Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages <1234>»
C-3PO & R2-D2 Diorama Options
darbyvet
#21 Posted : 10 April 2017 00:48:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I will be following this one Mark.I think it will look great on that base

Carl

Markwarren
#22 Posted : 10 April 2017 08:02:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

BigGrin Thank you for the comments guys.BigGrin

Mark
Markwarren
#23 Posted : 12 April 2017 23:18:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Pictures 1 & 2. A little more prepping done to the R2 unit. Here I have primed all the white, silver and blue parts.

Pictures 3 & 4. All left for 24 hours to dry, I then painted with silver paint. Once these have really dried over several days, I will weather some of the inner parts with oils before placing them into the model.

Pictures 5 & 6. I then painted the main body parts with white paint and gave them a couple of coats. The white paint is the same as I am using with the R2 customise build, as is the silver paint.

Pictures 7 & 8. The blue parts have been painted, again the same as the custom build. Starting with silver, translucent purple, blue, and the purple again. The only difference I will be doing is not applying the full gloss varnish to the blue parts, as they won’t need it. The picture doesn’t really do it any justice, but you get that metallic blue/ purple look. Once allowed to dry for several days, I will be very lightly chipping the parts with a small sharp knife, allowing the silver to come through when weathering.

The dome part has not been painted yet, as I want to hide the seam when fixing the two parts together. That’s all for now, thank you for looking.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 3.jpg
Photo 4.jpg
Photo 4a.jpg
Photo 4b.jpg
Photo 6.jpg
Photo 6a.jpg
Photo 7.jpg
Photo 8.jpg
birdaj2
#24 Posted : 13 April 2017 10:30:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Never realised until looking at your latest pictures just how detailed these models are.

They look really good.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
tigerace
#25 Posted : 13 April 2017 13:03:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks great so far MarkBigGrin will be following with interestBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Markwarren
#26 Posted : 13 April 2017 13:09:55

Thanks for looking Phil, Tony.
Tony: The detail is excellent, needs painting to really highlight those introcut pieces. I'll try and show a picture of the arm and compare it with the Deag one when done.

Cheers for looking
MarkBigGrin
arpurchase
#27 Posted : 13 April 2017 18:46:07

BigGrin Nice start thereCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Markwarren
#28 Posted : 18 April 2017 00:18:51

I have been away for the Easter weekend. I took some modelling equipment with me, just in case it rained, and hid it in the boot of the car. So not to be disappointed it rained all Sunday afternoon and evening. Whilst the missus was reading her book, she said it’s a shame I didn’t bring any modelling to do, I smirked.
Pictures 1 & 2. Anyway, on to the build. I started with the dome on R2 by priming the part before painting it with polished metalcote Aluminium.

Pictures 3,4,5 & 6. As you can see in the next picture, you can see the seam. Unfortunately, with this model you have to fit the inner blue panels inside before attaching the two halves together. So, I used some masking tape and some plastic filler, then filed down using a sanding stick being careful not to hit the blue panels.

Picture 7. Here you can see the seam taken out

Picture 8. I then drilled out a hole for the blue and red light to go.

Pictures 9 & 10. I then used a 2mm fiber optic tube and mushroomed the end, before placing it into the hole. The second picture shows the underside. I glued the cable with UV glue.

Picture 11. Here is how it looks when inserted.

Picture 12. I then used some heat shrink tubing over the flashing red and blue LED, with will then fit over the Fiber tubing.

Pictures 13 & 14. I then used a 0.25mm drill piece to drill 6 holes into each matrix panel as shown here.

Picture 15. I will be using a white flashing LED for both these and the rear panel. I will be painting the ends of the 0.25 fiber optics with some translucent paint.

Pictures 16,17 & 18. I then put a few more panels on and did some fine detail on some of the panels with silver paint. I also scratched the blue panels in places to expose the silver paint underneath to give it a start on the weathered look.

pictures 19,20 & 21. There is still plenty to do before the dome is finished, but the last few pictures shows the LED attached to show how it will look. There will also be the rear light which will have a yellow and green flashing light.

That’s all for now, thanks for looking.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 11.jpg
Photo 12.jpg
Photo 13.jpg
Photo 14.jpg
Photo 15.jpg
Photo 16.jpg
Photo 17.jpg
Photo 18.jpg
Photo 19.jpg
Photo 20.jpg
Photo 21.jpg
Photo 22.jpg
Photo 23.jpg
Photo 24.jpg
Photo 25.jpg
Photo 25a.jpg
Photo 26.jpg
Photo 28.jpg
Photo 29.jpg
Photo 30.jpg
Photo 31.jpg
tigerace
#29 Posted : 18 April 2017 07:20:10

Hi Mark really outstanding modeling skills on the R2 headBigGrin like how you cant even tell there was a seam at allCool BigGrin well doneBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Bobbaf3nn
#30 Posted : 18 April 2017 07:30:37

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

This is looking great so far ... Looking forward to seeing this one complete
Current builds: Eaglemoss DeLorean, Deagostini R2 D2 Build
birdaj2
#31 Posted : 18 April 2017 08:03:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That looks really very good.

You have really tempted me to get hold of this model to add to my own collection.

Really like your lighting as well.

Hope it all continues well.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
stevegbr
#32 Posted : 18 April 2017 08:15:28

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

what a difference a led makes, shall be watching your progress.BigGrin
Gandale
#33 Posted : 18 April 2017 08:32:27

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks superb, great modelling skills on show.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#34 Posted : 18 April 2017 09:43:34

Thank you Steve, Tony, Phil, Bobbaf3n and Alan for you kind comments.
Tony: The quality and detail of this kit is very good. BigGrin

Regards
Mark
davetwin
#35 Posted : 18 April 2017 19:21:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Amazing work with R2's head Mark, and you've even squeezed in an LED Blink Cool
pemberg
#36 Posted : 18 April 2017 20:29:34

Incredible job with such a small subject. Looks fantastic.

Graeme
Markwarren
#37 Posted : 18 April 2017 20:59:32

Thankyou for the comments Dave and Graeme. Still got a couple more LED's to go in, as well as the fibre optics, wish I knew how Dr Who's tardis worked.LOL

Regards
Mark
darbyvet
#38 Posted : 18 April 2017 21:20:43

Awesome work Mark.I cant beleive you are fitting the Leds inside R2s head.

Carl

arpurchase
#39 Posted : 18 April 2017 22:26:33

BigGrin Top work there mark, some clever innovations going onCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Markwarren
#40 Posted : 19 April 2017 07:45:28

Thanks Carl and Andy for your comments.

Regards
Mark