Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Alternative ramp assembly Options
gedmac66
#1 Posted : 04 January 2017 00:04:26

Groups: Registered

G'day gang , was wondering for those builders out there who wanted /were going to forego the supplied ramp assembly ,

for a more screen / set accurate entry look ( ala Warthogs build ) , have come up with a solution to still powering the ramp

so it's still operational via an alternative method of construction . Asking cause I'd like to accomplish the same on mine .

If anyone has successfully done so , would you please consider sharing your solution . Cheers Ged .

P.s Did anyone find difficulties in final stages of assembly after they cut away the metal sub-frame that held the ramp motor

In its original position ?
LrdSatyr8
#2 Posted : 04 January 2017 16:45:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I've been working on a solution for this for quite awhile. The problem that its been taking so long is in the printing and testing. I've done about 4 different designs and have tested them all out, but not one has worked suffiently yet, but I will say I'm getting closer. The biggest thing is that I do not want to release something that I don't know will work. So, the process goes something like this. Design the parts needed (a couple of weeks), submit them for printing (another 3 weeks), test out the design (another couple of weeks), redesign and start the process over. As far as cutting out the framing, you can do so with no affect of the structure at all.

The biggest problem I'm facing is this: I'd like to make it so that the corridor connects with the ramp. The problem with that is that the corridor is above the hinge where the ramp meets the hull (about 5cm), so here are my options. 1) I could make a faux interior that would look like the movie that wouldn't be connected to the corridor at all, or 2) make it so that it does connect and contend with a double scissor ramp and the ramp being alot steeper then it looks in the movie. So, the question is this... what would everyone be most happy with? A fake interior that doesn't connect with anything that looks more like the movie, or an actual ramp that connects to the interior corridor that doesn't quite look like the movie at all. Either way, when the parts are ready it'll be a big printed part (or multiple parts) and most likely won't be cheap (even in ABS printing).
gedmac66
#3 Posted : 05 January 2017 05:12:21

G'day LrdSatyr8 , thanks for taking the time to reply . Can't/won't speak for anyone else , re; your design/s , but I'd prefer the first option - utilising the provided ramp ( leading up to a faux interior ) .

With regards to a ' working ramp mechanism ' , I guess that was the crux of my question . I'm no engineer , and am hoping people such as yourself can/will come up with an affordable solution . I could forego the motor altogether , but if it can be salvaged into the finished build then I'd rather attempt that . Cheers Ged .