Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
1/32 Tamiya F-16CJ Block 50 (60315) Options
ModelMania
#21 Posted : 12 January 2017 11:05:15

Groups:

Looks a stunning kit Dave, a lot of parts and with all of the extra PE stuff you have it should keep you busy for the rest of the year!!

Good luck in the competition Dave, a great choice and can't wait to see this build underway. Drool Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Tomick
#22 Posted : 12 January 2017 11:20:17

Groups:

Lovely looking kit and one of my favourite US aircraft, good luck wit the build, should be a stunner if your Phantom was anything to go by ThumpUp
davetwin
#23 Posted : 12 January 2017 22:46:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Thanks all, really appreciate it BigGrin

I've got some micromesh on order and will use the spare cockpit to practice on.

I've just started compiling a paint list and converting to my paint of choice, Mr Hobby Aqueous, to then fill in the gaps in my stores.

For the metallics I will be using the Vallejo Metal Colour paints as I recently purchased an almost complete set, I also have a couple of Mr Colour Metals that are buffable so hopefully should get a nice finish on the engine BigGrin

I will hopefully get started very soon.

Thanks for watching BigGrin
davetwin
#24 Posted : 15 January 2017 18:57:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have now officially started BigGrin

After ordering a set of micromesh pads off of ebay I thought I would start with the cockpit. Throwing caution to wind I went straight in with the tinted cockpit I was going to use BigGrin

So, I kicked off by wet sanding the seem with 3600 grit micromesh and slowly worked my way up to 12000.

I then did a 3 stage polish using Tamiya polishing compounds to finish it off.

I surprised myself with the result, took a lot of time mind you, but absolutely well worth the effort. Just the little rear glass part to do now BigGrin

Some pictures to show the finish, the first picture shows how noticeable the seam actually was. The cockpit glass is the only real niggle I have with this kit so.

Also bear in mind that it hasn't been future'd yet Cool

davetwin attached the following image(s):
P1020287.JPG
P1020289.JPG
P1020290.JPG
P1020294.JPG
birdaj2
#25 Posted : 15 January 2017 19:03:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Dave

Nice start on your build.

Not sure if you have seen the following product which has been launched as "Future Floor Polish" as its known on some continents is no more so AK Interactive have brought this out.

2 versions one being your clear part dip and they do one under a similar name as a high gloss varnish.

Always pays to look around on price because I think I have seen it lower cost than on this site.

http://www.modelsrgo.co....t-gauzy-agent-100ml.html
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
arpurchase
#26 Posted : 15 January 2017 20:08:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice start Dave and the micromesh worked a treatCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#27 Posted : 15 January 2017 22:26:55

Thanks guys, I was really nervous when I started sanding it, but little by little it smoothed out.

Thanks for that link Tony, I will check out the dip. My gloss coat of choice is Alclad Aqua Gloss, it only comes in a small bottle but it goes a really long way and dries hard as nails.
darbyvet
#28 Posted : 15 January 2017 23:55:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice job on the canopy Dave.

Carl

delboy271155
#29 Posted : 16 January 2017 10:03:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

That canopy looks real good.Cool

Brave move to do that if not done before, but the results speak for themselves. WTG

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Nemesis
#30 Posted : 16 January 2017 15:33:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very well done on the canopy, I bet your heart was in your mouth during the sanding!Blink BigGrin
Spal
#31 Posted : 16 January 2017 15:37:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great job on the canopy Dave time well spent.

Al
davetwin
#32 Posted : 16 January 2017 17:49:00

Thanks all for stopping by and your comments.

My heart certainly was in my mouth doing this Blink at one point I actually thought what have I done when it just,looked a mess Crying but I persevered gradually going through the grits and after what seemed an age it came out like that. Drool
Gandale
#33 Posted : 16 January 2017 22:42:39

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

To build something special Dave takes a great deal of time an patience, looking at the results you've achieved shows you have both in abundance... beautiful work and well done.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
ModelMania
#34 Posted : 17 January 2017 13:29:47

Groups:

Excellent work on that canopy Dave, very brave of you to attempt something like that, especially as it is on a clear part where you can't cover any mistakes with paint, but perseverance and growing confidence got you there in the end and you learnt a new technique from it too. Good stuff, that Micromesh isn't it?!!

Very well done mate, an excellent start, I'll be watching this build very keenly!! Drool Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
michu
#35 Posted : 17 January 2017 13:57:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Brave move resulting in a flawless canopy :)
Waiting for more! This is one of my favourite planes so I'm really keen on seeing you put it together.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
tigerace
#36 Posted : 17 January 2017 14:19:23

Great work on the canopy DaveCool if i send mine to you will you do those Laugh Laugh LOL LOL regards Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

davetwin
#37 Posted : 23 January 2017 20:59:36

Gandale wrote:
To build something special Dave takes a great deal of time an patience, looking at the results you've achieved shows you have both in abundance... beautiful work and well done.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan

ModelMania wrote:
Excellent work on that canopy Dave, very brave of you to attempt something like that, especially as it is on a clear part where you can't cover any mistakes with paint, but perseverance and growing confidence got you there in the end and you learnt a new technique from it too. Good stuff, that Micromesh isn't it?!!

Very well done mate, an excellent start, I'll be watching this build very keenly!! Drool Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

michu wrote:
Brave move resulting in a flawless canopy :)
Waiting for more! This is one of my favourite planes so I'm really keen on seeing you put it together.

tigerace wrote:
Great work on the canopy DaveCool if i send mine to you will you do those Laugh Laugh LOL LOL regards Phil

Thanks all for your comments BigGrin That micromesh is amazing. I ordered some AK Interactive Gauzy to dry dipping the cockpits in, now the parts that dried correctly are amazingly clear however there are some areas that have some imperfections where it has dried with a little bubble. Im going to need to gently sand them out. After having tackled the cockpit seams Im now very confident I can sort these bubbles out with no issues, then a quick redip and they should look pretty nice indeed.

I have progressed onto starting on the dolley that supports the engine. There are lot of parts that make this up. The main colour of the dolley is IJN green however I have undercoated with Vallejo Gloss black primer hoping that it will help the metallic parts really pop.

davetwin attached the following image(s):
P1020355.JPG
P1020356.JPG
P1020366.JPG
michu
#38 Posted : 23 January 2017 21:17:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks very intricate... Great start Dave :)
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
arpurchase
#39 Posted : 23 January 2017 21:23:30

BigGrin Very nice start daveCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

mogwai
#40 Posted : 23 January 2017 21:45:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi davenport enjoying following this one.great start, canopy looks brill. Cheers mick. BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.