Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Chroming using Alcad II Options
forgotmylogin
#1 Posted : 16 December 2016 21:49:52

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I thought I'd share this technique and my first experiences of using it with you all. I've seen it mentioned on here before but not in any great detail, so hope to expand on that for those that haven't used it before.

Normally it's used in conjunction with stripping the chrome plated parts that come with some kits, particularly vehicles.

In this case, I am using an old exhaust from a defunct kit.

As you can see, it already had some paint applied, which I should have really stripped first, but the purposes of this post, wasn't really needed. I just gave it a light sand with some 1500 grit wet.

First job is to prime it. I used Alcad II white microfiller primer, which is pre-thinned for airbrushing.

I'm only doing a small section of the exhaust, so only primed the area I am working on:

After that had dried, I gave it a coat of Alcad II Gloss Black base coat. This is critical to achieving the chrome look:

Next up is the Alcad II Chrome:

This step is critical to get right, and takes some practice, as you can see from the next photos. The trick is not to spray direct on, but spray it at an angle, about 45 degrees. And LESS IS MORE for this. If you put too much on, you will instantly loose the chrome effect and you will not be able to get it back without stripping back to plastic and starting again. In the photo's below, you can see for yourself the differences between the left and right pipes.

Obviously, this really was a quick and dirty test...more for my own benefit really. There should have been a lot more preperation and between coat sanding etc, but hopefully it should still give you an idea of the affect achievable with this.

michu
#2 Posted : 11 February 2017 20:09:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

A few extra tips:

- Using Alclad's Gloss Black Base is not necessarily the best idea. The labelling is a bit misleading and what they don't tell you, is that's actually an enamel product. And not a good enamel on top of that: in certain conditions - or maybe with random bottles, who knows - it never fully dries. It means anything you spray with this will be very prone to scuffs, catching fingerprints etc. And the "never" part is not an exaggeration, I have stuff that's been sprayed a year ago and still becomes tacky as soon as it gets just a bit heat from the fingers. Not recommended.

- Instead, for a beautiful and durable base coat, use Tamiya X-1 thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner (MLT) - about 60% X-1 and 40% MLT. It goes smooth like a dream. Extra trick: while the paint is still wet, mist it with pure MLT which will magically level and smooth out the paint. Leave for a day to fully dry. The smoother is finish in this step, the better chrome will turn out.

- Then the chrome goes, exactly like described by the OP. Best if sprayed with low pressure - 10 psi or less - and from a distance, very slowly building the effect.

Alternatively instead of the last step, I can recommend buffing with Ushi van der Rosten's chrome buffing powder. Just don't wait that long after painting black, 6-10h is perfect for the powder to still be able to bind with the surface.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/