Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Samurai Flag Options
tnequette
#1 Posted : 07 December 2016 16:33:54

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I have a question regarding the flag and the pole which would be appropriate for the Samurai Armor Kit. If you have read my build diary you may know that I have just finished this kit. Now I would like to add some accessories to it while building Date his new glass case.

- Battle Flag and Pole: How long would the pole be? The only Masamune flag was a rectangular one, all black with a gold disk placed long side in the pole, with a jib supporting the short side. The disk was close to the top of the flag. Dimensions would help. Was the "disc" simply solid yellow or could it have been the family's "mon"? Would the pole be bamboo or hard wood?

- Scale swords.

- I am contemplating a case with a solid panel back. Any recommendations for material to cover it to fit the theme would be welcome. Plan to start searching fabric sources.

Any other thoughts and/or ideas are more than welcome.

It looks beautiful and was a fun project. I t just needs to be presented correctly.

Thanks,

Tom Nequette

tnequette
#2 Posted : 07 December 2016 16:38:12

Oh, should have noted that I have this great book on Date Masamune and it has many museum shots and details. Unfortunately I can not read Japanese!Confused
jaxenro
#3 Posted : 07 December 2016 17:05:59

I was thinking of a folding screen behind it like one of these

http://japanesescreens.net/genji.html
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 07 December 2016 18:52:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin A couple of sites of interest for you below:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimono

And

https://medievalstuff.wo...apanese-sashimono-flag/

If you Google 'Sashimono' you should get lots of hits to find what your after. Also there are company's making these flags but seem on the expensive side:-

http://shop.japanese-arm...Sashimono-Banner-BNR.htm
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

birdaj2
#5 Posted : 07 December 2016 19:13:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

tnequette wrote:
I have a question regarding the flag and the pole which would be appropriate for the Samurai Armor Kit. If you have read my build diary you may know that I have just finished this kit. Now I would like to add some accessories to it while building Date his new glass case.

- Battle Flag and Pole: How long would the pole be? The only Masamune flag was a rectangular one, all black with a gold disk placed long side in the pole, with a jib supporting the short side. The disk was close to the top of the flag. Dimensions would help. Was the "disc" simply solid yellow or could it have been the family's "mon"? Would the pole be bamboo or hard wood?

- Scale swords.

- I am contemplating a case with a solid panel back. Any recommendations for material to cover it to fit the theme would be welcome. Plan to start searching fabric sources.

Any other thoughts and/or ideas are more than welcome.

It looks beautiful and was a fun project. I t just needs to be presented correctly.

Thanks,

Tom Nequette

To

Just a suggestion but have you considered using a mirror backing so all of the detail at the rear of the armour can be seen?
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
tnequette
#6 Posted : 07 December 2016 20:24:54

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the recommendations and websites. Will explore all. I estimate the needed flag would be in the area of 1.5" wide by 4" long. How long should the pole be? A good guesstimate can be make from the websites. The mirror idea was on my radar and actually makes sense as the case will probably against a wall. Am thinking of a solid top with a LED battery puck light imbedded vs a glass one. Panels are good for color if I can find one to fit! Actually wallpaper has come to mind.

THEN you have the table to put this sucker on!

Tons of more fun. Date will be expensive well beyond the kit cost!BigGrin Crying Cursing

Tom
birdaj2
#7 Posted : 07 December 2016 23:36:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Tom

Some rather nice fabrics here that might give you some more ideas

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/japanese-print-fabric

Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
tnequette
#8 Posted : 08 December 2016 00:48:34

Tony,

If I don't do the mirror, this is exactly what I looking for. Some of them really worked for me. I should be able to source this over here. One yard of fabric from England would cost more to ship than the cost of the fabric.

So, it will either be a mirror or something like this. The boss will tell me.

Thanks,

Tom
jaxenro
#9 Posted : 08 December 2016 13:51:58

Check eBay. Things like this aren't too pricey and at just under 36" tall would be perfect

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...f7f82:g:FMYAAOSwMSlXAxhR
jaxenro
#10 Posted : 10 December 2016 02:28:31

tnequette wrote:
Oh, should have noted that I have this great book on Date Masamune and it has many museum shots and details. Unfortunately I can not read Japanese!Confused

What is this book I would like to get it
tnequette
#11 Posted : 10 December 2016 17:54:37

Jaxenro,

The book was obtained off e-bay. As there is not an english letter in the whole thing I can't give more. However I just did a google search on Date Masamune and saw it in the images. Click on the "more images" and it is on the second row. Not much help but my paper work is gone. Lots of references and pictures here. If you find a scale sword set let me know.

Tom
jaxenro
#12 Posted : 11 December 2016 00:42:26

Hi Tom
I sent an email to one of those companies in China that offers hand forged samurai swords to see if they will do a half scale one will let you know.

Does the book have a isbn number on the cover or first page or so?
tnequette
#13 Posted : 11 December 2016 01:34:57

jaxerno,

There is not a arabic numeral in this book. And after all this time there is little in it which is not on the net. It will simply reside by my complete model. Not a big deal.

Tom
birdaj2
#14 Posted : 11 December 2016 12:31:41

Tom

I was looking at the 1:2 sword question. The only other thing i found is a tutorial on making your own. Handles were sometimes colourful sometimes just black and embroidery silks might be an option for that.

Anyhow here are the 2 links i found that maybe of interest.

This one is for a diy 1:6 scale but maybe that could be enlarged.

https://radtoyreview.com...6-sword-by-paul-benson/

And this amazon link might give you some more ideas on display.

https://www.amazon.co.uk...p;keywords=Date+masamune
Happy Modelling

tnequette
#15 Posted : 11 December 2016 19:12:08

Tony,

Thanks for this. I can handle the fabrication of the swords as described. Really do not even need the blades and the sword stand is no great shakes.

Just because Date is finished, and under a plastic dry cleaning cover, the journey with this model is far from over. Presentation is everything. have decided that a 48" rubbed semi gloss back pedestal with the glass case on top at the same dimensions may be good. Sort of an obelisk structure. Perhaps LED lights in the base or some in the top, or both. Hell, go for the gold!Cool

Well, my 2017 cable car build may be a bit slow to start. Such is life. Too much time and money invested now to stop. I still can not convince the boss to put him in the living room.Huh

We can now say Merry Christmas again over here so, Merry Christmas!BigGrin

Tom
birdaj2
#16 Posted : 11 December 2016 19:30:55

Tom

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Hope you have a fun time.

And the best wishes for the new year.
Happy Modelling

jaxenro
#17 Posted : 13 December 2016 14:26:05

This is a good overview on making the parts for a Katana

http://www.zatoichi.de/katana_01/index.htm

check out the links page as well lots of good links and info
jaxenro
#18 Posted : 17 December 2016 02:49:48

tnequette wrote:
Presentation is everything. have decided that a 48" rubbed semi gloss back pedestal with the glass case on top at the same dimensions may be good. Sort of an obelisk structure. Perhaps LED lights in the base or some in the top, or both. Hell, go for the gold!Cool

Would love to see some pics