Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Ww1 horror of the trenches Options
kpnuts
#1 Posted : 03 November 2016 20:45:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all well some of you may know my son bought me some first ww model kits for my birthday then casually dropped into the conversation he would like them in a dio for his school (he's head of history) first problem, I'm ashamed to say I know next to nothing about ww1, second problem the models he bought are from different periods of said war so can't be used together, second problem solved I will do 3 or 4 vignettes showing the start to end of war.
After a bit of research I've made a start on the trench (this is for school 12 to 14 yr olds ) I want to depict how horrific it was but need advice on how far to go I intend to have a shell exploding in the trench so would it be OK to show limbs blown off.
Anyway here's my start, I realise I have to do the step up ledge and started to excavate the dugouts I realise I need to add the corrugated tin above the dugouts, also I need to find a way of making loads of 1/72 scale sandbags.

Ken's the name modeling's the game.
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 03 November 2016 21:00:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Miliput 2 part putty was always one of the preferred ways of making sandbags.

Have a look at this one for some ideas

http://miniaturesterrain...ow-to-make-sandbags.html
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Plymouth57
#3 Posted : 03 November 2016 22:10:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Ken

Tony's right, I used Milliput epoxy putty for the sandbags in my WW1 Messines diorama, and just to try something different I used DAS air-drying clay for the sandbags in the WW2 Scramble diorama. Of the two I found the DAS was slightly easier to work with as it had more 'body' or firmness to it, plus if you're going to be making loads of them it will work out a lot cheaper!Cool
As far as casualties are concerned, there would have been bits and pieces scattered everywhere on a real WW1 front line. I can remember reading a copy of Military Modelling many years ago where the subject of bodies was discussed, the general opinion of that time was to keep casualties at ground level (not being blown into the air by shell bursts etc) as "it seems to offend less".
That was back then of course, today's youngsters are far more used to 'realism' with xbox and playstation war games so you'd probably get away with a lot more these now.
Best of luck with the miles of barbed wire!!Flapper

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
kpnuts
#4 Posted : 05 November 2016 21:39:03

Hi all well i spoke to Mike and he said do what you like, he's shown them pics of the trenches that he thinks are far worse than anything I could portray so here is the next installment.

I pinched the idea of the explosion from Ian W
Obviously his was far better but in my defence I've only just started, there's no colour or smoke I've not attached bits of ladder or other debris (or body parts) 
I'm quite pleased with the outcome so far.
kpnuts
#5 Posted : 06 November 2016 19:24:05

H,i all need to cool it down a bit, I think the explosion is still too hot and still have to add debris and stuff but pleased with progress so far. I'm actually quite enjoying this even though it was sort of forced on me and is not my normal genre, maybe I should do more stuff like this.

Spal
#6 Posted : 06 November 2016 19:31:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That explosion looks great,especially in the dark Cool

Al
birdaj2
#7 Posted : 06 November 2016 19:37:56

ken

you certainly have the knack when it comes to lighting effects. I remember hat great ship diorama you did earlier in the year and the explosions on this latest build are equally very good indeed.

Good choice with the suggestion you had from Robin (plymouth57) to use DAS clay as its much easier on the fingers and your results look really good.

Look forward to seeing what else you add to this one.
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
davetwin
#8 Posted : 06 November 2016 23:06:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

As others have said the explosion is quite effective Cool

Did you make individual sandbags In the end or is it a carved wall of them, either way they look really good Cool
kpnuts
#9 Posted : 06 November 2016 23:14:32

Thanks guys, Dave I rolled out a sausage then used the back of my knife to mark the sandbags, in hindsight I should have done the top row separate as you can see that's what I did on that row, I may see if I can remove them and try to remedy that.
darbyvet
#10 Posted : 06 November 2016 23:25:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks great Ken,
the explosion effect is really cool.

Carl

kpnuts
#11 Posted : 08 November 2016 21:55:48

Hi all here is the next bit, I remodeled it a little bit, I stuck the smashed up ladder and other bits of debris, then I kept looking at it and thinking what is wrong with it? Then it dawned on me they were broken but unmarked, no scorching or burning, so I've fixed that but it still seems wrong, any suggestions.

delboy271155
#12 Posted : 09 November 2016 07:17:33

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Ken, BigGrin

That`s a remarkable result in such a short time.

WTG

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

davetwin
#13 Posted : 09 November 2016 18:09:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good Ken.

How about more dirt in the trenches as they were dirty places, maybe a puddle of water?
Plymouth57
#14 Posted : 09 November 2016 18:47:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking great Ken! You've got the ladder and debris in the explosion but I think what you might be missing is - dirt! The explosions left great craters of course, but those craters were originally earth, maybe if you ground up something the same colour as your basework and sprinkled it over the explosion that might give you the effect you're looking for.
This build brings back memories!!Blink Blushing

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
kpnuts
#15 Posted : 09 November 2016 19:25:26

Hi all here is another update.

Spal
#16 Posted : 09 November 2016 21:26:35

Looking great Ken BigGrin

Al
kpnuts
#17 Posted : 22 November 2016 21:57:59

Hi all well i finished the first bit (well I've decided it will be the second bit as there were no trenches at the start of the war so here is the start of the first one .

Here is how I did the explosion.

Well that's the basics anyway.
I thought since planes are my nemesis I should probably try and do the simpler one, I've done it as the crashed one, I know it will be rubbish but I have warned Mike I can't do planes. I've borrowed the muddy field dio to see how I visualise the crash, when I do it it will be a grassy valley or a corn field.

kpnuts
#18 Posted : 24 November 2016 21:45:35

Hi all I did say planes were my nemesis, here is where I'm at, now, I don't know why I have so much trouble with planes.

This is a simple plane I've no idea how I'm going to cope with the rigging on the tri plane, still trying to get my head round the rigging on this one.
birdaj2
#19 Posted : 24 November 2016 22:02:51

Very nice new edition to your ww1 collection.

Looking forward to your next update.
Happy Modelling

kpnuts
#20 Posted : 25 November 2016 19:51:06

Hi all here is the next update,

I may scrap the planes dio (why are planes so blooming difficult)