Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages <1234>»
Grey's McLaren MP4-23 (50/85) Options
Steve279021
#21 Posted : 14 January 2017 20:34:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

greyhawk wrote:
Thanks Steve. It was your build report that made me wanna start on this one :)

Glad I could be of assistanceBigGrin

Another thing, I would think twice about fitting the carbon decals on the suspension as apparently they can go green after a period of time. Mine haven't yet but I finished mine a long time after most other people did. Check it out in the mp4/23 discussion.
Senna mclaren mp4/4 build complete mp4/4 build http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=12029

Dodge charger build
https://forum.deagostini....1686229545.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=9709046
greyhawk
#22 Posted : 15 January 2017 10:12:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Yeah, I read that. The way I see it, I can always repaint them glossy black if they should "go green" in a few years.

So, Sunday it is. First proper update then.

Stage 2: Assembling the front wing 2

This time we fit a number of aerodynamic fins to the underside of the wing and add the lower part of the end plates. We also receive the front left tyre and the upper part of the nose cone. Also a Mercedes "star" decal that I will probably lose before it's finally needed in the last building stage.

As before we start with removing paint from glue spots, this time around from the endplates. The grooves for the underwing fins were already roughened up a little in stage 1.

It's imperative to identify and lay out the fins first so the correct fin goes into the correct groove. Note especially the orientation of the fins in the manual. I fooled myself at first and was thinking the instructions were in error when in reality it was the model builder in my chair that was in error. An easy way to determine which fin goes where is to ensure that the depression marks end up facing each other and get "hidden" in the trough of blackness between the fins. The inner fins only really fit in their respective groove correctly.

Each fin gets an hour to ensure the ABS glue bonds the parts properly. Do not shorten the time. I did and it didn't end well. The contact area is tiny and really needs this time. It's also a good idea to hold the fins in place with a bit of masking tape as instructed to stop it from drooping.

Afterwards the endplates are extended with their lower parts. Again give proper time to bond and secure with tape.

And that's it for stage 2. The other parts delivered go into storage. The wing from above doesn't look too much different, not that we expected it to.

greyhawk
#23 Posted : 18 January 2017 12:32:15

Stage 3: Assembling the left front suspension

We receive the upper and lower left front wishbones, left pushrod, the lower half of the nose cone and the left front wheel.

We start by removing paint from the suspension arms positioning pins so it doesn't interfere with placement of the parts later.

Paint is also removed from the connecting areas of the pushrod and lower suspension arm.

The lower wishbone and pushrod are then screwed together.

A look at how the wheels will look like (just loosely stuck together right now)
davetwin
#24 Posted : 18 January 2017 18:15:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start greyhawk Cool

You're going to have to buy a bigger place soon with all the partworks you've got on the go LOL LOL
greyhawk
#25 Posted : 18 January 2017 19:26:45

davetwin wrote:
Great start greyhawk Cool

You're going to have to buy a bigger place soon with all the partworks you've got on the go LOL LOL

Some of them are going to be semi-permanently exhibited shortly, so I have a bit of room left to go yet. But I've jokingly started discussing with some other equally insane German builders about the possibility of opening up a "Museum of Partworks" sometime in the future.
greyhawk
#26 Posted : 22 January 2017 11:39:18

Stage 4 - Assembling the right suspension

This stage is a mirror image of the previous one, only we receive less parts

The right pushrod and upper and lower right suspension arm are added to our collection.

Again we remove the paint from the locating pins...

... and the connecting areea between pushrod and lower wishbone...

which are then screwed together.

That's it for stage 4. Next time we start working on the nose cone.

Sticky Wickett
#27 Posted : 23 January 2017 15:49:04

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This should turn out to be a very nice build!
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
greyhawk
#28 Posted : 25 January 2017 12:59:17

Well the material is absolutely beautiful so far.

Stage 5: Assembling the nose cone

We receive the right front tyre, a brace that will connect the nose cone to the body proper and 4 locating pins.

The pins are secured to the brace which is easy enough, one just has to be sure of the correct orientation of the little holes in the pins.

The brace is then pushed into the upper nose cone half until it "clicks". Be sure to listen to the click, if there's no click the part is not yet seated correctly.

The lower nose cone half is then screwed to the upper half. Positioning is a bit tricky as there's very few tolerances. On the other hand once the part is correctly and securily in place, the seam between both parts becomes largely invisible.

That's it for stage 5. Next time, we repair some ad work.
darbyvet
#29 Posted : 25 January 2017 15:08:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Nice start greyhawk! No lasers so far though.The paint finish on this kit is really nice isnt it.

Carl

greyhawk
#30 Posted : 25 January 2017 15:49:09

darbyvet wrote:
Nice start greyhawk! No lasers so far though.The paint finish on this kit is really nice isnt it.

Carl

It's a dream. It also seems to stick to that level of quality throughout when I look at the later parts. No idea what the complaints were about back when this originally came out. Confused
greyhawk
#31 Posted : 29 January 2017 12:56:00

Stage 6 - Retouching the front wing.

In the first stage we disrupted the Vodafone ads when attaching the front wing stays, so this will be remedied now

We receive the necessary decals (including generous spares), a front wheel hub and the pedals (the last two go into storage)

The decals are carefully cut to the small part we need (the little arch of the N), then soaked for a few seconds.

The rest of the decal is then discarded. The little red remains disappear against the red of the stay.

Apply the decal to the stay, repeat the same for the O on the other side and our Vodafone ads are whole again.

I had a bit of trouble with the decals not wanting to stay on the stay, but this was easily resolved with drop of decal softener.

Next time our nose grows wings and we're not even building a Red Bull.
greyhawk
#32 Posted : 01 February 2017 13:50:26

Stage 7: Attaching the nose to the front wing

Quite a bit to do this time around.

We receive a sprue of stays and side extensions for the nose as well as the wheel upright bases and axles.

Cutting the necessary parts from the sprue reveals some nice planning on the parts of the designers. All the connecting points are either in places that will be invisible or offset so they can be cut without the cut showing on the part. Like Bandai does for their Gundam models. Well done, DeAgostini, i wish more manufacturers would have so much foresight.

Paint is removed from the glue spots...

... and the attachements are glued to the sides of the nose.

Repeat the same thing...

for the stays that connect to the front wing.

Then it is just a matter of glueing the stays to the front wing itself and letting it bond for 24 hours. If one was careful enough in the previous stages, the stays will fit perfectly.

And that's the end of pack 1. Next time we start on the brakes
Spal
#33 Posted : 01 February 2017 15:46:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice update on your progress Cool

Al
greyhawk
#34 Posted : 05 February 2017 16:18:59

Thanks Al. This kit practically builds itself so far.

Stage 8: Assembling the front brake units

We receive parts for the right front brake, specifically the brake hub, wheel nut and cover, a plastic collar, a wrench for fastening the cover and an adapter to upgrade our screwdriver.

First we fit the wheel upright we received with the last stage with the wheel shaft. The hexagonal connections is a tight fit which is nice from a stability standpoint.

Then the collar is stuck into the brake hub.

While this is all the "building" done this stage, we do get an opportunity to test fit some of the wheel and brake parts we received so far.

Which looks like this. I may leave off the covers in the final build to show off the brakes. I'm not sure I like them.

We also get to fit the screwdriver with an adapter to allow for better grip.
greyhawk
#35 Posted : 08 February 2017 10:50:19

Stage 9 - Assembling the front brakes part 2

This time we do exactly the same as last stage, but for the other side.

We receive the wheel cover and nut, brake hub and collar and (still packaged) the pitot tube.

As before the axle is placed in the wheel upright base and the collar in the brake hub.

Again we put everything together for a short test fit.
michu
#36 Posted : 08 February 2017 14:15:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is a very impressive looking kit, I really like the livery. I'd probably consider it if I had storage available for another 1:8 scale model...

You're doing a great job with it, I guess the most taxing part so far were the decals? Looking seamless, well done.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
greyhawk
#37 Posted : 08 February 2017 15:30:19

The decals were actually quite easy to deal with once they stayed where they should.

The more nerve wracking part is all the spots you have to free of paint without damaging nearby areas. I'm quite a bit farther ahead in the build compared to published updates and there are some parts coming up where one really needs to be on the top of one's game to not accidentally scratch all that nice paintwork.

If you can find the room, I wholeheartedly recommend the kit. It is a lot of fun.
michu
#38 Posted : 08 February 2017 19:44:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

greyhawk wrote:
The decals were actually quite easy to deal with once they stayed where they should.

The more nerve wracking part is all the spots you have to free of paint without damaging nearby areas. I'm quite a bit farther ahead in the build compared to published updates and there are some parts coming up where one really needs to be on the top of one's game to not accidentally scratch all that nice paintwork.

If you can find the room, I wholeheartedly recommend the kit. It is a lot of fun.

I will consider then, probably will wait for some nice promotion though...

For now, in the F1 category, I have a Tamiya 1/12 McLaren MP4/6 with the full detail sets from both TopStudio and Thunder Valley, AZRM turned wheels, decals sets and tons of reference material. I'll be starting this one after I'm done with Porsche. Learning to focus! LOL
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Spal
#39 Posted : 08 February 2017 21:23:47

Another good update, the car does look good when complete in its striking colours.

Al
greyhawk
#40 Posted : 12 February 2017 19:16:26

That sounds awesome, michu. Will be interesting to see.

Thanks, Al

Stage 10 - Still assembling them front brakes (part 3)

We receive two halves of the left front upright and a whole bunch of air guides, spoilers, fins, etc. to kit it out with. We'll only need the upright halves this time around.

In a first step the left suspension arm is attached to the lower half of the upright. This is surprisingly fiddly as it's difficult to hold the arm and upright in the required positions with just one hand. Eventually I make it though.

The upright base we fitted with an axle last stage is then attached to the upper half of the upright. No problems here.

Last the two halves are joined with ABS and a screw.

In stage 11 we will repeat the exact same thing for the right suspension arm and will fit the air guides to both uprights.