Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Greys RB 7 build (display body fully DONE) Options
greyhawk
#1 Posted : 21 November 2016 13:00:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

The build is accelerated, not the car. Not yet anyway.

So pretty much exactly 4 weeks ago to this day I got my hands on an unbuilt RB7 and I thought to myself "hey this'll be a nice thing to build up over the cold winter days and get it ready to drive in spring"

Yesterday I noticed I was a little bit ahead of my schedule. And by a tiny bit I mean I'm 80% through the entire build.

This is an attempt to try and remember what happened during my mindless building spree.

Detail posts incoming.
greyhawk
#2 Posted : 21 November 2016 13:10:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Delivery 1 deals entirely with the show bodys front and rear spoilers. A nice way to ease into the build, but still produce recognizable results.

Delivery 2 sees the rear spoiler finished, also the left front tire is built and the first parts of the suspension are put together. I delay building the front shock until i can do both at once.

Delivery 3: Another tire is built as well as more of the front suspension and first parts of the steering. Decorating the helmet is nervewracking but entirely rewarding.

Delivery 4: More work on the front suspension and steering

Delivery 5: The steering servo is installed and the nose test fit.

At this point my neighbour leaves a note on the car "Why Red Bull? Why not Mercedes?". People REALLY don't like Red Bull here anymore.
greyhawk
#3 Posted : 21 November 2016 13:18:21

Delivery 6: Ever more steering and the shock mount. Also the left wheel is installed.

Delivery 7: Same as before, just on the other side, also shocks.

Delivery 8: Steering track rods and the main chassis. I take the opportunity to roll the whole thing through my apartment making motor noises. My cat looks at me like I'm crazy, which is weird because I don't have a cat anymore.

Delivery 9: More work on the rear chassis and first parts of the rear suspension

Delivery 10: Working on the differential

greyhawk
#4 Posted : 21 November 2016 13:29:13

At this point I switch into overdrive and don't even bother to mark points between deliveries anymore by taking a photo. I have completely slipped into buildbuildbuildbuild-mode

I next remember taking a photo when the differential and rear suspension including drive shafts is finished. All that's missing are the shocks. You'll also note the rear spoiler was installed.

The gear box and main drive shaft is installed. The first part of the engine, the crank case looks at me teasingly. I can not resist.

Things fade into grey. An ever swirling limbo of nothingness clouds my mind. When I come to the engine is done and the rear tires are installed. There may have been another encounter with my dead cat.

The engine is installed after all the other mechanical parts are added and production switches over to the electrical parts.

Which is where I am now. Production has stalled for a little bit while I wait for some replacement parts, hopefully to continue next week at the latest.

michael.rolph
#5 Posted : 21 November 2016 14:03:05

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good.

Any idea how many hours it has taken so far?
greyhawk
#6 Posted : 21 November 2016 14:14:07

michael.rolph wrote:
Looking good.

Any idea how many hours it has taken so far?

One can easily get through most issues in 10 minutes or less, so about 13 hours tops, I would guess.

That is excluding the helmet. That one took me about 3 hours with frequent pauses to soothe my frazzled nerves.

Also the shocks had a few hours each where they were just standing around waiting to get air bubble free, but that's not actual "working time".
darbyvet
#7 Posted : 21 November 2016 15:49:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Looks great Greyhawk!!!!

Carl

greyhawk
#8 Posted : 28 November 2016 14:28:14

Gonna have to pull this out of the BotY race. Unforseen circumstances mean this build is no longer hyper accelerated and will not finish in time.
greyhawk
#9 Posted : 02 December 2016 10:12:36

All the RC electronics and the tank and so forth have now been installed. Had to replace the fuel lines as the originals apparently were too old (its a kit grabbed off ebay) and broke upon trying to install them.

Not it just needs the gas/brake levers and we're ready for a first test run of the electromechanics.

darbyvet
#10 Posted : 02 December 2016 15:12:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Looking forward to seeing this in action greyhawk.Are you any where near Nürburgring ?

Carl

greyhawk
#11 Posted : 02 December 2016 15:53:23

darbyvet wrote:
Looking forward to seeing this in action greyhawk.Are you any where near Nürburgring ?

Carl

About a two hours drive away, yeah.
darbyvet
#12 Posted : 02 December 2016 16:14:09

How awesome would that be if they let you race it there and followed it in a chase car filming it.

Carl

greyhawk
#13 Posted : 29 December 2016 00:03:52

So I'm done with the showroom body apart from some small details.

Installation was.... not easy. I would advise not installing the "Rauch" wind panels and turning vanes and mirrors until after you're done putting on the body. otherwise it's a recipe for disaster. I broke both mirrors (can be glued again) and afterwards deinstalled the other parts I mentioned. They'll go back up with the other minor details

The body seems to have trouble staying on correctly because it is only fixed to the model in front. I'll be fixing some lead analogue to the back of the body to help it stay down.

I realize this is first and foremost a racer, so it'll be interesting to see how things turn out in the spring when I'll be rebuilding the model into racing mode.

In any case, the build so far has made me want to build another F1 display model that's less abstracted, so I've just ordered the MP4/23. You should too, it's a steal right now at boxing day prices.
greyhawk
#14 Posted : 03 January 2017 02:26:37

Aaaaand we're done. All the extra detail has been added. Now this is going to stay this way until spring when it's going to be rebuilt into the racing configuration.

RM1
#15 Posted : 03 January 2017 06:19:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great looking result.BigGrin
Malc.
Tomick
#16 Posted : 03 January 2017 08:15:59

Groups:

Looks great, well done Cool
Gandale
#17 Posted : 03 January 2017 11:33:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice piece of work, looks great.....Drool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#18 Posted : 03 January 2017 17:35:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks great greyhawk Cool

I like Carl's idea of racing it around the Nürburgring, that would be s much fun LOL although I'd very surprised if they agreed to it Confused
greyhawk
#19 Posted : 03 January 2017 17:59:50

Well, it turns out I recently befriended a RC car driver that contends in international championships and lives right one village over from mine, so maybe we can get something done like that.
ModelMania
#20 Posted : 03 January 2017 18:31:03

Groups:

Looks great Michael and should be a lot of fun for you in the spring, well done on completing your build!! Cool ThumpUp

davetwin wrote:
... I like Carl's idea of racing it around the Nürburgring, that would be so much fun LOL although I'd very surprised if they agreed to it Confused

At about 14 miles long, the old 'Nordschleife' circuit would mean several stops to refill the tank on your RB7 too just to complete one lap, but what fun it would be? Nice idea though!! BigGrin Blink Drool

Kev Smile