Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
tf64 Spitfire Seat project Options
tf64
#1 Posted : 06 November 2016 10:42:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi,

Well I have made a start on a new version of the Spitfire seat, as I have said there is nothing wrong with the original, but I would like to try and improve it for my build.

I have posted pictures showing how I started, first find a picture as near as you can to what you are trying to achieve, then trace on to thin ply and cut it out, this will be your master pattern from which you can repeat from.

Next pick materials of your choice, in my build it was balsa, as a test also it is easy to work with. If you look closely you can see I have made thin plywood sides, this is to reinforce the frame, as it will be covered with metal sides same as building the Spit, again you can see were I have glued and compressed the balsa together ready for shaping.

The next job was to shape the whole thing to look like what I am trying to achieve, this I used a mill bit and a sanding drum to get the base curve off the inner seat back, this is as far as I have built so far more to follow soon.

Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

tf64
#2 Posted : 06 November 2016 10:46:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Trev, BigGrin

That`s a neat start to building your Spitfire seat.Cool Cool

Keep up the good work and updates, I`m very interested to see how this turns out.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

tf64
#3 Posted : 06 November 2016 10:53:53

Hi,

A few more pictures on my progress with the Spitfire seat, first I made drawings from pictures, then glued and compress balsa wood to make a solid block, from a master pattern taken from my drawings I glued and shaped the chair to the master pattern to achieve a rough shape, as photo's above.

Next was to cut a master pattern from metal, this will be for the chair sides,and has to be exact as it will form the finished shape of the chair. After shaping the balsa block to the metal pattern all was left was to drill and fit rivets.

tf64
#4 Posted : 06 November 2016 11:02:08

Hi,

Moving on from the seat sides, we have the back to do, which will have the armour plate attach to it, this I cut from metal plate which I then glue to the back of the seat. When set this will have the armour plate attached to it by rivets.

tf64
#5 Posted : 06 November 2016 11:14:29

Hi all, I have moved my seat thread to here as I feel it will take up a lot of space on my Spitfire build. Apologies for all your comments you sent to me which have been lost for now, but looking forward to reading more.

Hope you understand.

Regards

Trev.

birdaj2
#6 Posted : 06 November 2016 11:36:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Trev

Its an amazing part of your build so understand why you have moved it.

As i said before it really is a true piece of craftmanship and looks the part.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
davetwin
#7 Posted : 06 November 2016 22:54:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Impressive work Trev, look forward to seeing the finished product Cool
tf64
#8 Posted : 06 November 2016 23:33:07

Hi

Nice comment's Tony thanks for that, the next part will be to fix in the inside of the back and the seat which will be riveted.

Regards

Trev.

tf64
#9 Posted : 06 November 2016 23:41:59

Hi Dave,

The seat seems to be turning out as planed but still lots to do,the next will be seat back and handle that will be tricky as the parts are hand made and very small.

Regards

Trev.

tf64
#10 Posted : 18 November 2016 21:25:22

Hi,

I thought you would be interested to see how far I have moved on with the Spitfire seat,I must admit that it has horned my modelling skills, it makes me realise just how much thought and effort and certainly forward thinking needed to create a partwork.

As you can see from the first picture I have drilled and fitted most of the rivets made from brass wire, glued pushed in and made flush, the small gap at the top will be filled with solder.

Second picture shows that I have fitted the back plate and seat back plus the seat well,cut and formed by hand and eye.

Third shows a metal rack in place, this would be used to place signal cartridges in.

Thanks for looking

Regards

Trev.

usersteve83
#11 Posted : 18 November 2016 21:29:21

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow you have certainly improved it. love the work and detail here, you should be proud
Built- Shelby Mustang, Lamborghini Huracan
Building-Spitfire, Redbull racing RB7, 3d printer, Honda CB750, Stage coach and Revell 1/400 Titanic
Shauncnh
#12 Posted : 18 November 2016 21:29:36

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking FantasticBigGrin I should think you have put I lot of time and effort into the seat and it is definitely paying off.Cool Cool

Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
Build- titanic,Skyrider drone, solar system, T72 tank
Gandale
#13 Posted : 19 November 2016 00:09:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

A classy piece of work Trev and an excellent example of what is possible with a little time, patience and of course skill..... very nicely done....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#14 Posted : 19 November 2016 09:52:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Top work as always TrevCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ModelMania
#15 Posted : 19 November 2016 10:23:57

Groups:

Brilliant work Trev and what an improvement on the original kit seat. Excellent work on the forming of the seat well, especially as you say it was all done by eye, you've achieved a perfect fit and that takes skill. I know you've still got a lot of detail to add to the seat, so it can only get better, but all of that hard work is definitely paying dividends and has to be worth it in the end? This is going to look so cool when it is fitted to the Spitfire cockpit.

Very well done mate - looks awesome!! Drool Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Nemesis
#16 Posted : 19 November 2016 10:33:59

Excellent work Trev, that seat is a credit to your skill and patience.BigGrin
alemo
#17 Posted : 19 November 2016 10:50:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great work Trev,

That seat looks the real business, terrific amount of patience required to achieve such a good result.

Alec
Built: Bluenose, Arab Dhow, HMS Bounty, Hummer H1, D51, Spitfire,E type Jaguar.
In Progress: HMS Victory, , Yamaha YZR-M1

Adapt, improvise, overcome.
birdaj2
#18 Posted : 19 November 2016 11:12:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Trev

That looks fantastic.

A real detailed piece of work and so well executed.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
tigerace
#19 Posted : 19 November 2016 12:35:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That really looks the partDrool BigGrin a mini model on it`s ownLove Cool well doneBigGrin regards Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

davetwin
#20 Posted : 19 November 2016 13:44:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Trev, your efforts have definitely been worthwhile, your seat looks very impressive Cool