Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Finished Build - troubleshooting Options
thehaggard
#1 Posted : 02 December 2016 15:58:30

Groups: Registered

Hello. For the past 12 years I have been living in Taiwan. The 7-11 chain in Taiwan for 2016 sold the idbox printer one issue at a time each week for a year. I have all the boxes now, but have moved back to the USA. I have finished building the printer. I have plugged it in, connected USB, and gotten the software to connect to the printer. The fans come on so power is not an issue. The green icon lights on the computer screen, the software says connected... but no other communication. The lower part of the screen says waiting for temperature and all commands pile up in the queue and never get sent.

Since my books are all in Chinese, I have been trying to glean the forum for info... my chinese is limited... especially reading. Any troubleshooting assistance would be appreciated.

I am familiar with 3D delta printers. I even had some parts missing and broken from the shipment from Taiwan to USA and just designed new parts in CAD and printed them on my Delta printer.

File Attachment(s):
IMG_0887.jpg (1,325kb) downloaded 45 time(s).
IMG_0872.jpg (1,433kb) downloaded 33 time(s).
IMG_0875.jpg (1,635kb) downloaded 32 time(s).
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 02 December 2016 18:42:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

HI there ,
welcome to the forum.I am forum support for USA.

So I assume you went through all the set up protocols listed in the instructions? Were you able to understand how to set up the printer given the language problems? You need to ensure the x,y and z axis motors are working and you need to level the table and make sure the nozzle clearance is correct before you start printing or you could damage your printer.

The issue may be the g code of the print.In many 3d files there is a g code instruction at the start of the g code which tells repetier host to wait until the print bed is up to temperature.The IDBOX printer does not have a heated print bed so the program never gets beyond this step. Here is a description of how to fix it and my protocol for printing.I have been printing with my IDBOX for 3 months and it is working really well.

Did you check the g code to see if it is waiting for the bed to heat up.I had the same problem and discovered there was a command at the start of the g code that told the printer to waiting until the bed had heated up before starting the print so repetier host wont print because the bed is not heated.This happens even if you turn off the bed in the manual control screen.

If you look at the g code in the g code editor screen you will see a command to wait for the printer bed to heat up;

The command is M190 S50

M190 refers to the bed and the S50 tells repetier host to wait until the bed is heated to 50 degrees to start printing.

All you need to do is change the code to M190 S0 and the printer should start printing.

Here is how I do my prints;

1.Load the object file into repetier host. Scale it to the size I want, center it and then slice it with curaengine.

2.Once the slicing has finished I check the g code to look for the M190 command and make sure the s is set to 0.

3.I always use a raft because often the first part of the print doesnt stick well to the bed (common to all 3d printers).The raft makes sure that once you actually start printing the object the filament is sticking down really well.

4.I then go to the manual control screen and turn the extruder on.

5.For PLA I set the extruder temp to 210 degrees.

6.Once the extruder is at working temp I press on the extruder button (set to 10) in the manual control to extrude so filament to see if it is melting OK.I find it is easier to do this now before the print table is really close to the print head.

7.I then go to the print menu and start the print. The printer will home the x and y axis and then the print bed will lower all the way down to it home position for the z axis and then move back up to the print head.As it gets close to the print head (within 20mm) the print head should start moving to the center of the print bed.The filament will start extruding.

8. The raft prints first.Then it will print your object.There is a timer telling you how long the print will take.

Carl

Let me know if this helps or you need further asistance

Tomick
#3 Posted : 02 December 2016 18:54:44

Groups:

As a normal rule, the UK site does not provide assistance with product purchased from countries which have foreign language content, its down to those countries provide the support for such.
I must say that it seems a little odd as to why anyone would purchase what is complex project which has unfamiliar language content, in effect the likelyhood of having problems was more than likely.

Our US forum support will try and assist your needs, though you should be aware that any incorrect assembly as a result of having Japanese instructions or not being able to understand the set-up and test info, could well mean that it's difficult to pinpoint problems.
thehaggard
#4 Posted : 03 December 2016 04:15:24

darbyvet wrote:
HI there ,

So I assume you went through all the set up protocols listed in the instructions? Were you able to understand how to set up the printer given the language problems? You need to ensure the x,y and z axis motors are working and you need to level the table and make sure the nozzle clearance is correct before you start printing or you could damage your printer.

I can't get to any of your listed steps. The software connects... sees the printer... but all commands stay in the queue. The bottom of the software window says that it is waiting on temperature readings... which never come. The fans spin, but no commands from the software are sent so I can't test the motors or level the bed.
thehaggard
#5 Posted : 03 December 2016 04:17:59

Tomick wrote:
As a normal rule, the UK site does not provide assistance with product purchased from countries which have foreign language content, its down to those countries provide the support for such.
I must say that it seems a little odd as to why anyone would purchase what is complex project which has unfamiliar language content, in effect the likelyhood of having problems was more than likely.

Our US forum support will try and assist your needs, though you should be aware that any incorrect assembly as a result of having Japanese instructions or not being able to understand the set-up and test info, could well mean that it's difficult to pinpoint problems.

Well... I lived there. So, not so odd... as I said in the post. Didn't even KNOW that the product was available outside of the country I lived in until later. And it was Chinese, not Japanese... and since I lived there 12 years I have some ability to read. I also stated that I have some experience with 3D printers...

Didn't find a US site in my google search for help...and if I go to the US site and log into the forums I am right back here... so how do I stop bothering you and reach only US forums?
darbyvet
#6 Posted : 03 December 2016 07:19:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

thehaggard wrote:
darbyvet wrote:
HI there ,

I can't get to any of your listed steps. The software connects... sees the printer... but all commands stay in the queue. The bottom of the software window says that it is waiting on temperature readings... which never come. The fans spin, but no commands from the software are sent so I can't test the motors or level the bed.

what happens when you try manual control? Does it still not move? Have you changed the bed temperature setting to zero in the settings panel?Can you provide some screenshots of what you are seeing

Carl

Tomick
#7 Posted : 03 December 2016 09:39:43

Groups:

thehaggard wrote:
Tomick wrote:

Well... I lived there. So, not so odd... as I said in the post. Didn't even KNOW that the product was available outside of the country I lived in until later. And it was Chinese, not Japanese... and since I lived there 12 years I have some ability to read. I also stated that I have some experience with 3D printers...

Didn't find a US site in my google search for help...and if I go to the US site and log into the forums I am right back here... so how do I stop bothering you and reach only US forums?
This site is the combined USA and UK site. When you purchased it, you would not have found a US site for help as it was a Chinese product, it only appeared in the USA this year which was as a result of the UK release this year, which at great cost had been translated into English.
My point is that you was aware at the point of purchase that the instructions were Chinese, which if you was not fully understanding of Chinese regardless of Printer experience, you was always going to fall into difficulty simply because of the amount of information that is provided in terms of set-up and testing, "some experience with 3D printers" is no where near enough to make this machine operable if you cannot fully read the magazine information. Ultimately what you are going to need is a full set of English text instructions, simply because our U.S. support cannot refer you to any of the points in the instructions if you are unable to read the version you have.
What I will do is speak with Editorial to see if we can let you have a full set of English instructions in PDF format, though I must say that this is not common practice where product has been supplied with its own magazine version.
thehaggard
#8 Posted : 03 December 2016 13:22:37

darbyvet wrote:
[quote=thehaggard][quote=darbyvet]what happens when you try manual control? Does it still not move? Have you changed the bed temperature setting to zero in the settings panel?Can you provide some screenshots of what you are seeing

Carl

There is no bed temperature. It's just a piece of plexiglas with buildtac on it. There are no parts or steps for a heated bed.

Manual control... help me here... you mean the window in the software in which you can manually click movement buttons to move the axis? That is the very thing the instructions say to start with... and I get nothing but a queue that says "8 commands unsent" or whatever number. They will not send to the printer because it not getting temperature readings. The software says connected, and the command line says the printer is seen.

I am wondering if the thermometer is broken.

Thank you,
M
thehaggard
#9 Posted : 03 December 2016 13:33:13

Tomick wrote:
[quote=thehaggard][quote=Tomick]Ultimately what you are going to need is a full set of English text instructions, simply because our U.S. support cannot refer you to any of the points in the instructions if you are unable to read the version you have.
What I will do is speak with Editorial to see if we can let you have a full set of English instructions in PDF format, though I must say that this is not common practice where product has been supplied with its own magazine version.

Thank you. I appreciate every point of that response. Living in Taiwan for over a decade, I buy things I Taiwan. I started on the weekly purchase of the printer at a time I was surrounded by Chinese speaking STEM students... it was assumed that I would be building it with their assistance. Then a sudden move back to the USA last month puts me in this situation. It isn't like I just lived in the USA and had a whim to buy a Chinese product.

My chinese is not perfect, but you could refer me to a point in the instructions. I have some ability to read them. I found the instructions to be quite clear, illustrated well, and understandable even with my limited reading.

An electrical engineer friend and I have gone over every step and still see no errors of my build. So far, my debugging leads me to believe that either the thermometer is malfunctioning or some related issue.

I thank you very much for the effort to get the English PDF! I do, even if you are unable due to policy. I am fairly sure this is a debugging issue rather than a construction mistake, but I could be wrong.

Thanks again. -M
darbyvet
#10 Posted : 03 December 2016 15:28:03

thehaggard wrote:
darbyvet wrote:
[quote=thehaggard][quote=darbyvet]what happens when you try manual control? Does it still not move? Have you changed the bed temperature setting to zero in the settings panel?Can you provide some screenshots of what you are seeing

Carl

There is no bed temperature. It's just a piece of plexiglas with buildtac on it. There are no parts or steps for a heated bed.

M

Yes that is true, but repetier host doesnt know the print bed is not heated so you have to tell it that the printer does not have a heated bed and you have to make sure the g code software has the correct setting.

Manual control... help me here... you mean the window in the software in which you can manually click movement buttons to move the axis? That is the very thing the instructions say to start with... and I get nothing but a queue that says "8 commands unsent" or whatever number. They will not send to the printer because it not getting temperature readings. The software says connected, and the command line says the printer is seen.

Yes that is correct.You should be able to move the print bed manually.You can also turn the print head heater on and off.If you manually turn the heater on you should see the temp setting start to go up.If you damaged the thermistor during the build it also may not be working.

I think the issue may be with your printer drivers. What kind of PC and operating system are you running? Did you try a different USB port.

Carl

PS

I would strongly advise against loading any 3d print file into repetier host until you have the printer working properly and calibrated or you run the risk of damaging the printer.

thehaggard
#11 Posted : 03 December 2016 20:26:15

darbyvet wrote:
thehaggard wrote:
darbyvet wrote:

Carl

M

Yes that is true, but repetier host doesnt know the print bed is not heated so you have to tell it that the printer does not have a heated bed and you have to make sure the g code software has the correct setting.

Yes that is correct.You should be able to move the print bed manually.You can also turn the print head heater on and off.If you manually turn the heater on you should see the temp setting start to go up.If you damaged the thermistor during the build it also may not be working.

I think the issue may be with your printer drivers. What kind of PC and operating system are you running? Did you try a different USB port.

Carl

PS

I would strongly advise against loading any 3d print file into repetier host until you have the printer working properly and calibrated or you run the risk of damaging the printer.

OKAY NOW! This IS helpful. Did not know about the software needing to set the bed temp without a bed heater. As soon as I can, I will try it. Perhaps not for a while as I work weekends. But this is a good debug step. Thank you!

If I try manual control, the queue just adds unsent steps. Nothing is sent to the printer. The window starts with 5 unsent steps every time, then I click on a manual movement of 10 for any axis and it then says 6 unsent steps and so on. States connected, states communicating, but nothing sent. I suspect the temperature issue is trying to be resolved in the queue first.

The drivers are not an issue, I am using OSx Sierra 10.12.1 on a Mac and the OSx version of Repeiter from the DeAgostini (TW) website. I even tried the official Repeiter software from the developer's site with exact same results.

I will attempt the heated bed setting issue tomorrow or perhaps monday. Thank you, that was a step in the right direct and renewed my hope!
thehaggard
#12 Posted : 04 December 2016 21:03:43

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Tracking down the heating bed problem got me poking around more... and by accident I saw the the USB communication speed was set to the wrong speed... MUCH too high. Setting it back to 115200 solved all problems and now the commands are sent, the motors all respond to each axis!

Will level, calibrate and print soon.

Thanks!

-M
birdaj2
#13 Posted : 04 December 2016 22:04:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really pleased that you have got the machine sorted.

The forum has some really top people to guide and assist and i must be honest this one is to technical for my understanding.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
thehaggard
#14 Posted : 04 December 2016 22:06:31

birdaj2 wrote:
Really pleased that you have got the machine sorted.

The forum has some really top people to guide and assist and i must be honest this one is to technical for my understanding.

Thank you! Me too!

Now it all seems to be working, however the Y-home seems to be wonky. X and Z home are great. Debugging.
Gandale
#15 Posted : 04 December 2016 22:14:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to hear you have managed to progress with the troubleshooting, hope all the problems are resolved real soon and we get the chance to see how the printing goes.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
darbyvet
#16 Posted : 04 December 2016 22:21:36

thehaggard wrote:
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Tracking down the heating bed problem got me poking around more... and by accident I saw the the USB communication speed was set to the wrong speed... MUCH too high. Setting it back to 115200 solved all problems and now the commands are sent, the motors all respond to each axis!

Thanks!

-M

Excellent.I hope you will post some pictures of your prints.Dont forget to change the g code as I mentioned above when you start printing.

Carl

darbyvet
#17 Posted : 04 December 2016 22:24:28

After you have calibrated your printer I would recommend downloading this calibration test from thingiverse so you can see how well you did with your table levelling etc....

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:704409

Carl

thehaggard
#18 Posted : 04 December 2016 23:09:36

Gandale wrote:
Great to hear you have managed to progress with the troubleshooting, hope all the problems are resolved real soon and we get the chance to see how the printing goes.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

THANKS!
thehaggard
#19 Posted : 04 December 2016 23:12:25

darbyvet wrote:
thehaggard wrote:
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks!

-M

Excellent.I hope you will post some pictures of your prints.Dont forget to change the g code as I mentioned above when you start printing.

Carl

Tracked down the Y axis home problem to the black tab not triggering the sensor. It was too short. I made a new one that was 2mm longer. It works and clears all obstacles.

I have loaded in a few STLs and found no such command. Since my own Delta Printer has no heated bed, all my own gcode is without such a command as well.

Started a print, watched the temp of the extruder rise. All good. Ended the print before actual extrusion (no PLA loaded) and will now finish set up, leveling and debugging before printing.
thehaggard
#20 Posted : 04 December 2016 23:13:37

darbyvet wrote:
After you have calibrated your printer I would recommend downloading this calibration test from thingiverse so you can see how well you did with your table levelling etc....

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:704409

Carl

Thanks. I used one like it on my first printer. I'll try this one.