Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

15 Pages «<1112131415>
3x MP4-23 Options
MWG
#241 Posted : 24 September 2012 04:05:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Spence, a real testament to your awesome modelling skillsBigGrin cannot wait to see the end resultCool Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Warthog
#242 Posted : 24 September 2012 11:32:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

MWG wrote:
Hi Spence, a real testament to your awesome modelling skillsBigGrin cannot wait to see the end resultCool Regards Mike

Thx Mike, Kind words indeed from a very skilled Modeller as yourself.. I love popping in to your builds and they give me the urge to do a Ship as a next project..

Spence
RobbieP
#243 Posted : 25 September 2012 20:21:46

a chrome shipBigGrin mmm lol
McLaren MP4/23
Ducati 998
Stupot
#244 Posted : 25 September 2012 20:54:46

Hi Spence, Absolutely stunning workmanship.I think your finished model will be one of the best on this forum.Just wondered how you paint your model? Do you use an airbrush or spray can? Stuart.Drool
Warthog
#245 Posted : 25 September 2012 21:25:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Stupot wrote:
Hi Spence, Absolutely stunning workmanship.I think your finished model will be one of the best on this forum.Just wondered how you paint your model? Do you use an airbrush or spray can? Stuart.Drool

Hi Stuart,

Cheers for the Nice comment.. I use Alclad2 Chrome with an Aztec airbrush. Have a look back over my build and all the paints etc and some info on the Airbrush is all there..

One thing that I did'nt mention was the first attempt I had a mare as I knocked the airbrush which spilt all the contents over the car!! So i had to remove all the chrome and polish it all down again and re-do.. I would have taken a photo but if i had left it for any time while i took the photo then the chrome in liquid form would have eaten its way into the ABS.. I was very lucky to act quickly as it did'nt leave any damage behind..Crying

Spence
Tomick
#246 Posted : 25 September 2012 22:04:10

Groups:

Warthog wrote:
MWG wrote:

Thx Mike, Kind words indeed from a very skilled Modeller as yourself.. I love popping in to your builds and they give me the urge to do a Ship as a next project..

Spence

Go on Spence you know you want to BigGrin Cool
saintsman123
#247 Posted : 25 September 2012 22:32:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

great work spence, your paint skills are fantastic.

looking at your build, and some of the military modellers, it is the painting that i admire most. it is a skill that i am sadly lacking, hence i make plain varnished wooden ships.

keep up the good work, not long to go.
Come on you Jimmies
schueyking
#248 Posted : 30 September 2012 19:17:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Your build is second to none Spence!Love Love Love
Just wondering if you are going to fit a Rain light at all???
That would be the icing on an awesome cake!

ChrisBigGrin
Aras
#249 Posted : 30 September 2012 22:43:18

Hi Spence,

Where have you bought full decal sheets?
I found some (nose, rear wing) on HLJ but can't find the rest.

Cheers,

Aras
Warthog
#250 Posted : 01 October 2012 20:25:16

schueyking wrote:
BigGrin Your build is second to none Spence!Love Love Love
Just wondering if you are going to fit a Rain light at all???
That would be the icing on an awesome cake!

ChrisBigGrin

Quick answer is no mate BigGrin
Warthog
#251 Posted : 01 October 2012 20:26:38

Aras wrote:
Hi Spence,

Cheers,

Aras

Hi Aras

I got all my Decals from http://myworld.ebay.com/...88/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Much cheaper and no import tax

Spence
Aras
#252 Posted : 01 October 2012 20:43:34

Warthog wrote:
Aras wrote:
Hi Spence,

Cheers,

Aras

Hi Aras

Spence

Thx PalBigGrin , that's useful infos.
Right now, the seller is not offering anything. Anyway, I'll ask him.

I keep my fingers crossed for your project finish.
My Mclaren is in early stages - nose cone primed and waits for black&chrome. Rest of parts wait for deliveries from UK.

Regards,

Aras
Warthog
#253 Posted : 01 October 2012 21:11:28

Aras wrote:
Warthog wrote:
Aras wrote:
Hi Spence,

Cheers,

Aras

Hi Aras

Spence

My Mclaren is in early stages - nose cone primed and waits for black&chrome. Rest of parts wait for deliveries from UK.

Regards,

Aras

Your welcome Aras

Good luck with your build and if you need any help please or info please feel free to ask BigGrin

Spence
Aras
#254 Posted : 01 October 2012 21:36:27

Warthog wrote:
Aras wrote:
Warthog wrote:
Aras wrote:
Hi Spence,

Cheers,

Aras

Hi Aras

Spence

Regards,

Aras

Your welcome Aras

Good luck with your build and if you need any help please or info please feel free to ask BigGrin

Spence

Spene,

Spence,
Thanks in advance - you can be sure, I'll ask.
I'm quite an experienced modeller but there's always reason to check how others do itBigGrin .

As far I found on your thread, you dind't ripped off the red paint prior to black&chrome. Am I right? I'm afraid of missing lines separating colors, so I thought to mask away one section (red), rub off silver down to bare plastic, then prime, then golss black, and chrome. After that stage, move masking to the chromed parts and do the same with MP4 red, spraying it over white.
Do you thik, it's right choice?
The DA chrome is not that bad but body imperfections and differencies in red shad on different parts are not forgiveable in that scaleCool, so MP4 red and alclad chrome will be used.
Cheers,

Aras
Warthog
#255 Posted : 01 October 2012 22:11:14

Hi Aras

All the DA paint including the red was removed but before I did that I used a very sharp pencil scalpel to outline where the red should be..this is usefull as it then give a very gentle scribbed line to follow for masking. once that was done, all panels where coated with white primer.. I used Halfords car primer. I'm not sure what you will have there but it is an acylic base paint. Once that had cured overnight then I used Tamiya Masking tape cut into thin strips (about 2mm in width)to be able to create the curves etc ( like coach lines that custom car sprayers use) then using the un-trimmed masking tape to cover the rest of the model.. I then gave it about 3 coats of the MP4 red from Zero paints and left to dry.

Once dry the masking tape was removed as and then the MP4 red was masked to protect it then the body panels given 3 light coats of Satin Black, again from Halfords Automotive spray paints. Once cured overnight the finish was "cut/sanded" down using micromesh 4000 grit to remove any imperfections and then 6000 then 8000 and finaly 12000 to achieve the polished finish ready for the Alclad Chrome.. Aras... Do not use masking tape on the Chrome.. above is the best suggestion.. Masking tape will pull off the Chrome..

Once happy with the gloss black finish and making sure all fingerprints and any marks where removed it was then time to start with the chrome..
I started with one light coat so that I could see if there where any imperfctions that I might of missed... the chrome will show it up believe me!!.. then once happy another coat after the quick check.. then the final pass over making sure that I had every area covered.. once that was done I left the panels in a container for at least a few days to allow the chrome to cure and then with a very very very soft sable prush i dusted off the Sliver "particles" theat get left behind during the Airbrushing process...

Hope this helps to any one else who is thinking of Chroming BigGrin

Oh and one more thing... if you make a mistake you can rub off the area that your not happy with and go over again, one thing about this Chrome is that it is the very best at blending in over any areas missed etc plus you can go back later and add another coat to areas that your not happy with the finnish..

Spence
Aras
#256 Posted : 01 October 2012 22:22:37

OK, now i got itBigGrin. So before rubbing all paintwork down, I should mark the line separating colors using just sharp scalpel.
Will that line be unvisible after repaint and decals?
The scalpel line is quite thin but is it thin enough to dissapear under paint and decals?

I can't wait for chrome to shine onBigGrin .
I've just found that my mclaren red paint (Zero) is not MP4 red but its predecessor - Mclaren bright fluorescent red. I think it's the same.

Cheers,

Aras
Warthog
#257 Posted : 24 October 2012 19:12:10

Final push so adding Decals before the last few issues...
Warthog attached the following image(s):
cb1.jpg
cb2.jpg
cb3.jpg
cb4.jpg
cb5.jpg
cb6.jpg
cb7.jpg
cb8.jpg
cb9.jpg
cb10.jpg
scottww86
#258 Posted : 24 October 2012 19:21:39

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Drool looking good spence!! Wish mine looked that good! Nice work!
If at first you don't succeed........skydiving is not for you!
only1ianuk
#259 Posted : 24 October 2012 19:28:19

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Awesome work as per usual!
Aras
#260 Posted : 24 October 2012 20:27:36

This model is sick Woot