

I was wondering how you managed to loop a second ring around one already in situ - whereas you have managed to avoid this horrifically fiddly process altogether by securing the second ring via a u-shaped bit of wire early in the build process - good thinking! The best bit being that it doesn't look obvious.

One of the best aspects of this forum is that we have many different brains working on the same conundrums which invariably results in some pretty nifty solutions and methods that can be employed.

Hi mate

This is my try with copper wire (stripped CAT5 cable). You can compare it to original part supplied with Carronade

Capt Stedders
#20 Posted : 22 April 2010 23:32:03

Definitely going to add some copper wire to my bits box now!

Great tip guys, cheers! ThumpUp

Tools.