Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages <12345>»
C-3PO & R2-D2 Diorama Options
Markwarren
#41 Posted : 21 April 2017 00:22:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Pictures 1 & 2. A little more done to R2 head. I have put the other rear light in using the same method as before. I have also drilled the rear matrix board with 12 holes.

Picture 3. I then threaded the 0.25mm fiber optic cables into the front panels. This is where you need the patients of a saint. Again, I mushroom the ends of the fibers and painted half of them with blue translucent paint and left the others clear.

Picture 4. Here is the underside showing the fibers in place. I glued them all with UV glue.

Picture 5. The last picture is a test shot using a clear bulb to show how it looks. The final model will have a flickering white bulb in place.

Thanks for looking.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 35.jpg
Photo 36.jpg
Photo 36a.jpg
Photo 36b.jpg
Photo 36c.jpg
Markwarren
#42 Posted : 22 April 2017 10:38:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Pictures 1,2 & 3. Just a quick update. I have added a little more detail to the R2 dome and added the rest of the fibers. Can’t believe I have used nearly two meters of the stuff.

Pictures 4 & 5. Here, I have tested the lighting. I now need to make some modification to the body section to accommodate the wiring.

Photo 41.jpg
Photo 41a.jpg
Photo 41b.jpg
Photo 42.jpg
Photo 42a.jpg
Gandale
#43 Posted : 22 April 2017 11:05:51

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

All looking great Mark, lovely work as usual....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#44 Posted : 22 April 2017 11:09:52

Thanks Alan, making this model has made me realise I need a bigger magnifying glass.LOL

Regards
Mark
Markwarren
#45 Posted : 22 April 2017 16:33:59

I have put a clear resin into the front of the matrix lights. I have also finished the final lighting unit, with flashing colours and flickering effect to the matrix lighting. Now it just has to fit into the body.
Here is a quick video of how it looks with the lighting,

https://youtu.be/4USqd5OedFc
Markwarren
#46 Posted : 29 April 2017 12:04:54

Okay, so I know I said I would put some lighting into this project, wow this has been one of the hardest things I have ever done. Talk about putting a quart into a pint pot.
I have so far fitted three lots of lighting into the dome, the first two were unsuccessful. I have had to remove the 2mm fiber optic at the front, and replaced it with a slighting more curved one so I can sit the LED at the very bottom of the dome as you look at it upside down. A lot of modification has taken place inside the body to accommodate the wiring. As the middle leg will be showing in this model, I will fix it into position, rather than allowing it to slide in and out of the body. This will give me the option to cut away the top half of the inner body to give me more room.
Pictures 1 & 2. Here, you can see the bottom plate of the dome that needed to be cut to allow the cables through to the inner body.

Pictures 3,4,5,6,7,8 & 9. I then got to work on the middle leg, as this would be where the cable will come out of, once the rest of the lighting is in place.

Pictures 10 & 11. I then placed some of the body parts in place, so I could see what I had to play with and then test fitted the inner leg.

Picture 12. This is where I am now. It's make or break time, as I have glued all the LED in the dome so they do not move, they are now non-replaceable. A big breather and a nice cup of tea is now needed before I connect the cables and join the two halves together. Fingers crossed.
Photo 43.jpg
Photo 44.jpg
Photo 44a.jpg
Photo 44b.jpg
Photo 44c.jpg
Photo 48.jpg
Photo 49.jpg
Photo 50.jpg
Photo 51.jpg
Photo 52.jpg
Photo 53.jpg
Photo 54.jpg
darbyvet
#47 Posted : 29 April 2017 15:20:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

That looks great.I am amazed you managed to fit the LEds in such a tight space.

Carl

Markwarren
#48 Posted : 29 April 2017 17:08:50

Thanks Carl, I had Dr Who to thank for this task.LOL

Mark
Markwarren
#49 Posted : 29 April 2017 17:11:32

Pictures 1 & 2. So, I was so excited getting it all to fit in and all lights working when tested, I forgot to take a picture of the inside before fitting the two halves together. I ran the red wiring to one side and the black cables the other, a little more modification took place as well. I also painted the small part of the wiring, that was exposed on the middle leg with some white paint, not that you would see it anyway once its finished.

Pictures 3 & 4. Before packing away and calling it a day, I started on one of the outer legs. Although you get stickers for the smaller parts, I’ve adopted to painting these as they look better, and the blue sticker didn’t quite match the metallic blue I had painted.

Pictures 5 & 6. Although this is a small 1/12 scale, I am impressed with the level of detail it comes with. Here are a couple of pictures to show how small it really is and how it holds up to the detailing on the R2 Deag model.

Pictures 7 & 8. And here it is fitted to the body.

That’s all for now, now back to the Falcon while I’ve got the soldering iron out.
Photo 55.jpg
Photo 57.jpg
Photo 58.jpg
Photo 59.jpg
Photo 60.jpg
Photo 61.jpg
Photo 62.jpg
Photo 64.jpg
davetwin
#50 Posted : 29 April 2017 19:47:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely work Mark, patient of a saint getting the wires mounted inside Blink

While looking at the pictures I was asking myself where the battery was going to but I see you've run the wires out the foot so I'm guessing it will be on a base housing the battery Cool
Gandale
#51 Posted : 29 April 2017 23:53:37

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

You do love to do things that tax your skills and this one must be near the top of the list..... great work as usual....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
nightwisher
#52 Posted : 30 April 2017 00:16:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellent work, am very tempted to give one of these kits a go. No lighting though,wouldn't have a clue.
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
arpurchase
#53 Posted : 30 April 2017 00:28:50

BigGrin Top work Mark, those Bandai kits are good but your taking it to another level and having built that kit I know just how small in what your dealing with hereCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Markwarren
#54 Posted : 30 April 2017 08:50:44

Thank you guys for your comments, I'm hoping C3PO,s eyes, lit up will be a little easier when I comes to it. Unsure
Dave, the wire will go into the diorama display with a battery box embedded inside.

Thanks again.
Mark
Ritchie69
#55 Posted : 30 April 2017 11:30:14

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Wow, really impressed with how you got all the lighting in such a small place. Looks good.

Peter
Completed - R2D2
Markwarren
#56 Posted : 30 April 2017 17:46:54

Thanks for you comments Peter, it wasn't easy getting them in.

Mark
Markwarren
#57 Posted : 11 June 2017 17:58:34

Pictures 1 & 2. It’s been an R2-D2 weekend. Whilst I have been waiting for paint to dry on both the R2 custom build and the Falcon build, I have finished assembling R2 for the diorama. I finished off the leg I had started and completed the second one as well. I also attached some small parts to the main body.

Picture 3. I then used the supplied base that came with the model and drilled a hole to allow the cable at the bottom of the centre foot to go through. I then attached a 9v battery to test the lighting. This base will be used to hold R2 in place with the cable, whilst assembling C3-PO, before making the diorama.

Pictures 4,5,6 & 7. Here are some more pictures of R2 with the lighting on. All the lights flash and flicker as they should.ThumpUp

Now I need to weather him and dirty him up before assembling C3-PO.

Thanks for looking.
Photo 65.jpg
Photo 66.jpg
Photo 67.jpg
Photo 67a.jpg
Photo 67b.jpg
Photo 67c.jpg
Photo 74.jpg
stevie_o
#58 Posted : 11 June 2017 19:50:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gandale
#59 Posted : 11 June 2017 22:34:59

He look fab Mark, superb work....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#60 Posted : 11 June 2017 22:40:49

BigGrin Looking great mark and top work
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .