Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages «<23456>»
C-3PO & R2-D2 Diorama Options
darbyvet
#61 Posted : 11 June 2017 23:53:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

It looks fantastic.I still cant believe you managed to get lights into this

Carl

Markwarren
#62 Posted : 12 June 2017 08:04:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Many thanks for the kind comments guys. Now to some fine detailed painting to make him look worn. I've started the eyes on C3-PO, I'm hoping they won't be as difficult as R2, fingers crossed.

Mark
lholland
#63 Posted : 23 June 2017 10:50:20

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This looks brilliant Mark. Ive just finished the Bandai falcon and put a light kit in that and that was fiddly so God only knows what that was like with R2. I can't say enough about how good these Bandai kits are. Cant wait to start my half size BB8 to sit alongside R2 when he's built. Loving you're custom Deag R2 btw.
ian smith
#64 Posted : 23 June 2017 11:35:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cool looking fantastic Mark well done. Ian BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
tigerace
#65 Posted : 23 June 2017 13:31:12

Sorry Mark missed the updatesBlushing you`ve done a brilliant job on the R2 D2 BigGrin looking forward to CP30BigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Markwarren
#66 Posted : 23 June 2017 14:41:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Many thanks for your kind comments guys, much appreciated. I've started C3-P0, soldering the smd's is very hard and you need a large eye glass. I've drilled out the eye piece in the centre of the model and put the smd's in, but one didn't work, as the solder joint came undone, so I've called it a day. Crying Try again tomorrow.

Many thanks
Mark
Markwarren
#67 Posted : 26 June 2017 22:45:02

Pictures 1,2 & 3. Here, I have started C3-P0. I drilled out the inner eye piece, where I will be putting some warm SMD lights into the holes.

Pictures 4 & 5. As you can see here, I will be using 2 warm LED lights. Soldering these takes a very large eye glass as they are very small.

Picture 6. I used some fine coated copper wire and soldered it to the LED lights. I then tested the lights using a 9v battery and resistor, which will go into the leg area before attaching a cable through the foot.

Picture 7. I also cut away some of the internal rear head piece, to accommodate the altered eye part.

Picture 8. The final picture shows the LED lights in the eye section lit. A lot more to do with this area before the head is finished, as I want to tone down the lighting to make it more realistic. This will be done in my next post.

Thanks for looking.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 76.jpg
Photo 77.jpg
Photo 78.jpg
Photo 78a.jpg
Photo 78b.jpg
Photo 78c.jpg
Photo 78d.jpg
Photo 79.jpg
Gandale
#68 Posted : 26 June 2017 23:12:57

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great start with C3PO Mark, will enjoy following to see how he develops....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#69 Posted : 27 June 2017 22:32:37

Many thanks for your comments Alan

A little more to C3-P0 head. I have spent this evening just drilling out the clear eye piece you get with this kit, to emulate the eye piece. I then painted the eyes with Humbrol clear to tone down the lighting, rather than use the transfers that come with the model. The picture does look a little like a horror movie with his head on a stick, but you get the idea. I was quite pleased with how the eyes now light up.

Many thanks for looking.
Photo 84.jpg
Markwarren
#70 Posted : 13 August 2017 18:17:45

Just got back from my holiday, and I did contemplate taking something to do just in case the weather turned. As I was waiting for paint to set with the R2 and the Falcon build, I decided to take C3P0 with me to work on. The weather, unfortunately didn't disappoint. There was a moat around my caravan and no way of getting out for two days, I set too.
First, I passed the wire through the neck piece, anyone who has made this model, knows it is a solid piece with moving neck feature. I drilled a hole through the neck bolt and fed the wire through.
Photo 85.jpg
Photo 86.jpg
Markwarren
#71 Posted : 13 August 2017 18:22:37

Next came the middle wire section. You have a decal to place in the middle section with the wiring loom printed. I wanted a more 3d feel to the piece, so I hand painted the wires to give a little more detail. Once this was done, I then drilled a hole to feed the wire through before connecting the bottom section.
Photo 87.jpg
Photo 88.jpg
Photo 89.jpg
Markwarren
#72 Posted : 13 August 2017 18:28:01

I then also decided to paint the gold pieces on the hand, as oppose to using the decals, it again gave it a more 3d detailing. Then it was onto the leg piece, this was not easy fitting the wire through and almost took me to drink, well almost. The second leg was quite easy and took a fraction of the time.
Photo 90.jpg
Photo 91.jpg
Markwarren
#73 Posted : 13 August 2017 18:32:35

I then did the arms, painting the piston rods and the inner elbow joints silver. I also put some black wash on the arm joints to see how it looked.
The last picture is C3P0 complete before weathering.
Photo 93.jpg
Photo 94.jpg
roymattblack
#74 Posted : 13 August 2017 18:35:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Mind boggling stuff!!!
Absolutely superb!

I must ask though - do you clean your skin and your fingernails before taking pics?
Mine are always stained with paint, glue and grot... lol.

Roy.
Markwarren
#75 Posted : 13 August 2017 18:37:00

Here, you can see I have weathered him. I decided not to use the black wash, but used a brown track wash instead. I then varnished it, once this had dried and used a mig sand oils to give the final weathered look I wanted.
The last picture shows him weathered with his eyes lit as well.
So that's it for now, R2 still to be weathered and the base with the diorama.
Thanks for looking.
Photo 97.jpg
Photo 98.jpg
Photo 99.jpg
Markwarren
#76 Posted : 13 August 2017 19:01:21

Thanks Roy,
I usually wash my hands before taking picturesLOL
Although, when painting C3P0, I had to use latex gloves so not to get any fingere prints on the body whilst painting him and before varnishing it.

Mark

Gandale
#77 Posted : 13 August 2017 20:11:42

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Amazing work Mark, pleasure to see.....Love Love

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#78 Posted : 13 August 2017 20:17:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Some terrific work in this scale.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#79 Posted : 13 August 2017 21:16:26

BigGrin Looking top notch with the weathering he looks exactly right to me with that aged gold lookCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

pemberg
#80 Posted : 13 August 2017 21:25:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic work Mark, the detailing is incredible.

Graeme