Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages 123>»
Hi-Nu Ver.Ka Gundam: Normal and HWS version. Options
Metal Mech
#1 Posted : 23 December 2016 01:25:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

This is my 2017 Build of the Year entry.

I will be building two copies of the Bandai MG Hi-Nu Ver.Ka model kit. One will be the normal version and one will be built with the HWS (Heavy Weapons System) upgrade kit. These models are 1/100 scale.

I choose to do something a little less complicated this time around so that I have a better chance of actually finishing the build. I say less complicated, but that is only because I am familiar and experienced with this type of model kit. These kits are far from simple. I will also be keeping the painting down to a minimum. At the moment I only plan to paint the purple parts blue and paint detail on the weapons. I will not be painting the white parts. I am happy with how they look in their molded color and I absolutely hate painting white. I will be panel lining them though. There is also the fact that this model kit has a lot of gimmicks/features that can become difficult to operate when you paint the whole kit. There is a good chance I will paint other parts here and there but that will be on a as I get to it basis.

This is how I always intended to build these two kits. I just decided that it would make sense for me to build them for this years entry. I want to concentrate more on making a detailed and interesting build diary for you guys to read. If at anytime during my build diary, you have questions about how or why I am doing something please ask. I plan to be detailed and explain everything, especially if I am using terms and phrases not normally used outside of Gundam model building. However sometimes I forget to explain something I consider common place for me.

A few quick facts while I am thinking about it.

The full title of this kit is the following:

Mobile Suit RX-93-V2 Hi-V Gundam "Ver.Ka"

The V in the title is a special font V as can be seen in the photos. Translated into English it is said as the word Nu.

This kit is a MG "Ver.Ka" MG stands for "Master Grade" and all master grade Gundam kits are 1/100 in scale. "Ver.Ka" is a type of artistic styling done by a specific Gundam designer. I don't have that information on hand at the moment but I will get it and post it in another update in the future. Along with the styling most "Ver.Ka" kits feature loads of "gimmicks". In the Gundam world "gimmicks" are features like opening flaps/panels, moving parts, light up parts, and detail effects.

Fictional specs for this model as if it was real:

Model Number: RX-93-V2
Height: 20.0 meters
Weight: 27.9 tons
Material: Gundarium Alloy
Manufacture: Anaheim Electronics

Armaments Normal Type:
60mm Vulcan Gun x2
Beam Rifle x1
Hyper Bazooka x1
Beam Saber x3
Shield with Beam Cannon x1 and Missiles x4
Bean Gatling Gun x1
Fin Funnel x6

Armaments HWS Type:
Same as above plus the following:
Upgraded armor panels
Hyper Beam Rifle
Additional Hyper Bazooka
Additional Shield
Hyper Shield
Extra missiles in upper torso armor
Shoulder mounted cannons
Upgraded boosters on legs and Hyper Shield for increased maneuverability.

Well that's about all I can think of to post for now. I will update more when its time to start building unless you guys have any specific questions you would like to ask now.

Time for the photos.

EDIT: Due to photobucket changing policy I am unable to save these photos. They will not let me download my photos without paying for a subscription and I do not have them saved anywhere else.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
Nemesis
#2 Posted : 23 December 2016 01:58:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Now these will be an interesting build. It will be nice to see them done with panel lines highlighted to give some realism. Have you got an idea for displaying them?BigGrin
Metal Mech
#3 Posted : 23 December 2016 06:29:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Not sure yet. I been contemplating a mirror image set up. Either face to face or back to back. I have also been contemplating painting the purple parts for the HWS version red instead of blue.

I am up for ideas of anyone has them.

DeAgostini kit builds:

davetwin
#4 Posted : 23 December 2016 13:40:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Interesting build and something different Cool

I like the idea of the back to back Cool
Metal Mech
#5 Posted : 04 January 2017 23:08:17

Haven't been able to get a proper start on this just yet. Was trying to get rid of as much garbage around the house as possible last night so I decided to go ahead and take all the sprues out of their plastic bags. Figured I might as well photograph the parts I will be working with.

First I apologize for my work/photograph area. My normal area is out of commission for a while so the kitchen table will have to do.

Photo number one is the main model kit. I only took a photo of one of them, but double what you see and you get the idea.

Next up is the HWS add on kit that will be going on one of the main models.

This weekend I am planning to dig out my tools that I use for the build and get a proper start. Not sure how much I can do, or how far I will get without painting. While I don't plan to paint a lot I always find bits and pieces I want to upgrade and painting is out of the question until it warms up, which is a couple months away.

EDIT: Due to photobucket changing policy I am unable to save these photos. They will not let me download my photos without paying for a subscription and I do not have them saved anywhere else.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Metal Mech
#6 Posted : 06 January 2017 23:54:29

Dug out my tools. These are what I use when I am building OOB or OOB+. If I ended up doing more then that to a model I have other tools I use as well, but these are my main ones.

DeAgostini kit builds:

forgotmylogin
#7 Posted : 07 January 2017 17:18:48

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thats a lot of plastic Blink

Should be a great build, good luck Cool
ElekTr1C
#8 Posted : 07 January 2017 17:57:27

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

gundams are always fun :) i dont paint them haha

why the stick?
Nemesis
#9 Posted : 07 January 2017 22:42:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking forward to seeing your build, I have never built any of these kits.BigGrin

ElekTr1C wrote:

why the stick?

I think you will find "The Stick" is a fine foam emery board, I use them regularly for delicate sanding, pinch them off Mrs Nem as they are for polishing finger nails!LOL BigGrin
ElekTr1C
#10 Posted : 08 January 2017 15:24:29

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nemesis wrote:
Looking forward to seeing your build, I have never built any of these kits.BigGrin

ElekTr1C wrote:

why the stick?

I think you will find "The Stick" is a fine foam emery board, I use them regularly for delicate sanding, pinch them off Mrs Nem as they are for polishing finger nails!LOL BigGrin

haha well that makes alot of sense now :) thank you
Metal Mech
#11 Posted : 08 January 2017 16:05:25

Nem is correct. It's a foam emery board. Used for fine sanding and buffing out light scratches that sometimes happen with metal files.

Nem you should try a Gundam kit one time. Get cheap one and bulid it out of the box. Then after that if you enjoyed it build another one and paint it up nice. Just got to remember that these are "snap" together kits. So paint can make it difficult to assemble. So it's good to build one unpainted to get a feel how they go together. Zoids kits are also cool. They don't have as much part separation as a Gundam kit but they are full of detail.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Nemesis
#12 Posted : 08 January 2017 16:51:47

I may have to get one and have a go!BigGrin
Metal Mech
#13 Posted : 23 January 2017 23:09:13

Ok trying to get a proper start on this. Finally got a work area cleaned up enough. First up though another quick lesson in Gundam model kits.

Poly Caps. Poly caps are the parts used to make the joints functional. They are a soft rubber part. Most commonly in the shape of a ball joint but there are other types as well. They allow joints to be snapped together, or separated if needed. They have just enough friction to keep the parts in place yet let you move the joints freely. They can wear out over time which is the downfall to them but the tech for them gets better and better every year and they tend to last a bit longer these days. Of course this all depends on how much you play with the joints and how heavy the model is.

Now for the start of the kit. First thing I always do is assemble the stand. Not every kit comes with a stand, if it doesn't I buy one or borrow one from another kit. Usually the stands attach to the crotch of the model kit and thus I build the waist first. This stand is unique in two ways. One it attaches at the back of the upper torso, so I will be starting with that part this time around. Two, this stand actually has an adaptor so you can stand the model upright on its feet instead of just having it "float" in the air. Because I like to use the stands for holding the kits while I build it, I will assemble the stand normally.

Here are the parts of the stand after I have removed and cleaned up the nubs. No assembly yet, maybe later this evening.

[

DeAgostini kit builds:

michu
#14 Posted : 23 January 2017 23:37:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I'm going to watch this with interest, this is something completely different to what I see every day, and I've never done or seen any Gundam kits before... Unique and interesting.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
greyhawk
#15 Posted : 24 January 2017 10:14:10

Metal Mech
#16 Posted : 25 January 2017 04:45:19

Ok two assembled display stands ready to go.

Up next the parts for the cockpit. There is actually a 1/100 scale pilot that goes in the seat but I can't paint that small and I never usually open the cockpit up later to look inside, although its an option that you can do.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Metal Mech
#17 Posted : 29 January 2017 02:54:46

Ok guys been making good progress on this kit. Been building and taking photos, just haven't found time till now to post up the photos. So here goes.

First up here are the two cockpits completed and mounted on the stands.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Metal Mech
#18 Posted : 29 January 2017 02:57:08

Ok next up is the main torso body that goes around the cockpit.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Metal Mech
#19 Posted : 29 January 2017 02:59:54

Now time for the shoulders and another piece of the frame for the chest

DeAgostini kit builds:

darbyvet
#20 Posted : 29 January 2017 03:54:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice work so far

Carl