Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

15 Pages 123>»
3x MP4-23 Options
Warthog
#1 Posted : 23 March 2011 11:33:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

First of all Hi to everyone and good luck with your future builds of the MP4-23.

Ok to start why the 3x? Well not that I have more money than sense but I intend to do 2 builds and leave the remaining set for either parts or collection.

The first build will be "out of box" so to speak with no modfications and the second will be a "full on" Super Detailed MP4-23 with as much extra detail as possible.

As of this morning I have not received anything from Degostini with regard to my order but that does not stop me from moving along either so I decided to pop into Smiths and buy 2 copies of the first issue for the above project. Below are a few shots of the first issue and one with the Minichamps 1:18th to show a size comparison as to how big this kit is going to be... Further updates will be added as i go along week by week and i hape you all enjoy reading about my builds as much as I'm going to enjoy doing them BigGrin

Spencer
Warthog attached the following image(s):
P1014026.jpg
P1014025.jpg
P1014024.jpg
Tomick
#2 Posted : 23 March 2011 12:07:53

Groups:

Welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing your builds Spencer ThumpUp
Zeptrader
#3 Posted : 26 March 2011 08:32:24

Groups:

Hi Spencer, what sort of details are you looking at adding?

Ive searched the net for some close up pictures of the MP4 23 and found nothing that really shows much that is not already in the model, apart from seat belts, and carbon fibre effect on some items. The days of tubes and wire from the engine seem to have been hidden away.

Warthog
#4 Posted : 27 March 2011 11:53:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Colin

I do agree that finding close up pictures of the MP4-23 are hard to come by but small details like Seat Belts and small electrical details will be added. I have also found HobbyLink Japan to always come to the rescue on a few things :-)

http://www.hlj.com/scrip...croType=Dcl&Scale=8

Spencer
Warthog
#5 Posted : 27 March 2011 22:28:03

A few shots of the lower wing section. Here I have also taken a comparison shot of a 1/18th wing, 1/12th and the 1/8th...
P1014042.jpg
P1014043.jpg
P1014041.jpg
P1014045.jpg
P1014052.jpg
scotty2hotty
#6 Posted : 31 March 2011 21:21:47

Groups: Registered

are you going to do a MP4-22 version with decals from hobbylink? is it just sponsorship differences or is there much bodywork difference?
Warthog
#7 Posted : 02 April 2011 11:09:03

scotty2hotty wrote:
are you going to do a MP4-22 version with decals from hobbylink? is it just sponsorship differences or is there much bodywork difference?

Just some small details with cables etc and Harness.Brake lines, carbon fibre exposed areas and a few engine details like bolt heads. Will get the Decals from Studio 27 also.

Already cleaning up mold lines and filling holes that should'nt be there.
scotty2hotty
#8 Posted : 02 April 2011 18:30:18

Groups: Registered

i think i may do two. one to have with all parts attached, and then one with nosecone off, wheels off etc. realised mp4-22 be hard to achieve due to body differences such higher cockpit sides. i want rain tyres though!!!! are you going to take photos of every step including mould lines and holes etc
Warthog
#9 Posted : 02 April 2011 18:45:50

Yeah as soon as I can get a few good shots then I'll upload them.. going to be a long drawn out thread this one lol
SennaMentalMe
#10 Posted : 02 April 2011 18:54:08

Groups:

BigGrin BigGrin Good luck mate, it will be interesting to watch!! BigGrin Drool Drool
Warthog
#11 Posted : 02 April 2011 19:02:40

Cheers and good luck with yours too BigGrin
Warthog
#12 Posted : 03 April 2011 20:07:16

Just a few updates of the front wing section with paint removed and sanded down carbon effect ready for primer.

bottom lower.JPG
lower paint removed.JPG
Sides paint removed.JPG
SennaMentalMe
#13 Posted : 03 April 2011 21:38:43

Groups:

BigGrin BigGrin Hi Spencer, looking good so far. A lot of work ahead methinks, though stick at it as I think it will be interesting to compare this build with your other standard build (I seem to remeber that you are doing two if I am correct, one standard, one heavily modded??)

I take it that you are remaking or modifying the front wing centre stay as you have filled the oval recess? Strange that the standard wing endplates come with the extra holes on the inner face, which you have also filled I see, as they don't seem to have any function, so why would Kyosho put them there in the first place, very strange even if they are slightly hidden by the upper wing/nose element when it gets fitted later. Maybe Mr T knows about some parts further in the build intended for these holes though I can't imagine what they might be??

What scale carbon fibre decal will you be using as I always used 'Scale Motorsports' 1/12 and 1/20 sheets plus their kevlar, etc, though I haven't seen any carbon decal in 1/8 scale? I don't think 1/12 would look too small if that is what you intend to use??

Anyway well done on your efforts so far and keep the pics coming!! Come on Wednesday .... Hurry up!! Drool Love BigGrin

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Regards ... Kev
Warthog
#14 Posted : 04 April 2011 22:36:24

Primmed and played around with some chrome paint this evening and to be honest its not come out too bad. I'm going to try another process tomorrow and see if I get better results.

Kev.. I'm going to be using the Studio27 1/12 carbon decals as the seem to be a pretty good match and likeness. I will be doing 2 builds but how long i can keep up with both is another question lol... anyway here are some pics taked this evening..
Oh and clear coat on the red wings to give a better finish.
primed endplate.JPG
chrome lower wing.JPG
high gloss red.JPG
high gloss red 2.JPG
mold lines removed.JPG
parts wing 2.JPG
parts wing.JPG
SennaMentalMe
#15 Posted : 04 April 2011 23:13:30

Groups:

BigGrin BigGrin Hi Spencer, great build so far and nice pics thanks for posting them!! ThumpUp The chrome finish you have achieved looks excellent, was it Alclad II paints that you used or something else - hope you don't mind me asking?? Looks very close to the chrome finish on the standard parts so could be useful to know what paints match for touching up, overspraying join lines, etc. as I don't like the look of the joint that is going to be happening soon between the upper and lower nose parts in the next two weeks (though it may be hidden by the decals)?

Never tried the Studio 27 carbon decals, as I said in previous post, I always used the 'Scale Motorsports' stuff which was pretty good and sits down on compound curves nicely with a touch of 'Micro Sol' and 'Micro Set', though was prone to cracking if the sheet wasn't stored flat!!

Your red wing parts look good with the clear coat oversprayed. I still have quite a lot of 'Johnson's Klear' left (discontinued now unfortunately) so will be using that as it dries quite quickly and polishes up really nice and quite scale like in the amount of shine, but does usually need two coats and a gentle buffing.

If you drop one of your builds (not literally I hope!! Blushing), which is most likely to go, the standard or the upgrade??

Well done, keep the pics coming, I will post some more of mine by the end of the week if my issue 2 arrives at the newsagents on Wednesday!!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Regards ... Kev BigGrin BigGrin
Warthog
#16 Posted : 07 April 2011 17:46:25

Kev.. paints used so far are all Halfords..Enamel Chrome (blue tin) and all other inc primer, Clear Lacquer and Gloss Black. All Large tins.

Will post a few more pics up later..

Spencer
SennaMentalMe
#17 Posted : 07 April 2011 19:57:56

Groups:

BigGrin
Quote:
Kev.. paints used so far are all Halfords..Enamel Chrome (blue tin) and all other inc primer, Clear Lacquer and Gloss Black. All Large tins.

Will post a few more pics up later..

Spencer

Thanks for that Spencer, very nice of you to so freely share your secrets!!ThumpUp ThumpUp I have used Halfords spray paints many times before for my modelling and find them excellent in the way the paint sits down over the detail and hardens to a coat that can be very highly polished with the right approach. The Halfords 'Grey (and White) Plastic Primer' is also very good. Is the Halfords Enamel Chrome that you suggest, a very close match to the paint used on the standard DeAg parts or is there a slightly noticeable difference??

I have received issue 2 from the newsagents and was going to put up some more pics myself this week, but was a bit annoyed to see the very noticeable mould lines on the sides of the upper nose section, which really does need sanding down and respraying, so I might as well go the whole hog now despite saying from the start that I was going to do a 'standard' build!! I have decided that this lovely model really warrants a more detailed approach, so, like you, I am going to be taking it slower and changing a lot of things including adding carbon fibre decal to the wings, suspension arms and any other parts that need it, so I won't be posting any more pics for a short while, whilst I gather all the materials to do the upgrades and modify the parts, then I will be back to posting my build.

Despite my initial build of the front wing being completely staisfactory, I have asked my newsagent to see if they can get me another issue 1 and I am going to start again with filler and maybe some brass sheet to remake the various vanes, as in thinner and the side vanes should be slightly curved across their chord from front to back plus of course, the carbon fibre decal and also gonna remake the stays so they are a bit finer, to make a better job of it - just couldn't resist the 'detailed' route I'm afraid!!!

Thanks again for the info, very helpful and I hope that I can offer some tips in return in the coming weeks, it will be very interesting to compare builds methinks?? ThumpUp BigGrin BigGrin

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Regards ... Kev
Warthog
#18 Posted : 07 April 2011 22:25:59

Ok here are some more shots of what I have been doing this evening.. No turning back now!!!
nose rub.jpg
Nose prime.jpg
nose black.jpg
Carbon.jpg
Warthog
#19 Posted : 07 April 2011 22:29:30

Thought I would add this one as I was thinking of doing my own stencils... just need to add the red/orange
stencil attempt.jpg
SennaMentalMe
#20 Posted : 07 April 2011 22:40:14

Groups:

BigGrin Excellent work Spencer, that's what I'm talkin'about!! ThumpUp Love Are you getting one of the (Japanese aftermarket) nose decal replacement sets for this build or are you going to hand spray all the logos with an airbrush ??

This is going to be an interesting diary and I have already decided to change my mind from a standard build and do a lot of extra work similar to what you are doing, the model is well worth it!!

The underwing aerodynamic vanes supplied with issue 2 are too thick I think, so I will be making new ones from thin brass sheet plus using some 1/12 Carbon decal. It looks like you have 'carboned' the shaped vanes on the bottom of your wing endplates - is that using the Studio 27 brand that you were talking about previously, as I have to say, it looks better than the Scale Motorsports brand I used to use, as mentioned in my previous posts?

Great build Spencer Love Drool and I look forward to some more pics, will post some of my own once I have got everything ready to go!!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Regards ... Kev