Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Mclaren tools Options
pearson6416
#1 Posted : 31 March 2011 20:52:17

Groups: registriert, Registered

Hi i am still on issue 1 trying to build the part of the front wing and i cant use the screwdriver properly is there any other screwdrivers i can use with more grip and what size do i need.
DavidSmith1982
#2 Posted : 31 March 2011 21:28:15

Groups: Registered

Having same problem. cant get a good grip with it as you need to apply quite abit of pressure to make sure screws tighten, as the assembly still wiggles if not. Try get some jewellery screwdrivers, more sturdy and longer for better grip.
saintsman123
#3 Posted : 31 March 2011 21:33:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Make sure if you get watchmakers/jewellery screwdrivers that you get a good set, otherwise you'll just round off the tip.

David I often came down to Girvan to dive off the Ailsa Craig, I'm fae ardrossan originally
Come on you Jimmies
Tomick
#4 Posted : 31 March 2011 21:36:57

Groups:

The type/size is Phillips 00, plenty on eBay Wink
pearson6416
#5 Posted : 31 March 2011 21:48:41

i have already bought a philips 00 screwriver off ebay and it still doesnt fit what size jewelers set do i need
mttmwilson
#6 Posted : 31 March 2011 22:00:54

I got my self a 00 phillips screwdriver and found that it fits some of the kit screws better than others. There is some inconsistencies in the heads of the screws...

Mike.

Built:McLaren MP4-23

Ongoing:HMS Victory, Victory Cross-Section, Harley Fatboy, Hatchette Lancaster, Flying Scotsman, Stagecoach
DavidSmith1982
#7 Posted : 31 March 2011 22:26:00

saintsman123 wrote:
Make sure if you get watchmakers/jewellery screwdrivers that you get a good set, otherwise you'll just round off the tip.

David I often came down to Girvan to dive off the Ailsa Craig, I'm fae ardrossan originally

n1 :) not the town it used to be after asda opened but still love it :)
Tomick
#8 Posted : 31 March 2011 23:00:15

Groups:

pearson6416 wrote:
i have already bought a philips 00 screwriver off ebay and it still doesnt fit what size jewelers set do i need

Like Saintsman123 says, quality and size of driver can vary greatly, Phillips 00 is a standard size and is the size noted in the magazine, but with cheapo imported tools there can be huge variance and as mentioned the driver head can be easily rounded; buy as good a quality as you can afford.

If you have a tight self-tapping screw, remove it and apply a slight amount of lubricant to the screw thread which works wonders on insertion, also be mindful of overtightening the screws.
Dontshootme
#9 Posted : 01 April 2011 14:32:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

saintsman123 wrote:

Small world,lived in Innellan on other side of Clyde for years.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
SennaMentalMe
#10 Posted : 01 April 2011 22:15:51

Groups:

Hi all, regards the search for a 'Good' screwdriver on this thread, I thought that I might share this with you. I wasn't overly excited about the 'free' screwdriver supplied with Issue 1 (sorry DeAg!), so I looked around and bought the Screwdriver in the photos below from a seller called "transtools" on ebay (hope I haven't broken any rules there Admin??) for £4.70 "Buy it Now" with FREE postage, which ain't the cheapest around but it is certainly quality!!

Called a - "Wera Kraftform 2050 Micro Screwdriver (Phillips)", it features the following:

* Tip style phillips PH00 (correct size for this build).
* Blade length 60mm.
* 'Professional' precision screwdriver with blades manufactured from 73MoV52 material.
* The handle features a convex/concave cap which rotates beneath the fingertip for an easy turning action and a comfortable hand rest.
* The integral hex-shoulder prevents annoying tool roll-off.

It is NOT magnetic which is a shame but I have tried it on my built front wing endplate screws and it is a very snug fit, so you can put the screw on the end of the driver and it won't fall off prior to placing it in the relevant hole and it shouldn't slip provided that you keep it perpendicular to the screw!! The tip itself will not wear out or 'round off' as the cheaper ones do as it is made of a very durable metal. I am VERY pleased with it, it was well worth the investment and arrived in less than 48 hours with excellent communications from the seller.

As Mr. T alluded earlier in this thread - "buy the best quality that you can afford" and this is quality!!

Hope you all find this helpful??

Regards ... Kev BigGrin Drool
SennaMentalMe
#11 Posted : 01 April 2011 22:28:49

Groups:

Amendment to my last posting: Listed this as a Wera Kraftform "2050" - this number is the ebay sellers' own code NOT the manufacturers' code which is "118020" as can be seen in the photos!! Sorry!!

Regards ... Kev

Blushing Confused
DavidSmith1982
#12 Posted : 02 April 2011 12:50:43

Thanks for that Kev, ordering one ;)
SennaMentalMe
#13 Posted : 02 April 2011 12:53:13

Groups:

BigGrin BigGrin No probs David, glad to help and you will not be disappointed!! Please let me know what you think when it arrives??BigGrin BigGrin

Regards ... Kev
pearson6416
#14 Posted : 06 April 2011 00:17:06

hi i have got a screwdriver to fit and its done it but now i have another problem when i stuck the parts with abs glue it ran and its took a bit of the paint off is there anything i can cover it up with so i cant see it
saintsman123
#15 Posted : 06 April 2011 12:02:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

SennaMentalMe wrote:
Hi all, regards the search for a 'Good' screwdriver on this thread, I thought that I might share this with you. I wasn't overly excited about the 'free' screwdriver supplied with Issue 1 (sorry DeAg!), so I looked around and bought the Screwdriver in the photos below from a seller called "transtools" on ebay (hope I haven't broken any rules there Admin??) for £4.70 "Buy it Now" with FREE postage, which ain't the cheapest around but it is certainly quality!!

Called a - "Wera Kraftform 2050 Micro Screwdriver (Phillips)", it features the following:

* Blade length 60mm.
* 'Professional' precision screwdriver with blades manufactured from 73MoV52 material.
* The handle features a convex/concave cap which rotates beneath the fingertip for an easy turning action and a comfortable hand rest.

It is NOT magnetic which is a shame but I have tried it on my built front wing endplate screws and it is a very snug fit, so you can put the screw on the end of the driver and it won't fall off prior to placing it in the relevant hole and it shouldn't slip provided that you keep it perpendicular to the screw!! The tip itself will not wear out or 'round off' as the cheaper ones do as it is made of a very durable metal. I am VERY pleased with it, it was well worth the investment and arrived in less than 48 hours with excellent communications from the seller.

As Mr. T alluded earlier in this thread - "buy the best quality that you can afford" and this is quality!!

You could always try rubbing a magnet over the screwdriver, it should magnetise it, or dip the tip in a very small amount of superglue then let it dry before screwing, this will hold the screw in place enough to get the screw started.

As posts seem to be moving fast now, and are easy to miss, just to remind new mclaren modelers, dont buy superglue from shops its way too expensive, give Cornwall Boats a try, the glue they sell is fantastic value, and don't be tempted to use superglue from the pound shops, its way too runny, and does not hold quite as well as the good stuff
Come on you Jimmies
SennaMentalMe
#16 Posted : 06 April 2011 17:22:56

Groups:

BigGrin Thanks for that Bob ThumpUp . Already sorted it in a similar way, I left it attached to a magnet for a couple of days and it is now magnetised!! Not sure if I may have to keep topping up the magnetism every now and then or whether it will stay magnetised but whatever, it's sorted!! Just need something to screw together now!! BigGrin BigGrin

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Regards ... Kev
glen2011
#17 Posted : 07 April 2011 21:38:11

saintsman123 wrote:
SennaMentalMe wrote:

* Blade length 60mm.

You could always try rubbing a magnet over the screwdriver, it should magnetise it, or dip the tip in a very small amount of superglue then let it dry before screwing, this will hold the screw in place enough to get the screw started.

As posts seem to be moving fast now, and are easy to miss, just to remind new mclaren modelers, dont buy superglue from shops its way too expensive, give Cornwall Boats a try, the glue they sell is fantastic value, and don't be tempted to use superglue from the pound shops, its way too runny, and does not hold quite as well as the good stuff

Hi all, just placed order for a full set of these with free magnetiser for £18.49 and free p£p... ebay 120686481203
SennaMentalMe
#18 Posted : 07 April 2011 22:17:24

Groups:

BigGrin Hi Glen, great find and many thanks for the heads up on that one!! I don't need a whole set as I have other mini screwdrivers already but originally bought the PH00 size so that I had a decent one for this build, as I think ALL screws on this build are '00' size so other sizes not needed, though I bet DeAg will go and prove me wrong somewhere along this build!! I have been using an ordinary magnet to magnetise my driver (see my posting from yesterday) but I think the magnetiser tool you mention is such a 'cool' tool that I am going to order one of those as the same seller you bought your set from, sells the magnetiser separately for just under a fiver with free p&p - Bargain!!

Thanks again for the heads up and good luck with your build ThumpUp ThumpUp BigGrin

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Regards ... Kev
knightyc
#19 Posted : 08 April 2011 02:47:42

i bought one of those screwdrivers an then managed to round it off on the tip :( im pretty bad with tools so is there any better more tough ones i could use?
Tomick
#20 Posted : 08 April 2011 09:07:14

Groups:

You could try the Stanley 'FatMax' 00 Phillips